JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhitman View Post
    REPORT !

I went to bed @ 11p.m. I wore everything I stated in my first post except I did double layer my wool socks. My head gear was light I only wore a cotton knit beannie with a thin balaclava under I was worried about this at first but it proved to be enough. It was 19deg. when I crawled in the hammock the wind was next to 0 and stayed that way all night. The settle in perdiod was short and I got warm very quick. I cant say enough god things about the mwuq4 and the old rag quilt top notch equipment. I stayed very very warm all night not even my feet got cold and that was a big bonus. There was a few drafty spots but nothing that was a real big deal mostly when I tried to sleep in a fetal position. This was easily taken care of with a small tuck and then rite back to sleep. This is the first time I have slept in this temps in a hammock but with this combo I would not be afraid to go to 0deg with a full ccf pad I would go lower.
    TNhitman,

Thanks for your "killer" report...Several have confirmed the zero degree capabilities of the JRB MW4 uq.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    HEre's my report from last night...

Tested out my Blackbird dbl 1.7. Underquilt was the Speer SnugFit. Top Quilt was the Speer TopBlanket. Covering all of this was the Speer Winter Tarp.

For clothing I wore Capilene III shirt and pants next to my skin with a long sleeve synthetic shirt over that and REI Sahara pants. One pair of Smartwool socks, and a balaclava.

Was in the hammock from about 10:45pm to 6am this morning. The thermometer said that it was 10 degrees this morning...

Tonight's game plan is to put my AHE BBO over the Blackbird and see if I can shed the Capilene II garments.

Randy

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    TNhitman,

Thanks for your "killer" report...Several have confirmed the zero degree capabilities of the JRB MW4 uq.

Pan
    No problem Pan thank you for the great equipment.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Tested out my Blackbird dbl 1.7. Underquilt was the Speer SnugFit. Top Quilt was the Speer TopBlanket. Covering all of this was the Speer Winter Tarp
    Sounds like a great combo with the Speer stuff. The Snugfit must work well on the asym hammocks like the BB

Was in the hammock from about 10:45pm to 6am this morning. The thermometer said that it was 10 degrees this morning...

Tonight's game plan is to put my AHE BBO over the Blackbird and see if I can shed the Capilene II garments.
    Keep us updated on how you think the overcover helps. I have to work early in the morning so I will be inside tonight.

Hammock
    Eno Double / GT Nano
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hangout I was looking at your hybrid UQ that is a handy piece of equipment.
    I love that you are making alot of your own gear. I tried for awhile to make my own gear but...huh it just didn't work out for me. I am not giving up on it but at the rate I was going my winter quilt would have been done next August.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The larger hybrid quilt in my gallery is the one I modified again and used the last couple nights. I made it into a trapezoid shape for my daughter's bridge. It's almost a full size quilt for her. After I was done I realized it fit my bridge like a glove. 11.4 oz total weight with 3 to 5 inches of loft in the right areas. The climashield on the sides makes sure the insulation is usable all the way to the edge of the quilt.

I thought is was pretty cool that all 3 TN hangers used different stuff with the same result. The JRB, Speer, and DIY all resulted in warm hangs around 10*. Different ways with the same result, FUN in the cold

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    well i just set up my hammock/tarp. i have my 20 degree bag, BA insulated pad and a 20x20 closed cell foam pad for my butt area. whether i grab all that stuff and head out to the frozen tundra or whether i just go to bed is to be determined. current conditions for hershey pa:

24 degrees, feels like 11
    low expected 18, winds 20-30 mph

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm going to sleep in the backyard tonight... 'spose to be 15*F.
    Got to 20*F, that's all... I was over-insulated!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    The topcover is key, IMO to keeping it toasty in the hammock.

I've hung alot out on my deck this past winter and, have learned that since putting a simple lightweight quilt over my bug ridgeline, I gain at least 15-20*!!!
    I'm planning on making a light topcover probably out of some Primaloft and ripstop nylon. The key is to completely cover the entire opening on top.

It's pretty fun to have a small digital thermometer hung inside and one outside to see the temp difference.

By the way, Mt LeConte is a great hike, Running Feather & I did that last April. You'll enjoy it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    report:
    i came back inside around 5:15 just b/c it was soooooo loud! the wind was hammering my oes tarp - good thing that stitching quality is top notch. i felt a little chilled when my feet or arm smashed up against the side of my hammock. i wish i could afford an underquilt, but for now i know that the dual pad will at least keep me survivable down into the teens

mountain hardware piute +20
    big agnes insulated airmat
    20x20 section of blue foam pad
    200 weight fleece pants
    expedition wool socks
    100 weight fleece top
    golite wisp wind shirt
    cheapo beanie

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast