Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Polyester UQ or TQ

Any reason not to use polyester (like costume satin) to make an UQ or TQ? I know some guys use it for their hammocks.

Jbo

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I think it would be much heavier than 1.1 nylon, Some use even lighter fabric than 1.1.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Not that UQs or TQs are supposed to get wet, but I thought I'd make an observation. I have two bathing suits. One is nylon and the other is polyester. I've noticed that the nylon (what the fabric stores would call "sport nylon") dries in 15 minutes or so, and the polyester takes a lot longer. I had a really agonizing wet butt when I drove back from paddling in that suit this summer - chilled me on an 80 degree day. To some degree, polyester might be more prone to picking up water vapor from your body.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Not that UQs or TQs are supposed to get wet, but I thought I'd make an observation. I have two bathing suits. One is nylon and the other is polyester. I've noticed that the nylon (what the fabric stores would call "sport nylon") dries in 15 minutes or so, and the polyester takes a lot longer. I had a really agonizing wet butt when I drove back from paddling in that suit this summer - chilled me on an 80 degree day. To some degree, polyester might be more prone to picking up water vapor from your body.
    That is the exact opposite of the characteristics listed for both fabrics. Polyester is hydrophobic, nylon absorbs water. Does the polyester suit have a lining? If so it could be the lining is the problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    No, gosh, I hate liners. It could be totally wrong but that's my anecdotal experience. Also, when summer hiking in the rain it seems like my supplex shorts dry somewhat quicker than my 100% poly shirts even though they're a heavier weight fabric. Could it be that nylon is hydrophilic in the raw but usually has DWR or some other finish applied that changes the equation?
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Some 'costume satin' fabric is prone to snagging and running, IME. I would steer away from them for outdoor use. my 2 cents.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    A lot of it has to do with the weave too. Supplex is designed to be a quick-drying fabric, that's why they usually make swim shorts out of it. It probably has less to do with how absorbent the actual fiber is and more to do with how big, and the arrangement of, the spaces between the fibers are.

The non-fiber-engineer,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Good point. It's probably too simplistic to compare broad categories like nylon and polyester. Anyhow, what about a polyester quilt? I've actually been thinking the same thing - I've got some really soft poly that I need to weigh but feels like it's in the mid 1 oz range. It'd be comfy on bare skin.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I'll stick with the nylon.

Jbo

• + New Posts