• Yes!

61 35.06%
  • Heck No

44 25.29%
  • Sometimes

69 39.66%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Cooking under tarp/near hammock

I have seen lots of folks on here talk about cooking from their hammock or making coffee/tea/coco etc. Outside of the obvious danger of catching you hammock or tarp on fire. This seems to me to be a really bad idea.

I don't live in bear country (some black bears here), but I still always cook away from where I camp for fear of bears or other animals. I have spent allot of time in the woods and from everyone I have ever talked to this practice is a very big deal, namely you just don't do it.

Just curious why it seems like I have seen so many who, what I feel are, outdoor savvy folks doing this?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'm with you. I've seen some people have some really cozy meals or a fine cup of tea in their hammock, but I have to resist. Bear sense says bad idea even though my belly thinks its the best idea in the world. Sadly I don't even do it when I'm not in bear country. I want my gear to smell like nothing more than nylon and my BO.

No bears in your corner of NC?
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Breakfast is best from the hammock, a la Shugster. I'm about to get up and break camp, and it's just boiled water, so there's really no problem with bears.

I've only done one supper under the tarp, when it was raining cats and dogs in Sipsey... we were all hunkered down except IHangInBankhead, who was stomping around with a pack full of water, scaring campers in another site.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I am not too worried about my hammock picking up some trace odors long-term, so I cook under the tarp when I'm in a thunderstorm or in an area where bears aren't a concern, which is honestly most of my camping.

I wouldn't worry at all about a cup of tea or hot chocolate, or really even the cook-in-the-bag type meals, which produce minimal odors - as long as you STORE them far from your site after you're done eating, I don't see much of a big deal.

Now, if I were backpacking in Yosemite or the Smokeys, I might change my tune a bit.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Not a problem in most of NC. Had one circle me in Linville Gorge one night but not a problem. Now in the Smokies where the bears associate people and food it's more of problem. But I wouldn't sweat it unless your fring trout!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I just know that I can't smell worth a darn and I don't want to presume what they can or can't smell. I admit I felt a lot of jealousy watching shug warm his insides from his hammock. I just see way too many bears even with a food-free camp.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I've never been in Grizzly Country, but with Black Bears I limit myself to hot coffee, tea, whiskey, and whisky in the hammock. I'm interested to see if I'm going to be eaten soon...

I theorize that Shug hasn't encountered bears because he ventures into weather that is too cold for most Ursa, but too warm for Polar Bears...The Shugilocks Zone...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    The Shugilocks Zone is also too cold for most of us humans

I plead guilty to breaking my own rule when it comes to whiskey. I know that stuff smells sweet, too. I had an unnerving but hilarious episode in Big Bend in college involving strawberry wine and a javelina.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Be sure to read this.

Better take a look at this. Read it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Better take a look at this. Read it all.
    Thats probably the funniest thing I have seen in a while.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast