Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Bending A Hammock

I was taking with HC the other day at my sewing lesson and ran an idea by him for attaching cordage to a homemade hammock. Instead of using a whipping and a prussik, how about a double sheet bend backed up with 2 half hitches? If you look at this amimation, imagine the blue line as the hammock body and the red line as the line for suspension; ie: ring buckle, etc. I was thinking about using this method once I get my first hammock sewn, but wanted to get some other opinions on it first. Does anyone have anything to add about this? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any posts.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    it's a good idea my friend, but some others have already put it to use . i can't remember who they were now. could have been on the hammockcamping yahoo group.
    i seems to me that it would be a very secure method of attaching support to hammock... it would just involve a little more of the fabric in the attachment... no big deal though.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    it's a good idea my friend, but some others have already put it to use . i can't remember who they were now. could have been on the hammockcamping yahoo group.
    i seems to me that it would be a very secure method of attaching support to hammock... it would just involve a little more of the fabric in the attachment... no big deal though.
    Doggone, and I thought I'd really come up with something original. Oh well, I tried. I think it would be pretty secure method as well, that's kinda how I thought of it. I'm not sweating adding a little extra length to each end of the hammock, though. How much would you really need? Maybe an extra 6" on each end? As it stands now, I'm planning on using this method with my first hammock as soon as I can get my material in and my sewing machine adjusted so it's working well. We'll see how it goes.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

thats how I attached the webbing to my diy hammock, I got the idea from another thread a while back but I dont remember who first mentioned it. Anyway I can tell you that it is holding well- no slippage or wear. My two boys have given it a good stress test swinging around in it or worse yet trying to roll me out of it while napping in the back yard... It's also not too hard to undo if you want to change the folds or rolls of the hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southpawx3 View Post
    thats how I attached the webbing to my diy hammock, I got the idea from another thread a while back but I dont remember who first mentioned it. Anyway I can tell you that it is holding well- no slippage or wear. My two boys have given it a good stress test swinging around in it or worse yet trying to roll me out of it while napping in the back yard... It's also not too hard to undo if you want to change the folds or rolls of the hammock.
    Southpaw, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. It's good to know that someone else has tried this out before me, it makes me feel a lot easier about doing it when I'm ready. When I first thought of it, it seemed to be a good, secure way to attach suspension to the hammock and fairly easy at that. How much ovelap do you have in the hammock material to create the bend? I was thinking about 4-6" or so, but was just going to play with it to see how it all came out. We'll just see what happens with it when I finally get around to making the DIY hammock. I guess that's got to be first!

i don't remember how long i cut the nylon but i think it was around 10' total. Its plenty long for me and 60" wide but you shouldnt need more than 6" of material for the bend. I tied it loosely and got the folds where I wanted them then just worked the webbing tight leaving about an inch of material plus the hem coming thru the webbing. once you put some weight on it it will tighten down the rest of the way. Don't put off starting your hammock - you will be surprised how easily you can get it done!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    i don't remember how long i cut the nylon but i think it was around 10' total. Its plenty long for me and 60" wide but you shouldnt need more than 6" of material for the bend. I tied it loosely and got the folds where I wanted them then just worked the webbing tight leaving about an inch of material plus the hem coming thru the webbing. once you put some weight on it it will tighten down the rest of the way. Don't put off starting your hammock - you will be surprised how easily you can get it done!
    Thanks again, Southpaw. I have to get my sewing machine working first. I had my first sewing lesson last week with HC, but my machine was NOT cooperative at all. I'm going to take it in for repair or adjustment sometime soon, I hope, depending on finances( ). So you hang yours with webbing? My plan is to use 3.8mm spyderline to attach to the hammock with ring buckle supports. I'm pretty sure that would work as well. I still have to figure a definite length for my hammock, but am buying 60" ripstop, so that should be plenty wide enough, eventhought I do prefer a wider hammock.

yeah I'm still hanging in the dark ages just lashing the webbing around the tree and i still use tree huggers on my hennessy I keep wanting to try the ring buckles system but every time I open that thread I seem to get lost amongst all the posts

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I keep wanting to try the ring buckles system but every time I open that thread I seem to get lost amongst all the posts
    As long as that thread is, it's easy to happen. It'd take hours to read it all from start to finish if you weren't keeping up on it.

• + New Posts