Diy argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Diy sil nylon
    Insulation
    Diy multicam uq+tq
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Staying warm

well.... winter started and my only tq is the wilderness logics sstq. I am not worried about insulation under me, I have a underquilt but I guess I'm weird because I prefer to use my thermarest neoair xlite. I am worried about overall top insulation though. Any tips to stay warm at all not just top insulation but whole body? Hammock socks, pods, cheap tqs? I want to try to do it as cheap as possible but I don't mind spending money for quality. I am very comfortable with diy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Diy argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Diy sil nylon
    Insulation
    Diy multicam uq+tq
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Military hiker View Post
    well.... winter started and my only tq is the wilderness logics sstq. I am not worried about insulation under me, I have a underquilt but I guess I'm weird because I prefer to use my thermarest neoair xlite. I am worried about overall top insulation though. Any tips to stay warm at all not just top insulation but whole body? Hammock socks, pods, cheap tqs? I want to try to do it as cheap as possible but I don't mind spending money for quality. I am very comfortable with diy.

I'm having this problem because I just moved from Florida to Rhode Island

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Drape-tie a fleece blanket or two snapped together froggtoggs ponchos over hammock ridgeline. Wear warm toboggans while sleeping. Augment with HotHands hand warmers anywhere you get cold. Make sure all your clothes are dry and stay dry before sleep. Socks should be dry and loose. Use an underquilt protector. I used to have a pad from GossamerGear 40 wide by 72 long by 3/16 I think--very warm-no draft gets through. Then I changed to 20 underquilt and then a zero underquilt. And you can lower your tarp as low as possible and stake it close to ground. Good luck--no fun being cold--most everyone here has been cold at least once!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Most of my clothes are cotton--I think the real winter hiker campers use wool and or synthetics and or down clothes to stay warm.
    High my
    High my
    High my gonna smell my way home if I don't have stinking cotton clothes!

Hammock
    Hennessey Jungle Explorer
    Tarp
    Hex Assmembly
    Insulation
    Radiant Double Bub
    Suspension
    Straps
    Keep your head covered,ie.fleece cap.

Robin
    Hennessey Jungle Explorer Zip Double Bottom
    Hex Symetrical 70D Rainfly
    Radiant Double Pad,Potomac UQ
    Snake Skinz

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Definitely hanging your tarp low and close to your hammock and then staking the sides down as close to ground level as you can and orienting your hammock and tarp set up so that the tarp is blocking the brunt of the wind will go a long ways towards keeping you warmer. Also, if you're on a tight budget, adding a SnugPak underquilt on in addition to your pad will help a lot for very little money. (I picked up a SnugPak UQ on sale a year or so back for $35 and free shipping. Without a pad it took me down to the mid-thirties comfortably. With it and a pad together, I was comfortable even lower. The SnugPak UQ is cheaper than an UQ Protectir and will block more wind than a regular UQP can. BUT it is too bulky and heavy to be ideal for hiking with...but fine for car camping!)

Finally, for top insulation, I'd recommend you DIY a synthetic top quilt. I have zero sewing skills, but have recently DIY'd first a summer UQ (tired of lugging my warm but BULKY SnugPak UQ when hiking) and that turned out so well and worked so beautifully that I quickly tackled a summer topquilt and then a winter modification for the summer topquilt. My winter version has kept me toasty down to 18 degrees so far. I haven't gotten to test it any lower than that yet. My top quilt was relatively inexpensive to make. I bought fabric remnants (calendared Hyper D for the inner shell and Argon for the outer shell--2 yards of each--and used Apex Climashield inside).

This breakdown from http://RipStopByTheRoll.com was very helpful to me when planning out my topquilt build.

IMG_5014.jpg

I used 2 yards of 2.5 oz Climashield for my summer topquilt. And, because I'm short, I only needed 1 yard of CS 5.0 and 2 more yards of Hyper D (uncalendared) to make the winter insert that turns my summer topquilt into a winter topquilt. RipStopByTheRoll sells remnants, which can save you a few bucks. If you're already ordering fabric from RipStop, might as well throw in the Climashield too. But, if you are ONLY ordering Climashield, you're better off ordering it from http://dutchwaregear.com because you'll save quite a bit on the shipping there. (Dutch's site is also where you'll find Argon.) BOTH these vendors are awesome. Dutch's other site, http://makeyourgear.com has detailed instructions for DIYing an underquilt. I followed his plans to a T and wound up with an excellent underquilt. I then just took what I had learned following his underquilt plans step by step and adapted it to a topquilt...making it longer and wider and making a drawcord foot box using the same kind of channels his free plans had taught me how to make.

Good luck! Four season camping on a tight budget is definitely do-able. And DIYing is addictive!

Edit: LOL! MilitaryHiker, I just now looked at your equipment listing in the margin of your post. Looks like you're already an old hand at DIYing!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-17-2016 at 08:30.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    i would really go for proper topquilt solution or sleeping bag

you can always play with protectors, socks, or stuff sacks afterwards

Hammock
    Diy argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Diy sil nylon
    Insulation
    Diy multicam uq+tq
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Definitely hanging your tarp low and close to your hammock and then staking the sides down as close to ground level as you can and orienting your hammock and tarp set up so that the tarp is blocking the brunt of the wind will go a long ways towards keeping you warmer. Also, if you're on a tight budget, adding a SnugPak underquilt on in addition to your pad will help a lot for very little money. (I picked up a SnugPak UQ on sale a year or so back for $35 and free shipping. Without a pad it took me down to the mid-thirties comfortably. With it and a pad together, I was comfortable even lower. The SnugPak UQ is cheaper than an UQ Protectir and will block more wind than a regular UQP can. BUT it is too bulky and heavy to be ideal for hiking with...but fine for car camping!)

Finally, for top insulation, I'd recommend you DIY a synthetic top quilt. I have zero sewing skills, but have recently DIY'd first a summer UQ (tired of lugging my warm but BULKY SnugPak UQ when hiking) and that turned out so well and worked so beautifully that I quickly tackled a summer topquilt and then a winter modification for the summer topquilt. My winter version has kept me toasty down to 18 degrees so far. I haven't gotten to test it any lower than that yet. My top quilt was relatively inexpensive to make. I bought fabric remnants (calendared Hyper D for the inner shell and Argon for the outer shell--2 yards of each--and used Apex Climashield inside).

This breakdown from http://RipStopByTheRoll.com was very helpful to me when planning out my topquilt build.

IMG_5014.jpg

I used 2 yards of 2.5 oz Climashield for my summer topquilt. And, because I'm short, I only needed 1 yard of CS 5.0 and 2 more yards of Hyper D (uncalendared) to make the winter insert that turns my summer topquilt into a winter topquilt. RipStopByTheRoll sells remnants, which can save you a few bucks. If you're already ordering fabric from RipStop, might as well throw in the Climashield too. But, if you are ONLY ordering Climashield, you're better off ordering it from http://dutchwaregear.com because you'll save quite a bit on the shipping there. (Dutch's site is also where you'll find Argon.) BOTH these vendors are awesome. Dutch's other site, http://makeyourgear.com has detailed instructions for DIYing an underquilt. I followed his plans to a T and wound up with an excellent underquilt. I then just took what I had learned following his underquilt plans step by step and adapted it to a topquilt...making it longer and wider and making a drawcord foot box using the same kind of channels his free plans had taught me how to make.

Good luck! Four season camping on a tight budget is definitely do-able. And DIYing is addictive!

Edit: LOL! MilitaryHiker, I just now looked at your equipment listing in the margin of your post. Looks like you're already an old hand at DIYing!
    Thanks, I've already made a winter climashield apex quilt with 2 layers of 7.5 oz climashield but it's way overkill and a little heavy for my liking

• + New Posts