Tarp
    DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Caminante -

Was it a winter tarp with doors? Did you add panel pulls to it? I want to make a winter tarp with doors. I feel like the panel pulls might be important. I am trying to suss out how to add panel pulls without making holes in the panels, overcoming the stitches pulling in the membrane silpoly. I have made a hex tarp with membrane silpoly and the reinforcement patches are siliconed/glued on instead of sewn. It has worked wonderfully!

Would you kindly expand on the 12' tarp interfering with the suspension? Would wider spaced trees do the trick?
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

Yes, winter tarp with doors. Basically, the RSBR Winter 12 design. Two things that I did not do that I might should have: 1) cat cuts, at least on the long sides, and 2) side pulls. 1) is more important than 2) IMO. I have not done any panel pulls as yet, so I'll defer to others who have on the best technique. I can live without the panel pulls, but I definitely should have added cat cuts to put some more tension on the side panels. That in and of itself would eliminate some of the want for panel pulls.

Ceteris paribus, the distance between the trees doesn't really matter, which is to say in this example we use the exact same hang angle regardless of tree distance and center the tarp. Imagine a tarp that could be pitched as low as physically possible to your hammock with the ends of the tarp kissing the ends of your hammock. The tarp would have to be exactly the length of your deployed hammock, the length of your SRL if you use one (let's say 9'). Any longer, and it would hit the suspension of the hammock as it angles upwards from the hammock towards the trees. Now let's say we want one foot of overhang on each end (11' tarp), you can imagine that the tarp will run into the hammock suspension so you would need to raise the tarp higher to a point where the suspension is at least 11' apart. That would be 7" above the hammock in our theoretical example. For a 12' tarp it would be at least 10.5" above the hammock. Doesn't sound like much, but it is fairly difficult to get the sides of a 12' tarp close to the ground when pitched 10.5"+ above a hammock hanging 18" off the ground which means you have less wind protection.

If we relax our all things equal criteria, then of course you can flatten your hang angle a bit and then lower your tarp somewhat. If you go to a 20 degree hang angle, you could put a 12' tarp 6-7" above the hammock, but of course you are putting a lot more stress on the trees/straps/SRL.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I finished my xenon sil 0.9 winter tarp (went by MYG kit instructions)....no cat cuts were done, did do pullouts.

The pullouts are not much added work really...I did all the reinforcements for the guyline pullout points and such, and that look a good bit of time, the 4 pullouts were actually I felt far easer than the other forms of reinforcements...I pinned them on proper and square, and they sewed on fairly easy...lots of materials laying about so you have to be careful before you press the pedal.

I have been for the past year using exclusively the superfly...not sure if it has cat cuts, do not think it does...

It seems there is much talk about preventing "flapping" of your tarp in the wind....my camping experience is still realtively limited...ive camped a few times in 20+mph winds and a couple times in some heavy rain and while the tarp makes noise, moves around, it stayed in place and kept me dry and happy...so is this a functional or aesthetic (or even audible) thing to strive for.

I had never thought about cat cuts negating the "benefit" of pull outs...but I rarely would use my pull outs on my superfly, even in those windy/rainy situations and I seemed to be ok...for me, I always perceived the pullouts as an amenity to provide a feeling of or really added volume to your interior...

I pitched up my new tarp for the first time as soon as I finished it, and it was quite windy outside, probably 15mph winds...and it made all sorts of little waves in the fabric in the wind, but it appears tight...and I sat around inside of it for a while in the wind...seemed ok to me.

I never gave much thought to the 12 foot ridgeline when I was deciding...11 feet covered up my hammock well for so long, AND I have doors...not sure why I would have opted for 12 feet...had never considered the problem of the 12 footer hitting the suspension for a low pitch, great point.

The only solution to my quandary is to make another tarp and this time with cat cuts for comparison lol
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

It's not a question of the cat cuts negating the benefit of pull outs, I'm sure they work quite harmoniously together. The issue with having neither is that the side panels aren't as taut as they could be, and when you pitch with a narrow angle (to get the edges close to the ground and the doors overlapping in bad weather, for instance) the side panels can bellow towards you with wind. A cat cut would put a little more tension on the panel holding it more taut which would help to a degree, and of course panel pulls will hold the panels out and away.

Panel pulls seem more effective for that scenario, but in retrospect I'd probably go for both since I'd want the benefit of the cat cuts even if I wasn't using the panel pulls.

I made a 12' because it sounded cool and I had a plan. If I do it again, I'll go for 11'.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I finished my xenon sil 0.9 winter tarp (went by MYG kit instructions)....no cat cuts were done, did do pullouts.

The pullouts are not much added work really...I did all the reinforcements for the guyline pullout points and such, and that look a good bit of time, the 4 pullouts were actually I felt far easer than the other forms of reinforcements...I pinned them on proper and square, and they sewed on fairly easy...lots of materials laying about so you have to be careful before you press the pedal.

I have been for the past year using exclusively the superfly...not sure if it has cat cuts, do not think it does...

It seems there is much talk about preventing "flapping" of your tarp in the wind....my camping experience is still realtively limited...ive camped a few times in 20+mph winds and a couple times in some heavy rain and while the tarp makes noise, moves around, it stayed in place and kept me dry and happy...so is this a functional or aesthetic (or even audible) thing to strive for.

I had never thought about cat cuts negating the "benefit" of pull outs...but I rarely would use my pull outs on my superfly, even in those windy/rainy situations and I seemed to be ok...for me, I always perceived the pullouts as an amenity to provide a feeling of or really added volume to your interior...

I pitched up my new tarp for the first time as soon as I finished it, and it was quite windy outside, probably 15mph winds...and it made all sorts of little waves in the fabric in the wind, but it appears tight...and I sat around inside of it for a while in the wind...seemed ok to me.

I never gave much thought to the 12 foot ridgeline when I was deciding...11 feet covered up my hammock well for so long, AND I have doors...not sure why I would have opted for 12 feet...had never considered the problem of the 12 footer hitting the suspension for a low pitch, great point.

The only solution to my quandary is to make another tarp and this time with cat cuts for comparison lol
    Pics please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Justapner View Post
    Pics please!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I love my Winter made with plans from RSBTR. Sil Nylon, packs into a Nalgene size sack. I have a Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the two fit each other perfectly.
    Doors Closed.jpgDoors Open.jpgTarp Pole Mod 1 small 2.jpg

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have pole mod components in the mail - psyched to try those out - good looking tarp!

Images
    I based my membrane silpoly winter tarp on the RipstopByTheRoll plans, but by reducing the ridgeline to 11'4" and using asymmetric doors, I was able to make it out of 8 yards of material instead of 10 (and zero waste).
    Details here,
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mbrane-SilPoly

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12