Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are D-rings necessary for light weight tarps?

Looking at throwing together a simple asym tarp for a first project and also as an ultra light weight tarp for when I want to travel light.

Someone correct me, but as long as I'm using larkshead knots with guylines I shouldn't need d-rings in the webbing loops. Has anyone found otherwise?

I used a tarp with webbing loops for years. The tarp wore out before the webbing

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I made two tarps with no D rings. My only regret is that my webbing loops aren't a little bigger, otherwise, they work great!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    No d-rings needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    My first tarp had metal d rings. They never stayed in place right. one bent open and came off the webbing.

The beastee dee rings are awesome but not necessary. I used two for just the ridge line for added strength and durability long term.

A fine and strong cord may cut the webbing.( spiderwire)

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I use the loops on my Kelty without issues so for. If you really want to save weight you could ditch the loops and use sheet bend knots to attach the guylines. I've done it on cheap w-mart tarps when the grommet ripped out, car camping.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    'D' rings on the webbing loops are not compulsory...its your choice.
    They work fine without.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    With respect to all responses so far, I guess I am going to argue in the minority.

The way the OP phrased the question is interesting: "Are D-rings necessary?"

Necessary? Clearly, no, because one can create a functional tarp without them, but why stop there? By that definition, reinforcement patches aren't strictly "necessary". Neither are rolled hems, really, and if you just larkshead each Dyneema guy line around hollow plastic bead in every corner of an unfinished sil-poly tarp blank, you could actually dispense with thread entirely in your rain fly build...

Would I advocate personally for any of these omissions of "unnecessary" construction features? No, I would not, because IMHO they all represent improvements with minimal penalties in weight, work, and/or resources that potentially (and in some cases substantially) improve the trailworthiness, useful lifetime, and practical value of the tarp.

Four 1/2" Beastee Dee rings on the corners of a lightweight asym tarp would add less than 2 grams to the weight of the build and cost less than a dollar; made from ultrastrong and ultralightweight acetal copolymer, they add orders of magnitude to the break, abrasion, and cut resistance of grosgrain ribbon alone. While not technically "necessary", it is certainly fair to argue that they are a are a valid reasoned choice.

I'll admit that part of my personal bias toward trailworthiness and robusticity stems from the fact that I hate it when stuff breaks in the backcountry; I can usually rig a field-expedient fix for my camping gear, but I guess I just prefer it when stuff works and lasts. I don't have anyone reaching over my shoulder to put my gear on a gram scale, so I don't derive as much of what Skurka calls "Type II" satisfaction from shaving a fraction of an ounce at the expense of basic sturdiness or function. I fully accept that others may come at their own projects from a different perspective.

That said, the OP was about D-rings on an asym tarp, and my advice would be, for 2 grams, why not?

Ultimately, as in the rest of life, it comes down to trade-offs, maximizing the advantages one's choices afford while minimizing the effects of any disadvantages.

Please understand that I have no investment in anyone's choice of features for a DIY tarp. Hang your own hang, to be sure, but I think as each of us plans projects, it is useful to consider carefully and prioritize our choices of attributes for of each build and then let the construction feature set reflect those choices accordingly.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    My UL square tarp has no hardware, just 0.5" grosgrain loops. I have ridden out some serious weather under it, used it for couple dozen nights, and so far, it's no worse for wear. If minimum weight is the goal, I'd leave them off. If you put them on, you can always just snip them off later.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I just use the little triangle rings on 3/8" grosgrain. Never had a problem with it.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast