Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Images

Back to the drawing board

OK, I have to go back to Risk's site and see how he did it with his top loader. I tried the 2x4s with my Speer hammock today, and I got no where fast. The problem is with trying to allow enough slack in the rope tp provide the requisite sag. With the HH, as soon as you tighten the ridgeline, there is enough downward tension on the poles to hold them upright until you get in the hammock. Once you weight the hammock, there is enough downward force to hold them even more stable.

But with the top loader and no ridgeline, I couldn't get the poles to stay up long enough to adjust the sag in the hammock. I probably could have with a small post hole, some guy lines, somebody to help me, or even using just one 2x4. Or, maybe just playing around with it some more I can figure out how to get things adjusted. I really think that if I could keep the poles up long enough to get in, it would work just as well as the HH did. Or, if my 2x4s were shorter and I added a ridgeline like the HH so I could pull it tight, it would work fine. If I pull the webbing tight now, the bottom of the Speer hammock is about head level. If the 2x4s were shorter and I pulle the webbing tight, the height would be ok, but I'm sure the shoulder squeeze would bw awful and the hammock tip over level would be at "dump you out" stage.

Anyway, for now, it'a a total no go! Probably the simplest cure would be some guylines to hold the 2x4s up just enough to allow me to get in and weight the hammock.

Bill

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    I've seen some sturdy tripods and scaffolds made with lashed bamboo. I've never tried it, but it looks very feng shui.

Those bamboo forests in samurai movies just seem like hammock land.
    I tried some lashed bamboo tripods for my hammock and they worked fine. Just be sure to cut the bamboo close to the nodes to prevent splitting.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    I made a stand last night and it works great. I decided to use Oak 2x2's and replicate the stand sold at REI. The only issue is that the cost of building it with the Oak is just as much as buying a commercial model. I think I will buy the next one. However, if I can find some bamboo, I will make one with it. I have not had any success finding any bamboo though. Just in the woods, but I would have to dry it for months.

One advantage of the commercial model is that it is collapsible. I will post photos in my gallery tonight.
    Last edited by hacktorious; 06-22-2007 at 09:13. Reason: typo correction
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I made a stand last night and it works great.
    This post is worthless without pics.

Hopefully my HH will be in today and i can get some pictures of the stand i built. I think I'm to fat for 2x2's (even hardwood) but i'd imagine for someone lighter they would work swimmingly.

Question-
    Did you have to add anything to keep the legs from spreading too far?
    Or do they "dig in" and maintain a constant angle without the - in the middle of the A?
    Last edited by HandsomeRyan; 06-22-2007 at 09:23.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    OK, check out my gallery. I posted some photos.

I didn't need to do anything to stop the legs from spreading. It works great. The commercial version can hold a person up to 250lbs.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

do you have any smaller or darker pictures you could post? lol.

just messin' with you- it looks like it worked swimmingly! thanks for keeping us updated.

I just recieved word that my hammock has arrived at my house but i doubt i'll have time to play with my new toy tonight as this is the last night i'll get to see my foster brother and sister becasue they are being given to their biological grandmother tomorrow. (very sad situation)
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Anybody taking bets as to if HR manages to find time to play with his new toy tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Anybody taking bets as to if HR manages to find time to play with his new toy tonight?
    how hard is it to learn to set up a hammock in the dark?

/if not tonight- at first light tomorrow!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You'll be out there with a lantern if need be.

I don't know about others, but I'm barely able to take my tie off before I'm trying to set-up a new hammock. To top it off, I sit here at work tracking any incoming packages. I went home one day to pick-up a hammock that I knew had been delivered, brought it back to the office and set it up right by the drive-up teller window. I heard some interesting comments that day, but my CEO climbed right in. I knew I had it made at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You'll be out there with a lantern if need be.

I don't know about others, but I'm barely able to take my tie off before I'm trying to set-up a new hammock. To top it off, I sit here at work tracking any incoming packages. I went home one day to pick-up a hammock that I knew had been delivered, brought it back to the office and set it up right by the drive-up teller window. I heard some interesting comments that day, but my CEO climbed right in. I knew I had it made at that point.
    lol, I work at a gas station. I'm tempted to hang my hammock out back between the diesel gas tanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast