Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge runner or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Super
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/DIY
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch bro
    Thanks guys. I feel better that I'm not the only weird one who feels the "need" to have something covering me even when it is super hot outside. It was to hot for me with the wobble, so I did some searching through my totes of random camping gear that I never use any more and ran across an old sleeping bag liner that was ginormous. I ripped the seams and re-sewed into 2 very lightweight blankets.
    Then as I was drinking an adult beverage (or 6) I had the idea to sew one of them with a footbox. Will report success/failure as I do some testing.

thanks!
    J
    Last edited by mahaney; 12-20-2016 at 20:13.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mahaney View Post
    Thanks guys. I feel better that I'm not the only weird one who feels the "need" to have something covering me even when it is super hot outside. It was to hot for me with the wobble, so I did some searching through my totes of random camping gear that I never use any more and ran across an old sleeping bag liner that was ginormous. I ripped the seams and re-sewed into 2 very lightweight blankets.
    Then as I was drinking an adult beverage (or 6) I had the idea to sew one of them with a footbox. Will report success/failure as I do some testing.

thanks!
    J
    it's not weird to want a cover sleeping outdoors. a lot of times I won't use my bug net if I don't absolutely need it. not all parts of our body feel that same warmth and even a very slight breeze can be disturbing against bare skin...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    When it is hot I do not need covers but outside where bugs roam I would opt for a cover of some kind. For just that reason I have bought a couple of Dutch quilt liners, so could cope with that if necessary. For cooler weather especially if it is extremely humid I would opt for synthetic quilts as they are not so vulnerable to dampness. Though I think some microfleece blankets might offer enough warmth.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner / Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    12oz curls
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    This past summer I just used an old bed sheet. I didn't need it for warmth but I seem to sleep better with something on top. I'm planning on getting a liner soon so I'll probably use that

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    For cool summer nights where I want something over top of me but not something designed for 20°F (because that would be way to hot) I bought a new quilt from HG - a Burrow 50.
    I really like the Burrow 50 - being down filled it packs really small (helpful for moto-camping) and it keeps me warm on cool spring/summer nights. In winter it would not have enough insulation so I will get out my more insulated gear.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I don't camp in very hot weather. When I say I three-season camp I mean Winter, Spring, Fall. South Carolina is pretty **** miserable in the summer, even going high up in NC can be tough depending on the weather (although I've been on Mount Pisgah in the summer in mist and 60 degrees when Columbia SC was 99, its a rarity). On warmer days I usually just use my fleece bag liner, which I made out of a TexSport 55 degree "sleeping bag". I cut the zippers off and made it sort of a mummy bag.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    My poncho liner is the go-to for any warm weather sleeping. I'll skip the underquilt or pad and just kind of roll up in the liner. If it's really hot I'll put the liner down first and lay on top. That way it keeps the sweat off my hammock and I can just kind of drape the edges over top of me to ventilate if needed.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    You can find something like what JohnSpenn mentions out of the Chinese sites for as little as $8.
    I ripped the zipper out, took the pillow pocket off, then cut it open and did a quick gathered footbox. I think it is about 4oz.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

I bought to Big Agnes UL ground clothes for a discontinued tent in a clearance sale for about $25 each. They weigh almost nothing. I are oddly shaped but I have used them as a wind break, a sleeping cover and a shade, so far. I am trying to figure out if I can easily configure one of them to use as a rain poncho. I am new to ultralight and not a particularly "craftly" person, but it does get hot and buggy down here in South Alabama.

I've had good luck with a snugpak jungle blanket in warm months. It still gives you a "sleeping bag" type feel but is plenty warm but also cool to the touch if that makes any sense. It also has a built in bugnet/bivy type of thing if your into that but I've never used it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast