Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Yeti v/s crowsnest

I have a WBBB and am having trouble deciding which underquilt would be best. I am 270#, 5' 8" and stocky with broad shoulders. The yeti is asym cut but narrower than the crowsnest. The crowsnest is longer and wider, yet it is tapered at both ends. I have saw on here where some people have had the yeti slip off the left shoulder, yet the taper and the non asym cut on the crowsnest could present the same problem. I like the fact that the yeti can be slid to open a draft for warmer weather. Not sure if the crowsnest has the bungie the full length or attaches at the corners. I like both of these quilts equally well, just want the best one for my body type. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm partial to the Yetis, mainly because they're my go-to uqs. But, I'm very interested to hear the comments from the Crowsnest owners because I've already decided that a Crowsnest is going on the "gear I want" list for 2010.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    As far as I know the crowsnest can use the same suspension as the yeti just meaning there is a channel running down each side hem for the bungee. I have some trouble with any quilt staying on my left shoulder. So I sewn a elastic loop on the hem of my hammocks the attach that corner of the quilt. I think the tapered end is caused by shock cords that hold it tight to the hammock while openning up while laying in it. Both are top quality quilts and you can not make a bad choice here. I would look at your body type rather then which quilt. Wider shoulders or if you are tall, go with the Crownest. If you are average height with a small frame go with the yeti.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have some trouble with any quilt staying on my left shoulder. So I sewn a elastic loop on the hem of my hammocks the attach that corner of the quilt. .
    I have that same trouble and had to do the same.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    I have that same trouble and had to do the same.
    I'm a fixin to also.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    well i can help alittle with this...
    i'm testing a yeti and i can tell you th yeti is really nice....
    i also have a crowsnest on the way i should have it soon so i can tell ya more about the crowsnest in a week or 2

as for the yeti ..it is alittle narrow for my taste...but it's still a very good UQ
    i took a 3 season yeti down to 15 degrees and was nice and warm...
    with both the yeti and the 3/4 crowsnest you will need something under our legs...i use a pad cut down to fit into my footbox of my TQ ...and i put my down vest and pants in the layers of my hammock at the foot end to keep the back of my legs warm

for a bigger frame guy i would say the crowsnest...but like i said i can tell ya more when i get the crowsnest and give it a test run
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

The crowsnest

Hi there banjaritis,

Sounds like you will be warm whichever you choose. Brandon makes some great stuff, of that there is no doubt.

To answer some of your questions concerning my 3/4 quilts... You can order them with a channel style suspension similar to that of the Yeti or you can order it with attachments on the corners for a JRB or Te-wa style suspension. The channel style seems to be the popular way to go these days. People seem to like the ability to slide the quilt back and forth to "dial it in".

The tapered ends do not seem to cause much shoulder slippage, at least none that I have heard of yet.

Off topic: I probably wont be able to reply to this as I am heading out the door to do the next round of family house to house jumping...

Sorry I have not been on the forum too much lately. The new venture has me burning the candle at both ends...a good thing no doubt! Between suppliers taking the holidays off and dialing in a new top quilt design, I am just a little behind on early orders. I will be shipping lots of stuff out on Mon though! Again, sorry to the OP for going way off topic

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everybody.......I decided on the Crowsnest.
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When I was looking to move into UQs I looked at both. I can't comment on the Yeti but it's niche seems to be it's quality, longitudinal adjustability, small packable size and lightness.
    Not being a gram weenie, I put a high value on performance and durability. Living close to stormcrow, I was fortunate to hear of the custom UQs he was designing and bought the full and 3/4 nameless prototypes. The 3/4 (Now called the Ptarmigan) had 13.8 oz of 800 and features both hanging systems, channel and 4 corner end loops. The solution to shoulder slippage appears to be hooking the channel and the grosgain loops on the head end with the JRB suspension . I just tie overhand loops in the shockcord on the foot end and connect to the JRB. This fixes the very wide head end vertically and minimizes lateral shift of the UQ while still maintaining lateral/vertical support of the foot end. Downside is you lose some of the longitudinal stretching of a grosgain loop support, but this is less of a problem with the 3/4 as the full UQ where I use both at both ends. Packed size is still small, just not as small as the Yeti.
    I should mention that the customer chooses which system they want their UQ to come with. That is an advantage of Adams custom design concept.
    All the cottage UQs have excellent reputations for quality. The Crowsnest, er I mean the Ptarmigan was the solution for me.
    Hope this helps...
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I'll chime in.

I've used my 3 Season Yeti in summer and early fall. The issue with it slipping off of your shoulder happens to me occasionally too. Mostly when I roll over on my side, it just seems to want to scoot together. For me, the fix was just grabbing it and putting it back into position once I was settled in.

As for the Crowsnest, I can't really say how it compares. I have an Incubator and, even with me setting it up totally wrong on the hammock, I stayed plenty warm down to freezing temps. Since having it reworked to have channel suspension versus the JRB style suspension, I haven't used it. But, I'm going to bet that it's going to function even better. Save yourself some head scratching and get the suspension with channels.

Going camping tomorrow night. Expected temps are in the 20's with a possibility of rain. Going to be using my Incubator, JRB weather shield, no sniveller top quilt and my jrb quilt liner for insulation on my blackbird. I'll let you know how it goes.

• + New Posts