DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Future Shug T-shirt Message/Design:

Be Like Shug:
    Live life like you are high on vicodin:
    Whooo Buddy *said in a quiet sleepy tone of voice while staring into the nothing*

Thanks Shug, this has been a great group therapy session at all...I am not alone.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL 10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I also am guilty of not being able to put a project down. "I just need to finish the stuff sack for it as well." Suddenly one finds themselves working on a new quilt.

Will start to set time limits, that seems to be a sensible thing.

Another problem is the ordering of new parts for said projects. I don't think anyone needs as many cord-locks and other bits and bobs as I have accumulated over the past 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm here to say it is possible to resist the compulsion. I'm definitely guilty, depending on the size and complexity of the DIY project. But, when I attempted (successfully in the end) my first DIY UQ of my own modified KARO design, I literally took several months start-to-finish. It helped a lot that it wasn't winter and I didn't need it right away.

By the end, all my "sleep on it" nights helped me to overcome problems and to think of solutions and better ways to do things, plus to research and read (on here) about UQs.

I made paper models (believe it or not) and used old sheets to sew initial test runs of how to get a two-dimensional object (a piece of cloth) to confirm to a FIVE dimensional (conservative estimate!) shape of the bottom of a hammock with a human (wife or daughter, bless their hearts) as my guinea pig(s), with me marking, pining, clipping, and cutting away. LOL

The slow-go method saved my project for me. And my sanity!

Heck, I even did it a second time! One 20-degree UQ and one 0-degree UQ.

If there had been a local chapter of UQA (Under-Quilters Anonymous) nearby, I might have joined.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    UQA, hahahaha, a zero degree UQ build is an ambition of mine...after this tarp I am 3/4 or so through making now, I will do a 15-20 degree "rated" TQ...gawd, the mulling I have done on that is pretty significant...I think once I finish the winter tarp, I will spend a week finalizing my specs and begin that.

The quilt building will take me longer and I will have to DEFINATELY learn to better "sleep on it"....I am theorizing that I will have a slightly better time of incrementalism with the quilt, as there is just no way I can binge on it and finish it in a night or two....(some devil figure just showed up on my shoulder and asked "well, is there a way, you can do it!")

I am not in a rush...I have actually all the gear I require for my immediate camping needs...so the "rush" is not necessary, and yet......the tendency to want to binge is there.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Your affliction is felt by me as well. Though I have gotten better at slowing down and embracing the "doo du doo du doo" style of getting things done. Don't have to finish today. Try to enjoy doing the project.
    My 2017 Resolution is to live life like I am on vicodin. When I had knee surgery a couple of years ago the vicodin/norco made me sit and just be. My sisters in law said they liked me better. I let stuff go. Trying that in life now with just the mental challenge of slowing down and enjoying and breathing.
    Not easy.
    Sitting is good.
    Shug
    Yep, I am like that. I started on my first UQ and did almost all of it in one sitting. New to sewing, and using my wife's sewing machine......I am not sure which of us may have needed a sedative more. Me for the frustration and determination to get it done....or my wife, afraid I was going to break her machine. Anyway, I do construction now but I spent over a decade as a mental health counselor.....I could offer my counseling services to anyone in need.....just meet me in the woods!......Wait, that sounded a little "Creepy" didn't it? Oh well, welcome to the addiction.....And keep the Vicodin coming! Ha!

That whole comment was gold!

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Oh man... glad it's not just me.

I would have posted pics of my first DIY hammock by now, except that the seams are rather wayward due to struggles with my machine and first attempts at rolled hems and I was cross-eyed by the time I finished at 2 a.m... But I HAD to get it done to bring on a 4-day trip. Even though I had a perfectly serviceable hammock waiting on its shelf.

Have had another batch of fabric in a cart at RSBTR several times now, intending to re-do the hammock in a (hopefully) more professional way, but can't bring myself to "waste" this one...plus it is really quite comfy despite not looking perfect. (And I don't really need 5 or 6 stuff sacks...)

I really should plan the next project more carefully, and practice sewing more before plunging in, but once I get the materials in hand the fire to DO IT burns hot.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Y'all would be proud

10 hours about total I spent building my first Tarp and did it in 2 hour ish increments.

No hangover or other side effects...although have a simultaneous desire to take a week off AND start next project....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I feel ya! I have 2 uq's under construction I don't want to get in a hurry and mess something up. Yesterday I knocked out a snake skin in about 20 minutes and forgot I was sewing inside out. Oh well it just isn't pretty. I work on the quilts after thinking about what I want top do and have a plan.

Hammock
    To be decided
    Tarp
    DD Hamocks
    Right thats my first Tarp project finished,or should i say stitching practice,learnt alot of wot not to do, i do think the stitching is improving but like you lot say Time is a big factor i need to slow down and get a Man shed

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12