Gathered end 11 ft tafetta
    Tarp
    Hex cat cut 11 ft
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    whoopie

Looking for plan for tarp with doors.

I want to make a tarp for Hammock camping and thought of making the simple tarp in Fronkey's Video. Then I started thinking that doors on one or both ends would be nice, but I'm not sure how to include doors into his tarp design.

Anyone have a link to plans for a tarp that includes doors?

Thanks

Granville

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    check this plan out from ripstopbytheroll.com
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...29523060114529

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I have used that plan with sil-poly and it worked well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    My first tarp is a xenon diy, I used the RBTR plan posted above. Since then, MYG has posted their plan here. I haven't used this plan yet but I imagine that folding the fabric as they suggest before marking/cutting would make those tasks sooo much easier.

Lastly, while sissors work fine, I'd suggest investing in a rotary cutter, self healing mat and a metal straight edge. Oh, and lots of wonder clips.

EDIT: Since this stuff is so thin and slippery it's very easy for the fabric to "walk" on you, run even. Don't ask how I know. Since that experience I've found that a walking foot to be of great help. That and don't be afraid to pin the fabric here and there. That's what they make sealer for.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 12-29-2016 at 09:28.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I have made this one with a few modifications to the design.
    http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg
    Material from RSBTR
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lPoly-DIY-Tarp
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Handmade Diy
    Tarp
    Winter tarp diy
    Insulation
    CostcoUQ/TQ clewed
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    I made 2. Both with the RSBTR pattern. One with sil-poly,which turn out a little on the heavy side and works great. We got caught in a rain storm one day on the trail and I pulled it out and was able to make a quick shelter for the whole group to get under. In other words BIG...
    I also made one out of 1.1 ripstop nylon. Much lighter, and I treat it with a wash in waterproofer. Haven't used it in the rain but it keeps the dew of if anything else.

The RSBR plan is great, I made one from MEMBRANE silpoly that is about the same weight as my 1.1 silpoly hex. A word of warning, as bigryn0 mentions, it's a big tarp due to the 12' ridge line. The upside of this is coverage while the downside is that it is hard to pitch low and tight with a 10-11' hammock due to interference with the suspension. If I made it again, I would take 1' out of the ridge line for an 11' tarp.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am currently more than half through my tarp with doors project, using instructions from makeyourowngear.com....the winter tarp kit...ill let you know how it turns out as I plan on finishing it in the next 2-3 days.

I could not find a straight edge laying around long enough, and found using a chalk line (for masonry work and such) wonderful to mark my longer cut...but a long straight edge works too. I did not go with cat cuts.

The MYG website instructions about the halving the fabric twice over than making the cut to create your basic two panels in their proper shape was scary for a first timer......but it worked great....just line up everything square, I use some pins with each fold to secure that slippery stuff (used xenon sil 0.9) , then halfed again and more pins to get perfectly square, then more pins...then mark the cut, then made it with a rotary knife.

Also, as it relates if you are interested, I was testing this "Dritz Wonder Tape" out last night...warbonnett guy on this forum in the past has mentioned using this product for tarp builds when I was googling, and I can tell you that while it does stick well to silnylon, it does not stick well much at all to xenon sil...stuck pretty well to argon (well enough I would say, not that argon would be used for a tarp but anyway...)....have not tried it on other materials at this point...I wanted to use it for the ridgeline...

Anyway, good luck!
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    RSBTR DIY Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE
    PharmGeek I used RSBTR's instructions when I put together there Winter 12 STD HEX tarp and for my first tarp it went very smoothly. I sewed my ridge line they way it was instructed. I went slow and made sure my material was tight and edges matched, and it turned out great for my first go and is quite straight.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by willys05tj View Post
    PharmGeek I used RSBTR's instructions when I put together there Winter 12 STD HEX tarp and for my first tarp it went very smoothly. I sewed my ridge line they way it was instructed. I went slow and made sure my material was tight and edges matched, and it turned out great for my first go and is quite straight.

THanks...I am not terribly worried about it...I may get to sewing the ridgeline tongith...but maybe not till Friday....but plan on taking my time and getting it right. My stiching for the roll hem was straight as an arrow and Ill take my time and get the ridgeline right! I probably will pin it together then sew it for added reassurance...thanks.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast