Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

hangNyak birthday hang Dec. 30th-Jan 1st 2016

Another great hang with some good people. Met Big-Country in Clearwater and made the drive over to Green Swamp West. We did a dark hike in, carrying a cooler full of goodies. Arrived in camp to meet the early arrivals. Invited my good friend Ryan(redfisher) to join us this weekend. He apparently enjoys his hammock a lot, as he layed down for a nap Saturday, a sixteen hour nap! I had to check on him at 6:30 this morning to make sure he was still alive. Saturday, we did some good breakfasts of eggs, bacon, english muffins and sausage gravy. Yeah, we went all out on the cooking this weekend. I even grilled up a fantastic New York strip and baked potato, Saturday night. For those that wanted to know, my wife said she picked up that steak at Publix. We had some great hanging weather, as Friday dipped to around 34* and Saturday night was a little warmer at 53*. We packed up this morning and left Lifescout and wife to enjoy one more night to themselves. Thanks to olddog,Big-Country,Grinder,redfisher,Gone Native and Matthew,Lifescout and c+1, for celebrating my birthday and ringing in 2017. See you guys at the next one!
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    My Son-in-law dropped me off around 10:30 Friday morning for a refreshingly cool hike in. Went in solo expecting to maybe see some wildlife but nothing was up and about. Arrived at the campsite dropped the pack and scoped out the area. Was looking for a different location to hang since this weekend was feeling like one of those lazy laid back hangs. The site I've hung at in the past is sunny during those midday nap hours so I was looking for other options. While milling around I also began dragging in firewood in preparation for an expected cool evening. Finally settled on a location and got the hammock and tarp hung then returned to the camp as craigc was arriving. I believe redfisher was the next to arrive followed by Grinder who went on a walkabout exploring some of the Green Swamp we hadn't made it to yet. Big Country and hangNyak made it in after dark which completed our Friday evening group. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Friday night was a first test of my Kohl's down throw boosters for my Wilderness Logic summer series TQ & UQ. Very satisfied with how comfortable I was down to near freezing. Yeah, we do get that cold every once in awhile. Saturday saw C+1 and Lifescout roll in followed later by Gone Native and Matthew. After hearty dinners were finished we gathered around the campfire for cordials, distant fireworks and the usual banter among some of the best people I have had the pleasure to spend time with. Wish others could have made it but we will see y'all soon. Happy Birthday Ron and Happy New Year to all.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Forgot to mention craigc was there also. He's so quiet, he's like a ninja!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Started the new year right with a few nights in the woods with my friends.

As Olddog said, it also started with a "walk about"

Over the last ten years, I have camped at almost every site in the Green Swamp. Therefore, I think I know my way!! All hikers know what follows a statement like that!! Soon, the two track I was following had signs marking the trail and a campsite ahead. no problem, right??
    When I got to the campsite (3 miles) no one I knew was there!! Thank God for cell phones I called Olddog and found I was at the wrong campsite. So, back I went.

Now, let me tell you, there is walking, and there is loaded back packing!! Doing the first regularly does not train you much for the latter. By the time I backtracked to the parking and walked the correct mile to the new campsite I was TIRED!!

Maybe the lesson will take for the next few trips. I will say that I slept well for my nap and left for bed at a bit before 10pm. The hell with new years eve!!

Turns out, no one made midnight. I woke a bit before then to find a quiet campsite, with just the glowing embers to talk to.

The next day was pleasant, sitting around eating and listening to the talk about personal weapons. Ron's fishing buddy, redfisher, was a died in the wool gun nut, with a stack of AR's at home in every caliber possible. Lifescout and wife came in early in the morning. Never a dull moment.

My dinner of Potatoes and gravel was bland as heck!! I just checked and found that I left the seasoning packet at home. No wonder?? (Attention to detail is showing up as a constant oversight!!)

I slept good again (why are the woods so good for that??) woke up, ate breakfast and returned home to watch the last Buccaneer football for the year.

Can't think of a better way to start the new year. (perhaps excepting the Bucs level of performance, even though they scratched out a win)
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Stealth camping HF style.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Grinders setup.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema

Olddog's rig.
    Ron's setup.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    evening sunset

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the reports and pictures! Looking forward togetting into the woods in later this month!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sounds like the recovery is progressing. looking forward to getting together.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast