Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - that's mostly wrong...you DON'T WANT the moisture to escape. It needs to stay inside your VB so your body will stop producing moisture. With a real VB the moisture will only escape at the openings. With a pseudo-VB like wpb raingear, you'll get a little bit escaping thru the fabric...but your insulation will still be warm so whatever moisture gets into the insulation will move thru just as easily as it would have otherwise. In theory, you may find more localized moisture...at the zipper, for example. I don't know if there would actually be enough of that to notice it unless you're actually sweating, though.

Remember that the threshold for "breathable" clothing is ridiculously low...passing something like 2% qualifies as breathable.

When I use a VB, I wear silkweight thermals, my raingear, then my insulation. One time I wore my fleece inside my rain jacket and my fleece was damp in the morning. Next night, almost same conditions, I put the fleece on the outside and could easily tell a difference in moisture and in warmth.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah Gear
    Insulation
    Warbonnet 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Whoohoo!

Looks like it's time for some backyard testing tonight!
    That's exactly how I got my nickname! My wife laughingly called me a yard dog the first time that I slept in the yard with my first hammock.

I actually did some back yard testing of my own this past Tuesday night. It only got down to 28... not the low 20s as was forecast.

I must admit, it's supposed to get down to around 17 here tonight and the thought did cross my mind...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I fully agree w/ what Jeff said, but as a side note, if you're standing around camp, inactive, the somewhat breathable but highly wind resistant outer layer is a very good thing, especially if there is any breeze.
    But as soon as you feel the slightest bit overly warm, start to open up that outer layer to vent.

Of course that's a wind shell approach rather than a vapor barrier. Just making mention of the difference between the two.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, that makes sense to me. Using the warm humid air to keep warm and trick the body. I've only used raingear a few times and it was more out of concern of the wind when I didn't have great tarp coverage. I'm way too warm of a sleeper to even consider messing around with VBs, but I like having at least a basic understanding in case things get ugly. Thanks!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - don't want the wind stealing your heat. I use the VB when I'm under my quilt.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    BTW, I've come to use Tyvek booties as my nature-call shoes. They stay with me in the hammock and can be slipped over my sleep socks in a wink - they keep the socks dry on the way to the tree unless it's really raining. I have a box of 'em and will bring some to Mt. Rogers if I make it down there.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I've slept in my wind shirt and pants a few times. I had on a midweight top and pants, then windshirt and windpants, then fleece jacket and pants over them. Worked out pretty well!

Then, in the same weather, I also tried sleeping with the midweight layer, then the fleece, then my frogg toggs rain gear, but froze my butt off! (though, I still have some of it left )

I like that idea of the Tyvek booties, vitamaltz!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have some Tyvek booties that fit over my down booties. I've never used them because until I modified the down booties yesterday they weren't fitting well enough to bother with. Of course, VB theory would say to wear the tyvek INSIDE the down booties, right? For late night tree waterings I'm not going to bother with theory though.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Yeah, but I think good old plastic bags are the best foot VBs. The idea of the booties is just to keep my socks dry, clean, and leaf-free. I don't think they add much to the warmth, but they're a quick camp shoe - a lot easier than taking socks off or putting boots on.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's why I always wore my Frogg Toggs on the outside of everything. In my mind, it allowed for a little looseness in the material which I figured would allow any moisture to vent a bit anyway. My concern with putting it between layers is that any moisture trapped by it's VBish properties would have a more difficult time finding escape.

Am I wrong in my thinking? I am mostly a VB moron.
    Funny image!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Yeah - that's mostly wrong...you DON'T WANT the moisture to escape. It needs to stay inside your VB so your body will stop producing moisture..
    Yep, a very thin but wet and yet warm layer- or bare skin for some- then the VB. This layer never feels particularly pleasant for me, but I have no doubt it significantly increases warmth. Back in the day, I still remember my buddy had freezing feet. He borrowed my VB socks, placed between a thin polypro sock layer and the thicker wool socks. Withinn a short time, his feet were plenty warm.

The theoretical benefits are to 1: stop evaporative cooling 2: to stop production of insensible perspiration and the dehydration this can add to and 3: to keep any body moisture out of your insulation, where it may condense no matter how breathable the shell. And where it will at least add humidity under the best of circumstances.

However, you will have wet skin, which can feel down right weird. Even a little scary at first, sense instinct is to avoid being wet. But unless you over heat and sweat, it only gets so wet, then moisture production should stop. Of course, if you over heat and sweat, I guess you could trap a lot of water in there! And it never feels good taking a VB off in the cold.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast