Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, but I'll fight em for my Snickers!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    so when when camping in tents and it was raining buckets, you sat outside, cooked and ate? We didn't. We cooked in the vestibule, ate inside and tree'd EVERYTHING.

difference?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yeah, but I'll fight em for my Snickers!
    Sometimes a man has to make a stand when it comes to the good things in life!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    AC is right. I've cooked under my tarp within reason when the weather is bad, but not with the hammock strung up. There's more room in the kitchen that way anyway.

It's amazing to me that bears manage to get as much nourishment as they do in the woods, eating mostly berries and bugs. My wife feeds bears as a part of her job (seriously) and the amount of food that they go through is impressive. I can't blame them for taking any hint of easy food seriously.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    so when when camping in tents and it was raining buckets, you sat outside, cooked and ate? We didn't. We cooked in the vestibule, ate inside and tree'd EVERYTHING.

difference?
    When I was in scouts we had the Eureka Timberline tents w/o a vestibule. Looking back I cant remember a time when it actually rained buckets on us durring a trip around meal time. Now I have cooked and ate in the rain, not very heavy but rain none the less that was at Pictured Rocks, and I think that there was a time at Reid Lake Foot Travel Area, near Harrisville MI, that it was pretty wet the entire weekend. We just dealt with it. We werent your typical scout troop, we focused more on High Adventure Trips, we camped at least once a month in the summer, and always did a winter camp every year too.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    My wife feeds bears as a part of her job (seriously) and the amount of food that they go through is impressive.
    What's she do?

- MacEntyre, curious bear
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    She's the lead rehabilitator here:

http://www.wildlifecenter.org

It's not a state-run organization, but is currently the only facility for releasable bears in VA, so the game wardens drop them off there fairly frequently. There's a runty but cute cub in there now.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Generally, I'll stop and cook dinner about an hour before I'm ready to make camp and hike in on a full belly. If it's a short day's hike, I'll set camp and take a hike to an overlook or down by a stream for a nice view during dinner.

Morning time is under the tarp from the hammock. Boiling water for coffee and oatmeal before breaking camp minimizes my chances of being bear food. However, my friend refuses to wear a bell in bear country.

To him, bear bell = dinner bell.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I would think that the issue would be smells that are attaching to the tarp and possibly the hammock. I know that boiling water is going to be pretty safe, but eating in the hammock and risking spilling food (except pop-tart crumbs in Minnesota ) on your clothes or sleeping materials would be enough to attract bears. It's not the food, but the smells. Cooking near your tent/sleeping area can be enough, even if the food is later put away, to attract them.

I think of it like this: I've returned from trips and been lackadaisical with putting things up the day I returned. I'll shower, have a nice dinner, etc. then attend to my gear. After I've been away from camp, my gear, especially my clothes REEK of smoke from campfires. I imagine that if that smoke smell was a food smell, the bears would be able to find me miles away.

I don't know how long odors will stay in sil, or no-see-um netting, but I think it would be good to take a freshly washed hammock if I were to travel in bear country.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Good thought provoking info here. I'll be taking this more seriously AND I'll be able to differentiate the scat with bells Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast