Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

Stakes vs the Frozen Ground

I'm just starting to get more into cold weather camping. In Virginia, that tends to mean cold temperatures but not much in the way of the white stuff. I was out this past weekend and the ground was nice and frozen. I was using some Y stakes and wound up sacrificing some (about half) to the God of Lost and Broken Equipment. What's the secret to staking out when the ground is frozen, there is no snow to dig into, and you've exhausted all the "natural stakes" (sticks, rocks, roots, etc)? Bigger stakes? Smaller Stakes? Head back to the car and grab a beer and a steak?
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I know that you said "exhausted all the "natural stakes"" but I would probably say that finding some decent size rocks (say 25lbs-35lbs) to tie off to is the way to go if there are no other options.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I've typically gone with nearby rocks or extending my lines to reach and tie off to nearby trees. But if that isn't an option, I carry a handful of 8" titanium nail stakes. They're very simple and not that great for anything but very hard soil. I've pounded them into rocky, frozen soil a number of times and haven't broken or bent one yet.
    I'd recommend bringing the beer and steak from the car regardless

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Lol. I just staked out this weekend. I also have the Y steaks. I used some wood we cut for the fire to pound them in. I only set them 4 or 5 " deep so I can still hit the top to loosen them up.
    I'm throwing around the idea of getting TI tent nails....tho the ones I want are around 60$

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've pounded y-stakes into frozen ground...man do those stay in the ground after that!! Luckily the one time I did it was at home so I was able to pour some hot water on them. I guess I could do that in the field, but that's a waste of fuel and water. No, I'm not going to pee on them!

Cold without snow is basically misery, hell, torture to me. I don't find myself in this situation, but if I did, the nail stakes sound like a winner.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The best stakes I've found for use in frozen ground are long nails. Some use 6" Gutter spikes. I like the 8" or 10" landscape spikes (really big common nail) that are readily available at any big box hardware store.

The trick to using them is to not pound them in all the way. Leave 1" or so sticking out. To remove them when packing up just tap them in a little further with whatever hammer device you used to pound them in. This will break the hold that that frost in the ground has on them and they will pull right out.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    +1 for the titanium nail "stakes". I prefer them when the natural stakes are scarce. I carry 4-8 of the 8" on most every trip.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Ti nail stakes are best. The worst is the Pine Barrens in NJ. The ground is all sand and it becomes concrete in the winter. I use aluminum gutter nails which I know will be ruined but they are so cheap I don't care. I will also use small logs. One on each side of my tarp to tie to.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Ti nail stakes are best. The worst is the Pine Barrens in NJ. The ground is all sand and it becomes concrete in the winter. I use aluminum gutter nails which I know will be ruined but they are so cheap I don't care. I will also use small logs. One on each side of my tarp to tie to.
    Have you ever thought about making a TI nail with Fleaz type integration?

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Ti nail stakes are best. The worst is the Pine Barrens in NJ. The ground is all sand and it becomes concrete in the winter.
    Amen to that - I remember my first time in sub-freezing weather in the Pine Barrens. I saw other people sweeping snow away from under their hammocks and tarps, so I did the same. Little did I know that the snow was insulating the ground, keeping it from freezing. Note to self - don't sweep away perfectly good snow from underneath your hammock and tarp!

Luckily, people with more experience had brought a hammer. I always carry one in sub-freezing weather, weight penalty be darned. Sometimes a hammer is the only way to get a stake in, or out, of the ground, especially in the sandy soil of the Pine Barrens.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast