Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Colin Fletcher

since most of our hammockforum members are backpackers, thought i would pass this along...

Colin Fletcher, considered by many to be the father of
    modern
    backpacking, died of natural causes on June 12 in
    Monterey, California.

Obit:
    http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,11007,00.html

not long after i really got into backpacking, back in the mid 80s, i read "the complete walker" & learned a lot.
    i was fascinated by his extensive "check list". but it took me quite a while to learn that i didn't really need all that stuff... especially not all at the same time
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    not long after i really got into backpacking, back in the mid 80s, i read "the complete walker" & learned a lot.
    i was fascinated by his extensive "check list". but it took me quite a while to learn that i didn't really need all that stuff... especially not all at the same time
    Yep, me too! Cut my backpacking teeth on The Complete Walker around 1988. ( Edit: oops, change that to 1983!)
    Last Sept., as my 34 year old step son prepared to join me on his first backpacking adventure, a week in Wyoming, he got the newest revised edition of the book and read it cover to cover. I believe it was all of Colin's original words with the addition of new info and updates on lighter equip ad techniques, revised by a younger friend who knew him well.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-18-2007 at 15:27.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been meaning to get a copy of that book.

RIP Colin. You will be missed.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    since most of our hammockforum members are backpackers, thought i would pass this along...

Colin Fletcher, considered by many to be the father of
    modern
    backpacking, died of natural causes on June 12 in
    Monterey, California.

Obit:
    http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,11007,00.html

I've read and re-read his Complete Walker and New Complete Walker over the years. I also read the 1000 Mile Summer and the Man Who Walked Through Time way back when. I felt as if I almost knew the man. He was the inspiration for me to start to backback many, many years ago and I'd heard him fondly described as the Great Grandpacker. It's sad to hear that he is gone from us.

Hammock
    Traveler Mosquito
    Tarp
    Neo Tarp
    Back in the early 70's when I was in the Boy Scouts I read that book cover to cover. Back then it was about the only book on hiking. I recently looked at on while in Books a Million. He was not a ultralight hiker.

RIP

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't think Ultralight hiking existed back in his day. I read The Complete Walker in the early 90s; it was one of the first books I dug out when contemplating my 08 thru hike. I hope he enjoys the hiking in Heaven.

here is a good site to pickup some of his books cheap

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/...her%2C%20Colin

Images
    that book and all that it held ..was a very big thing for me back in the day...i also read his articles in backpacker mag...i have all of his books and i recently loaned rockstar a copy of the revised complete walker...my first copy is so stained and tattered from being re read untill it was almost going to fall apart..it road in the top of my pack..for down days and rainy days..or those times i just wanted to sit and read..i am sorry he has passed..but as anyone who has read his books will atest...the man truly lived...

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

Not an ultralight.......

" He was not a ultralight hiker."

Having been a commando, maybe he was trained to just suck it up and drive on. Just a thought. Wade

• + New Posts