WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz

Pad in a ridge runner

I just received a RR and am intrigued by the idea of using a pad instead of an underquilt so that you could stay in a shelter if you choose (or on the ground). Will the temp rating of a pad be accurate in a RR? I have a BA 20* wide pad that fits nicely in the RR but I'm concerned it will not insulate adequately with nothing under it. Any experience you guys can lend?
    Thanks. JC

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Many users have reported using pads for insulation and they do work but I would highly recommend testing any pad close to home before ever taking this to the field as many have reported some condensation when using pads and condensation will kill you if it's cold.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use a pad in my RR and prefer it to an UQ. I do think though that a pad may not be as warm in a hammock as on the ground probably because of air flow beneath it.
    In conditions where I think my pad may fall a little short I carry a windshield reflector as well as the pad that folds flat in my pack against my back, weighs nearly nothing, and adds considerable warmth.
    I don't have any problems with condensation with my pad - maybe because of its design.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I too was/am "intrigued" with a pad in the RR. However, I received my RR yesterday and tried my XTherm pad in it, and decided it was not the route for me.

It worked (no cold spots in about 30 degree weather), however, it is a thick pad, raising my center of gravity, and I felt perched on top of the pad. I had cold spots on the back of my arms where they touched the edge of the hammock (where the Lynx would cover) which I remedied by putting spare clothing under there. Also, whenever I tried to roll on my side, it seemed like I had to readjust everything and never could let myself just relax and enjoy the hammock. I tried deflating the pad some, which helped, but just decreased bottom insulating capabilities.

I took the pad out and felt the true comfort of the hammock, which seemed to be custom made for me. I am going to just take the weight penalty and order the Lynx and carry the pad when I have to go to ground.

A lot of people have made a pad work for them, and even seem to prefer it to an UQ, so you will just have to try it and see what your personal preferences are. I think the wider a rectangular pad is, the better the lay would be. Good luck.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have used a pad in my RR. It's comfortable. If I don't have to carry it on my back I like my Thermarest Basecamp. 25" wide by 78" long. But it weighs 56 oz!!! (It's self-inflating). I would estimate it's about half inflated when I use it. I also have a 20" wide Big Agnes inflatable pad I've tried, but I think you will find it too narrow.

I'd really love to try a Sea to Summit Comfort Light Insulated Sleeping Pad (large size).

I'd also like to hear feedback from the Thermarest Xlite and Xlite Therm users about noise with those pads.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I think pad or no pad is simply personal. I first used a pad in my RR. To me I felt like I was high centered with the pad, kind of perched and not too secure. My daughter gave me a beefed up Ambush under quilt, I just love it. Later I aquired a Winter full length Lynx. I only used the Lynx once, nice but heavy.
    For me my REI wide & long pad, took away a lot of comfort using my RR.
    Just my personal experience. I like being in my hammock, not perched on top. I tried letting out the air, still just not right for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    Had my first experience in the RR with my BA 20* wide pad. In south GA it was in the upper 20s so it was a real test for my setup. First I will say I really like the RR. It's exactly what it is billed to be - a nice flat lay and very stable. Regarding insulation, I was adequately warm but not really snug. I think down to the 35-40* mark may be more realistic. The pad did have me more elevated in the hammock but that really didn't bother me. The strange part is that when I removed the pad and layed in the hammock I actually thought it was less comfortable - completely opposite of my WBBB. The pad gave it an almost mattress like feel - very comfortable. I'm a side sleeper and that position was very good as well in the RR. I was prepared to by an UQ but based on my one night test, I think I will sleep a few more nights with the pad. Thanks for all the input above.
    JC

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Pad or no pad it will be very very hard to do any kind of winter camping (temps 0-30) with just a pad. I'm not saying it's impossible but you will have to supplement significantly. They simply do not supply enough R values and no where near enough coverage on the sides. For 3 season pads work a bit better. It's hard to replace the R values in the winter Lynx for the RR. Plus 23.5 oz isn't bad for a 0° rated quilt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    The cold arms from the lack of width can be a problem but as for the "perch" just let out a bit of air. An air-filled pad is to keep you off the hard rocks and lumps on the ground which is useless in the hammock. The pad is just a big bag of insulation for hammock use. Some work much better than others. Let out a good bit of air and give it another try.

I use an old Thermarest UL (discontinued I think) for insulation down into the 40s or so and it's comfortable and warm. That same pad might be OK for ground use far below freezing but pads just don't seem to work the same in the hammock. I do have a "densified fiber fill" pad from Wiggy's I got years ago that works very well in the pad sleeve. For colder weather I finally broke down and got the Lynx.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchwaregear flyz
    I'm a side sleeper so the cold arms problem doesn't really seem like a problem I will face. With that said, I will prob end up with a Lynx also at some time in the future! Thanks for the inflation tip. I'll try that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast