Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie

DIY Under Quilt from Scratch Project

Hi,

after reading much about the pros and cons of using a Costco throw to make an under quilt, I have decided to look at just making it from scratch. My wife is into sewing quilts as a hobby so she knows her way around the sewing machine.

I live in So California so I will want something that goes down to 20 deg outside max. Mostly actual temps will be 35 - 55 at night. I will want to use this on my Warbonnet Black Bird XLC. I do have it coming with the Winter Cover FYI. It also will have the second layer for adding reflectix or pad, again fyi.

First are the good instructions on making an Under Quilt from scratch?

I am looking for direction to getting the following:

1) Material for top and bottom. What should I use? Ripstop, taffeta or other and does anybody have any links to places that sell it. I know about http://diygearsupply.com/ but not sure if rip stop is what I should use.

2) Any plans? Do I just figure the length and width or do I taper?

3) Best rigging system. Hooks, line etc.

4) Down - How much and what type do I use. I was looking at getting this on Amazon.

Any help appreciated. I would be great to have all the parts and material as a kit if it in fact significant money. I do like making things myself as it helps you really understand how and why things work and you then can customize to your likes.

Tom

RipstopByTheRoll.com has kits and some project guides. Worth checking out and reading up on. I know one or two of the projects are for down quilts, but a lot are for synthetic insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mwms77 View Post
    RipstopByTheRoll.com has kits and some project guides. Worth checking out and reading up on. I know one or two of the projects are for down quilts, but a lot are for synthetic insulation.

So I can use synthetic - No problem how much heavier is it. I can imagine it is more that 4 ounces heavier. And does it give same warmth?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    So I can use synthetic - No problem how much heavier is it. I can imagine it is more that 4 ounces heavier. And does it give same warmth?
    Synthetic climashield Apex is heavier, but not insanely heavier for the same warmth when looking at 20 degree quilt. Down is a little lighter, but more significantly, packs much smaller. It also handles compression from packing much better. Apex and other synthetics lose their ability to loft after many compressions much faster then down.

Synthetic has a significant edge with moisture. Down clumps when wet, and stop insulating. Synthetic retains insulating properties, and dry's faster. There is hydrophobic treated down that handles some moisture, but eventually it sets out and clumps also.

If you are backpacking where a little weight, and pack space are at a premium consider down. If you are car camping, or even canoeing/kayaking consider synthetic.

Edit: synthetic is also much easier for a first sewing project. Down requires more sewing, more layout, and the stuffing of down (which can be a nightmare mess).

That's a question with a lot of answers. It depends on the loft and overstuff of down vs the weight of the climashield. To way over generalize, the down will compress better and generally gives a better warmth to weight ratio, especially at lower temperatures, but is more expensive as well. The climashield is slightly heavier, again especially at lower temperatures, and does not compress as small, but is more generally less expensive. In my experience the climashield is easier to work with when learning as a new DIY'er.

All my opinions, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Synthetic climashield Apex is heavier, but not insanely heavier for the same warmth when looking at 20 degree quilt. Down is a little lighter, but more significantly, packs much smaller. It also handles compression from packing much better. Apex and other synthetics lose their ability to loft after many compressions much faster then down.

Synthetic has a significant edge with moisture. Down clumps when wet, and stop insulating. Synthetic retains insulating properties, and dry's faster. There is hydrophobic treated down that handles some moisture, but eventually it sets out and clumps also.

If you are backpacking where a little weight, and pack space are at a premium consider down. If you are car camping, or even canoeing/kayaking consider synthetic.

Edit: synthetic is also much easier for a first sewing project. Down requires more sewing, more layout, and the stuffing of down (which can be a nightmare mess).
    Missed this post when responding. Couldn't have said it better!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mwms77 View Post
    That's a question with a lot of answers. It depends on the loft and overstuff of down vs the weight of the climashield. To way over generalize, the down will compress better and generally gives a better warmth to weight ratio, especially at lower temperatures, but is more expensive as well. The climashield is slightly heavier, again especially at lower temperatures, and does not compress as small, but is more generally less expensive. In my experience the climashield is easier to work with when learning as a new DIY'er.

All my opinions, so take it with a grain of salt.

I will definitely be be backpacking and space and weight are important.

So are there good plans for DIY for underquilt from scratch with Down? And how much and what type down should use. Should I even attempt it?? Will it be that much of a savings?

T
    Last edited by tommygun; 12-18-2016 at 20:43.

I will definitely be be backpacking and space and weight are important.
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/c...backpacking-tq

That's a good project to check out on the ripstop website to get an idea how the quilts are made and what materials are used. From there I would look around the DIY forum here and look at some of the down underquilts other people have made to narrow down your design.

• + New Posts