11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the compliments and confidence boost, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebreth View Post
    Any stuff sack for it? I've always wanted to see how far this material would pack down. Pics if you get there or have them please!
    I haven't ventured that far. I don't imagine it packing down very well since it's so bulky. He's not much a stuff sack guy, so I'm waiting on that until I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGLONESTAR View Post
    ..."We're buildin' a quilt, not a watch...doesn't have to be perfect." Keep up the good work and make more stuff!
    That was a good reality check. I laughed when I saw that and remembered the video.

Quote Originally Posted by willys05tj View Post
    Looks good. I made a TQ & UQ using 5 oz Shield. The directions I had said to see with Shield side up and ripstop underneath, but with the extra Shield on the sides it would be hard to sew a seam. So I sewed it ripstop up and Shield on the bottom and it worked great. I used ripstop channels not grosgrain and it has worked just fine for me. The only issue I ran into was sewing the foot box.
    I learned the lesson about doing the climashield side down in the past. My first TQ I did with the insulation up and it was an absolutely nightmare. I wound up having to cut little strips of fabric to make it go smoother. As far as the channels, I'm a bit worried about long term longevity. That is why I sewed some GG on the ends of the channels where most of the wearing will take place. It's a fairly heavy quilt and I worry about the amount of strain that will put on that fabric channels while hanging. I guess we'll find out. Who knows...maybe this will be what spurs me to try a down quilt from scratch.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    RSBTR DIY Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    I understand your concern about the strain and wear, but I figured if the same fabric can handle the strain of my several pounds in the form of my hammock it should be able to manage the few ounces of the UQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I know it's just my insecurity since I've never done it that way before. Realistically, I know that the strain is really very minimal and the major wear points are mitigated by the grosgrain. If it were just for me, I wouldn't worry. I'll gladly kill myself for the betterment of hammock-kind.
    73 de W4BKR

...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

Hammock
    the travle hammock/eno dn
    Tarp
    hennesey asym
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    ring buckle/woopie

10-ish° Climashield Underquilt

honestly it looks great especially for a first... you should have seen mine 😨😨😨. needless to say I need to practice a little more 😂😂😂

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I think you did great. With practice it gets easier... As does everything. I make some gear for friends with the understanding that is my not a gear maker. I don't charge for the mistakes. They are free.

Now just find 5 more friends that need UQs. I guarantee the 5th one will look great. Look for my friend request! 😂

You may want to look into a walking foot. I don't own one but have heard good things when used with projects like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    It looks good to me. Also I like the color, and I'm sure it is cozy.

I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

I plan on making the same underquilt, same colors to boot. Are you happy with the added channels, and what would you need to change for be width to come out exactly as you had planned.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I'm happy with the channels. A bit unhappy with my sewing, but that's not the quilt itself. As far as intended length and width, I would add 3-4 inches to length and width to get it where I want. I didn't account for loft or loss allowance due to bad sewing. Thus, it was. A couple inches short of my mark.

73 de W4BKR

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willys05tj View Post
    Looks good. I made a TQ & UQ using 5 oz Shield. The directions I had said to see with Shield side up and ripstop underneath, but with the extra Shield on the sides it would be hard to sew a seam. So I sewed it ripstop up and Shield on the bottom and it worked great. I used ripstop channels not grosgrain and it has worked just fine for me. The only issue I ran into was sewing the foot box.

I made my UQ out of 7.5 and top using 5oz APEX.

I fought the stuff for hours making the UQ with the ripstop on bottom, APEX on top. Tried the newspaper, scrap fabric, all kinds of things with little luck.

Finally said the heck with it, put the APEX down on the feed dogs, ripstop up, and just "helped" it through. Worked like a champ. Made the TQ the same way, but sewed the ripstop layers first, then pinned them to the apex, trimmed, and sewed it on.

Works great and I cut my build time substantially not fighting it all the way.

Had this setup down to 20 degrees this past weekend. Had a little chill on the butt due to an air gap, but reworked the suspension to snug it up and it's golden now. Was camping without a tarp and with 10-15mph gusts that night. Now the quilt goes through the hooks and clips onto the whoopie slings with small ti biners from Dutch.

2016-11-12 14.22.31.jpg 2016-10-21 17.15.48.jpg
    "All alone in the night, I had my own thoughts..." ~Kerouac, On the Road

"Help me mamma, for I have grinned..."

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    RSBTR DIY Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    Quote Originally Posted by DelayedNeutron View Post
    I made my UQ out of 7.5 and top using 5oz APEX.

I fought the stuff for hours making the UQ with the ripstop on bottom, APEX on top. Tried the newspaper, scrap fabric, all kinds of things with little luck.

Finally said the heck with it, put the APEX down on the feed dogs, ripstop up, and just "helped" it through. Worked like a champ. Made the TQ the same way, but sewed the ripstop layers first, then pinned them to the apex, trimmed, and sewed it on.

Works great and I cut my build time substantially not fighting it all the way.

Had this setup down to 20 degrees this past weekend. Had a little chill on the butt due to an air gap, but reworked the suspension to snug it up and it's golden now. Was camping without a tarp and with 10-15mph gusts that night. Now the quilt goes through the hooks and clips onto the whoopie slings with small ti biners from Dutch.

2016-11-12 14.22.31.jpg 2016-10-21 17.15.48.jpg
    I like your choice of colors. Had mine out this weekend for a one nighter and hit 18*. I made mine with the ripstop channels. I cut the strips, sewed the ends, folded in half and sandwiched them between ripstop top and bottom. Pinned it to the 5 oz Apex and sewed it with ripstop up, Apex down. I have three sets this way and they have worked great. Definitely once I got the UQ adjusted right.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast