Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good stuff. I'm going out tonight in the yard. Did my first overnight backpacking trip on Monday night and learned lots of less. I think it got down to 23 or 24, but I'm guessing with the winds on top of the mountain, it was more like feels like 10-15. Had a slight chill a whole bunch of times, but made it through. Wind seemed to cut through my UQ a little. I'll need to plan site selection a little better. I did have a shelter to sleep at if needed and worst case I could've hiked 2 miles out. Most of my winter trips this year will probably be on the AT nearby.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Time for a cotton canvas Sock. Being in the open your getting wind hammered and dew/frost hammered. The toughest conditions to be managed which means when you get back into/under the trees it will be easy peasy to manage each.
    Frost on everything is normal (far from the snowing point though) and I find my quilts dry fast....especially in a hot tent or when I bring them in to the house in the morning. -23c last night and there was frost on my quilts even in the canvas hot tent.
    Already close to -24c currently so going to be a awesome sleep out night tonight as I continue pushing new to me lows.
    The stacking of my 20* and 0* quilts keep me super warm at these temps...almost to warm really with just a base layer of merino but rather be toasty than chasing cold spots.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    ... people will think I'm some kinda nutjob.
    Gee I wonder why?

People think I'm crazy when I tell them I'm sleeping in my hammock in the back yard. They're probably right, come to think of it.

Glad your kit performed to standards. Man, 3* that's freaking COLD lol. I'm waiting for a night in the teens here (GA) to try it again- none in the forecast so far.

What do you think you can do to solve your condensation issues?

Screenshot_20161215-061529.png

Awesome stuff!

I'm testing out my gear this weekend; Saturday into Sunday. The low is supposed to get down to 0°F and I couldn't be more thrilled. This will be the first time I can try my new incubator 0°

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Winter gear test!

Probably testing mine out again this weekend. Maybe friday night or maybe saturday morning. Not sleeping overnight in the snow storm. I am just testing for short time practicing setup>nap> take down. Saturday will be 25-40 mph win with snow and drifts. Should be a nice test for my new gear and full coverage tarp. Definitely not on sunday though. High of -7 without wind chill. But wind doesnt matter under the tarp

Snowshoeing out to my spot about a mile from the house. Its out on a peninsula of a lake so gets really windy. Should be interesting. Hoping my dutch order ships tomorrow cus ill need my new Ti nail stakes for the frozen ground and pole mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gbrugs; 12-15-2016 at 07:08.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Slept out in -11º last night under my Warbonnet Superfly and was warm in my Loco Libre Mucho Habenaro -10º UQ and my Warbonnet 0º Black Mamba TQ with my Hammock Gear 30º TQ inside that...just to be super toasty.
    A fine nights slumber.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Slept out in -11º last night under my Warbonnet Superfly and was warm in my Loco Libre Mucho Habenaro -10º UQ and my Warbonnet 0º Black Mamba TQ with my Hammock Gear 30º TQ inside that...just to be super toasty.
    A fine nights slumber.
    Shug
    The best part of this forum.....I can show my wife that I am not the only person who would gladly leave a nice warm bed in a heated home to sleep in the backyard at subfreezing temps.

There's safety in numbers and it's good to be among others of my kind.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Everyone needs to test their gear out for safety, or at least I need to. My neighbors must think I am crazy though. I am lucky enough to test my new Dream Hammock out in the heat wave of 10 degrees we have coming tonight. Also with a little snow it will be nice to wake up to being only a few feet from the door. I am hoping the double layer of the Dream Hammock keeps the wind out and lays a little better than the Eno.

IMG_1039.jpgIMG_1042.jpg

I also have to work with the hang a little, not use to an 11 ft hammock after using the 9.5 Eno for so long. So I may be up and down all night. Working on a shoulder ridge issue at the moment trying to correct it. Good luck with the gear tests everyone.

All this talk of winter gear testing is tempting me. Supposed to hit 3 degrees tonight here in Michigan. Definitely planning on tomorrow night since we're getting 5-8" of snow and I'd like to see how much I can button up my HG CF standard tarp w/doors.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    My neighbors must think I am crazy though.

IMG_1039.jpg
    I can see a peeping tom right now in that little window next door looking out thinking "what the...this guy is crazy!"

They bumped my low temps up to 14° and 12°, but that's fine. I'm over 4 hours drive away and 5 miles from the car so it's not quite a test

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast