Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

New product, opinions wanted

We have sampled an interwoven daisy chain webbing you can buy it by the foot. It isn't sewn like the atlas straps and is very strong. You would be able to buy it foot so you can get 20 foot of this product and make 2 10 foot daisy chain straps with out sewing. In order to do it we have to make a lot of it so it is quite and investment. It would be great to get some feedback before I sink a lot of money in this. It won't be light at 13 grams per foot but they are super easy and we tried doing a breakage test but our pull tester only goes to a ton and we couldn't harm it at that pressure. So let me know if you think this product would work for some.

Last edited by Dutch; 12-28-2016 at 13:50.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think it would be pretty popular indeed. Sometimes hammock campers have a need for easy, bombproof solutions, and not just ultralight ones, which, in this case, already abound. Your by-the-foot concept is another example of Dutch genius at work! I think highlighting the strength of its construction is very important. If the price point can be kept to a win-win level, I think you will have a runaway hit on your hands. Thanks for considering this...

PS: OOC, how many loops are there per foot? Three to four? That many would put it right in the ball park for good adjustability (3" to 4" increments), and the interwoven construction will blow traditional stitched daisy chains away...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 12-28-2016 at 14:03.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good idea Dutch. Personally it's not for me, but after looking around online they seem to be a hot item. Just one similar item on Amazon has over 1600 reviews (mostly positive). If you can cut the weight and keep the price close, under $20, I think you could get a chunk of those sales.

I typically tend to associate these with first-timers, those not really aware of whoopies or buckle/strap suspensions that offer greater adjustability. But I could be wrong. So it seems like we (HF members) wouldn't be the best clientele. Again, I'm just guessing and could be totally wrong.

But it is a quick and easy, foolproof setup. Hey, maybe I will take a set

Hammock
    DIY' 1.6W Hexon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 12'
    Insulation
    DIY CS 10 TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    It varies
    Would there be enough room to slip adutchables over them? If a guy used 15', a biner and adutchable would be a adjustable set up. Maybe a clip instead?

Sent from a phone somewhere

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The loops are 3 inches on center so and each loop is about 2 3/4 inches. We think the cost will be about $.60 per foot.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The loops are 3 inches on center so and each loop is about 2 3/4 inches. We think the cost will be about $.60 per foot.
    Perfect on both counts. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Two 15-foot sections and a pair of your carabiners would weigh in at just about a pound and cost under $30 total for a long-reach, foolproof, and bombproof setup with no sewing necessary. That's a nice option for many folks out there.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 12-28-2016 at 14:18.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

These would work great for my indoor hanging set up in the basement. These could be left on the anchor points and different hammocks switched in and out depending on mood. Agree these would not be popular for backpacking but they would be great for house or yard use.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyst Död View Post
    Would there be enough room to slip adutchables over them? If a guy used 15', a biner and adutchable would be a adjustable set up. Maybe a clip instead?

Sent from a phone somewhere
    IMO if you know how to use an adutchable clip, you don't need this. The adutchable make a hugger or a strap adjustable. The webbing is too thick to go through the slot of the adutchable.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex / SLD WH
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 +2
    Suspension
    Beetle/cinch
    My hammock came with something similar and I didn't like it at all. My biggest issue with it was that I couldn't make fine adjustments. It seems like the product shown in the photo has the links spaced a little closer than mine were, so maybe it would be more useful. However, with other easily obtainable, affordable options (whoopies, buckles, etc.) that are infinitely adjustable and light, I can't see why I'd choose this.

I bet there are applications other than the main suspension that it could be useful for, equipment slings and such but I don't know if that would make it worth the investment.
    Rick
    I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?
    -Terry Tempest Williams

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    well, people on here buy and use either atlas straps, or some other brand with a similar design....I gifted a hammock to my 6 year old nephew and constructed a daisy chain of amsteel using a series of lock brumel thingies (I think that is what you call em)....and that works great, but this would be much easier and lighter.

I would have just gotten atlas straps for the kiddo and his dad (not hammock nerds) but 30 bucks for that, nope?

I suppose price is the question on such an item in my mind....but I suspect if the price is right, I would have outfitted the gift hammocks with these instead of what I did....

I do not have any immediate plans on purchasing such new dutch gear, but can imagine in the coming year trying it out for someone.

To me in general, the question for a simple suspension is however cinch buckle vs. this daisy chain when I make a hammock for a friend or family member....not ENTIRELY sure I would go for this vs. your cinch buckles....

Looks promising though!
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast