Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie

Getting more sag in BB? Hanging indoors.

I am very new to hammocks and recently snagged a warbonnet blackbird. I've only been able to hang it in my basement which is a height of 84". The length between my "trees" are 17'. I've done the hammock calculator and it says at 17' I should be at 76" high. I am pretty comfortable in it and have napped for a few hours with no issues but think it might be hanging a bit tight? I get a bit of shoulder squeeze, nothing too bad, and my feet area is pretty tight. The ridgeline is slack enough, not guitar and not flapping.

Anyhow I'm kinda locked into those numbers for various reasons but how can I get more sag? Do I need more sag? Less? I'm just trying to see if I can dial in the feel before I take it out camping.

Thanks.

Images
    One way would be shorten the RL in the hammock by 2-3 inches. You can do this by taking a carabiner and wrapping the RL around the side that does not have the gate. Give 10-15 wraps a try. This will also give you a fixed place to hook or attack something to your RL that won't side around. hth

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Thanks, great idea. By RL you mean ridgeline right?

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Tried it out and it works definitely much slacker and comfortable but my hammock is super low now and the ridgeline is pretty tight. Is it OK to have the RL tight?

Kind of the point of a structural ridgeline 😀

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Ha. Well everything I've reading they say to have it sacker vs taunt... Super new to hammocks and it seems like a pretty small cord to hold my weight. Ha... How much tension is to much? Or does it not matter? Is there a thing as too much slack?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theck View Post
    Tried it out and it works definitely much slacker and comfortable but my hammock is super low now and the ridgeline is pretty tight. Is it OK to have the RL tight?
    Yes it would be tighter with just that one adjustment. You can now adjust each end of the hammock to loosen the RL (ridgeline) again and reset your sit distance from the floor.
    If you can raise or lower your wall attachment you should have no trouble getting everything dialed in just the way you want it.
    good luck

I also like a lot of sag in my hammock so my RL is quite saggy when I'm not in it and a little saggy when I in. I hope you can see the sag in this pict.

15935724709_4a9b877d23_o.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    OK I get that but my height is locked in since I'm hooked to eyes in my floor joists above... Can't go any higher which is what I'd need to do I think. If I slack the suspension to where the RL is a bit more sack the hammock ends up on the floor. Maybe I'm missing something in the explanation?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theck View Post
    OK I get that but my height is locked in since I'm hooked to eyes in my floor joists above... Can't go any higher which is what I'd need to do I think. If I slack the suspension to where the RL is a bit more sack the hammock ends up on the floor. Maybe I'm missing something in the explanation?
    No you are not missing anything. Not being able to raise or move your hammocks ty points means you have to compromise your setup. The tight RL is the only solution for more sag in your situation or go to a shorter hammock which could add other issues like more shoulder squeeze or pain in your heels or calf ridge pressure.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    12' UGQ Asym
    Insulation
    HG20 UQ / UGQ30 TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Ah OK. Got ya. Is it OK to have that much tension on the RL though? I'm concerned about it breaking. I'm 210 so there's quite a bit of weight on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast