Tarp
    Speer 8x10 CatTarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    webbing & cinch
    Images

what about the Weather Shield?

I would like to get some practical info about the JRB Weather Shield undercover.
    From what I have read, the weather shield really does work as far as waterproofing and wind resistance goes, but is this piece of equipment practical? If i buy it, will I ever use it on my thru-hike, or will a good tarp pretty much eliminate the worry of my underquilt getting wet?
    I know it also adds some warmth, but i just dont know if it is worth the money...

comments?
    "I leave here believing more than I had, this love has got no ceiling" - Eddie Vedder

Hammock
    Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    big JRB tarp
    Insulation
    JRB NoSniv/Mt Wash
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    The big advantage of the shield is that it's made from a breathable material which hopefully reduces some of the condensation possible in the bottom insulation. A regular tarp would probably sweat quite a bit if the temps dropped low enough. The price the Jacks ask for the modified poncho is pretty reasonable considering the normal retail price of the unmodified poncho. I sometimes carry mine if I think it's going to be windy here in the Rockies even though I pretty much loathe using a poncho for rain protection. I usually also take a normal rain jacket as well.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Just an observation. I have a JRB WS2, not the driduck model. When cold (below freezing nights) I've had frost build up along the foot and head ends on the outer layer of the UQ. Assuming my warm body vapor leaking out between the UQ and WS2 freezing at the ends. No WS2, no frost. Assuming any body vapor upon hitting the outer surface of the UQ is sucked dry by the cold, lower RH ambient air.

If there will be a very high chance of a wet trip in warmer weather or high risk of having to go to ground I will haul along the WS2. Otherwise it's in storage.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Assuming any body vapor upon hitting the outer surface of the UQ is sucked dry by the cold, lower RH ambient air.
    Or it could be freezing in your insulation as it touches the inside surface of the outer shell. Maybe the weathershield provides enough warmth for the moisture to get out of the quilt before it condenses.

Is it only on the sil part, or also on the DWR part?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Like koaloha05, I have a JRB WS2, not the driduck model. On cold (18/25 degree) nights heavy condensation built up on the sides of the UQ touching the sil part of the WS2. The UQ was very wet on the outside (not sure about the inside?). The surface condensation dried quickly when the WS2 was removed during the night . The WS2 definitely adds warmth, when removed at night I definitely was colder. So, it works, but getting my down wet in the process. I suspect the driduck model won't have this problem.

Any suggestions to avoid the condensation? I've hung it both snugged up close and loosely.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

I also have have the WS2 and have found something similar, after a very cold night I see moisture on the inside of the weather shield. However, my UQ is always dry, due to leaving a slight air gap between the UQ and the WS2. It seemed to me my quilt was pulling the moisture out and it was condensing on the WS2. I also use a synthetic underquilt so with a little dampness I wouldn't be in trouble like down.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I haven't found a way to leave that "slight gap". I opened up the ends but it still wraps closely around the middle (and is very loose at the ends).

How did you manage to leave that "slight gap?
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    I haven't found a way to leave that "slight gap". I opened up the ends but it still wraps closely around the middle (and is very loose at the ends).

How did you manage to leave that "slight gap?

Well I have two things that helped. My synthetic under quilt is only about 1.5-2 inches thick so it doesn't take up as much space as one of the bigger down quilts. I also don't pull the length up tight against the hammock, instead I leave more of the ends uncovered. This left a 2-3 inch gap between my quilt and the WS.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I had the DriDuck model and it ripped. I replaced it with the SW2 as the DriDuck model was discontinued. My experience is I carried the DriDuck and found it to be useful. The SW2, not so much, I don't even think of carrying it now. I never got into really cold weather with the SW2, it just didn't seem to add much to my overall comfort. I wouldn't carry the SW2 for a thru hike - too much added weight for not a lot of gain in comfort.

• + New Posts