Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just 5 more hours till my wife, son and I hit the road north. Spending the night in Ft. Smith, sleeping late and rolling in to camp Saturday. Wish I were there now.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Just 5 more hours till my wife, son and I hit the road north. Spending the night in Ft. Smith, sleeping late and rolling in to camp Saturday. Wish I were there now.
    I believe comments like these are considered treason and you can be put to death.

Read on:

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of freedom. We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes. John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas.

When you're from Texas, people that you meet ask you questions like, Do you have any cows?" "Do you have horses?" "Bet you got a bunch of guns, eh?"

They all want to know if you've been to Southfork. They watched Dallas.

Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast, and the Red River and the Rio Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will be.. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You might get it maybe after a second or two, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you?

In every man, woman and child on this planet, there is a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride off in a pickup. There is some little bit of Texas in everyone.

Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, "Wow, so you're from Iowa? Cool, tell me about it?" Do you know why? Because there's no place like Texas.

Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Anna at San Jacinto.

Texas is "Juneteenth" and Texas Independence Day.

Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest.

Texas is breathtaking mountains in the Big Bend.

Texas is the unparalleled beauty of bluebonnet fields in the Texas Hill Country.

Texas is the beautiful, warm beaches of the Gulf Coast of South Texas.

Texas is the shiny skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas.

Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork.

Texas is Mexican food like nowhere else, not even Mexico.

Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Bass Hall, the Ballpark in Arlington and the Astrodome.

Texas is larger-than-life legends like Michael DeBakey, Denton Cooley, Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Landry, Darrell Royal, ZZ Top, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan, Sam Rayburn, George Bush, Lyndon B. Johnson, and George W. Bush.

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq. And LOCKHEED MARTIN AEROSPACE,! Home of the F-16 Jet Fighter and the JSF Fighter.

Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops.

Texas is skies blackened with doves, and fields full of deer.

Texas is a place where towns and cities shut down to watch the local High School Football game on Friday nights and for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football, and for the Night In Old San Antonio River Parade in San Antonio.

Texas is ocean beaches, deserts, lake s and rivers, mountains and prairies, and modern cities.

If it isn't in Texas, you probably don't need it.

No one does anything bigger or better than it's done in Texas.

i am proud to say, I am glad I am here - and never wish to be anywhere else (except during the months of June, July and August (and sometimes May and September).

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    ... as opposed to sitting in the car for 10 1/2 hours before I got there.

BTW I noticed Counselor on the list of folks definately going several times on this thread - I look forward to seeing you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    I believe comments like these are considered treason and you can be put to death...

...i am proud to say, I am glad I am here - and never wish to be anywhere else (except during the months of June, July and August (and sometimes May and September).
    Somebody must have too much spare time.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    The Ozark Hang was awesome,,, 13 hangers came in. There was backpacking, hiking, canoeing, eating and just hanging around. Thanks to Burning Cedar for making the hammock Forums sign. Picture's and video's to come...

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Sounds like yall had a great time, I wish that I could have made it. Burning Cedar is a great guy to have around. Can't wait for the pics
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

zoo bee

I met zoo bee when I was on the way off the trail leaving the Buffalo River Trail. He and his son were just getting on the trail and making there way towards the hang. I completely forgot y'all were doing that.
    I will be posting a video as soon as I can get all the editing complete. I have not mastered that yet.
    BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Smoke House sure put together a great event. It was nice to meet so many forum members and check out all their gear. Lots of paddling, hiking and story telling to be had. Oldgringo cooked up a Dutch Oven full of beans over the campfire that in itself would have made the whole trip worthwhile. Sure glad I was able to make it and we're all talking about doing it again. Will get some pics posted tomorrow hopefully. Thanks Smoke House!

stumo - name change forthcoming

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Great weekend!

I really enjoy meeting forum members and connecting all the dots.

The site was top notch, and the campground host, Jeff, made life good for all of us.

Thank you, Smokehouse, for putting this together, and thanks to your enabler, as well.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    What a wonderful time!!! My thanks to SmokeHouse and his bride for hosting this event. Also to the forum members and their families/friendsfor sharing great ideas, camaraderie, food, and fun as we hiked and paddled the Buffalo River!

And let's not forget campground host Jeff -- we'll have him hanging before AOH version 2 (that would be the second annual Arkansas Ozark Hang for the kids without the cool decoder ring)
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I got home last night about 6:30 after the drive. I had a great time at the hang. Nice to meet some of the people from HF in the area south of me. Great site to hang in and explore. Weather forecast was wrong, temps from 40 to 46 and some rain and drizzle but not so bad as to cause major problems.
    The firewood supply never ran out so we had a great fire. We are undecided who is the smoke magnet for the group. But that was fixed with the washing machine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast