WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps

No Joy! Forced to bail out at -18*

An overnight excursion to my backyard hanging locale ended prematurely last evening. While my topside stayed relatively toasty under 2 stacked Hammock Gear 20* Burrows, the combination of 20* Incubator, 0* incubator and UQP was not enough to get me to dawn (-20* per local weather resources). At just past 4:00 and a temp reading of -17* my backside started to feel the sting/burn of the cold. I attempted a bit of repositioning and quilt adjustments but got not relief. Wind was not a factor due to snow walls I built with yesterday's snowfall. At 4:30 the temperature drop to -18* forced me, for the first time since my sleeping pad nights, to abandon the hammock for warmth of the house.

I have had issues keeping the stacked underquilts aligned. On my next attempt at this temp range I may try to connect the quilts together rather than just hanging the 0* below the 20*. I also have a 40* Incubator. I had not conceived that I'd ever need to stack 3 underquilts but, I may give that a try tonight.

One more night expected in this cold spell but, not projected to get as low as last night. My goal this winter is to achieve a comfortable sub -20* night with my existing gear.

Open to suggestions.

I'll keep you posted
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    It got down to -12.6 here with a Real Feel of -27. Windy. Stacked my Hammock Gear Zero plus one and my Hammock Gear 20 sets. Like you my top was toasty. I did get a cold spot like you on my backside. Readjusted this and that. Finally figured out my problem. First on my foot end my 20 degree was extended out past my zero quilt. Readjusted that. I then tightened my zero degree bottom quilt really tight. More then normal for my set up. I was much warmer. I also climbed in with socks and a synthetic base layer. More then I normally wear. Feel like I got a little to warm and damp especially around the waistband. Ditched the set and went with my normal wear. Felt much better. Hope this helps.Take care, Al

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hum.. The stacking of these under quilts must be nearly impossible to keep things aligned plus any gaps would reduce the combined temp rating of -20° of your underquilts. I think you were simply pushing the limits of your quilts. Personally I have a 10-15° rule where I'm not comfortable when the temps reach approximately 15° of my quilt rating so at about -10 I would have more than likely bailed. Bottom line sounds like you need more insulation on the bottom.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    comfortable -20* in a hammock ....we would never even get to take the challenge in TN If we see single digits we are excited to test.

Maybe try the 0* against the hammock then the 20*? That way you get the most out of the 0*.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Try the 0 degree against the hammock. Use additional suspension at the midway point to help pull the quilts up to your bottom. Make sure your not compressing the insulation. When you stack you need to beef up the suspension. I believe shockcord does not work as well in sub zero temps.

A small ccf pad under your butt helps.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I agree that the shock cord sags at -21 this morning. The front of my Greylock 3 had a slight gap. Maybe redoing the UQ suspension with shock cord on only one end for cold weather? How else would you beef up the suspension for stacking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    If you have side pull outs on your hammock run a extra line of shot-cord with as many quilt hooks necessary,attach them to the mini triangle tie outs on your quilt if they have them, I do this on my wider hammocks to keep my quilt in check, no reason it would not work on stacking since it solves the same issue.

But I use the same bungee tie out and tie knots at the length to the same distance as the tie out hooks are and instead of clipping on the end I clip it on with the knot to the outside, this makes my tieout line serve 2 functions and keeps weight down.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well you gave it the ol' college try. I slept in my Pod (20º WM sleeping bag) with my 20º Incubator inside that and my HG 20º Burrow. Got too hot. Was sweating. Down jacket over footbox. So warm. Actually mildly sweaty. Incubator may have been to much.
    Re stack and try again...winter is long here.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I have stacked synthetics successfully and be down well below zero many days.

When I tried stacking down under quilts in sub zero weather w/ 20-30mph winds, I had an epic fail. Hopped right out of the hammock when I couldn't take it anymore and yanked the first quilt out. It was a costco conversion. Went w/ my standard 20º UGQ Zeppelin and an UQP and made it through the night no problem. I would want a 0º for going any lower but those gaps created when I stacked down quilts, killed me. It was misery.

I'd rather go w/ a slightly underrated under quilt and a UQP than try to stack and deal w/ gaps. I always sleep in minimal base layers but if I were cold, I'd just throw on the middle layer and go with it.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I would add, there is nothing like cold weather to have you work out the finer points of under quilt suspension techniques. Hanging outdoors for an entire Winter provided ample opportunity to figure out what works and what didn't. Still like to experiment from time to time, but for sure, gotta love the long cold winters for gear testing.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast