DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

VIDEO: Wild River State Park - MN - Overnight

In continuation of my 12 month challenge here is my second video. Early January I took a day off from work and made my way out to the trails of Wild River State Park. It was overcast the whole time I was there which gave the park a quiet gloomy feel. The temp was around 20ºF in the day and 10ºF at night. I went to test a new borrowed stove for colder weather in preparation for a upcoming February trip. I also wanted to be close enough to the car if my 20º quilts failed me in the cold night out in the field. Testing at home just isn't the same as testing in the woods. Wind and tarping are noticeably different.

Most of the park is ski trails I found out. I didn't realized there were only two trails to hike/snowshoe until after I made my reservation sadly. I hiked them both anyways and found them very short but covered with ice. It was nice to see tracks of so many different animals out there and made me wish I had a pair of ski's so I could see more of the park in the winter.

The wildlife was out and about for sure. I had some deer run right through my camp again!(the last time i was there it happened as well) Always a little scary when you hear a larger animal crunching through the forest towards you. I got to see the trumpeter swans that the park is famous for and of course plenty of squirrels and rabbits. At night the coyotes were howling up a symphony which was nice to listen to. In the early morning I heard something on my tarp on the ground moving around which woke me up. I made a little noise and it moved along. I figure if I don't want animals around me while I sleep I shouldn't camp at all. Made it hard to go back to sleep though.

Having to get back to work the next day I packed up early and made my way out of the park. Gear worked out great except the MSR pocket rocket struggled at 6am when it was 3º windchill. I am glad I borrowed it first and didn't buy one.

Here is the video of the trip.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    That was an outstanding video. Really enjoyed the scenery and narration was great. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Great video. Loved the flying swans.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Nice job on the video. I enjoyed it.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Beautiful scenery you captured! Great video!
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Dutch Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban w/doors
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Buckles,straps
    You made me home sick. I really liked how you promoted the park for different activities. Great video.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a great SP to get away quick from the Cities. Glad you had some cold fun.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Excellent video. Well done. As I watched couldn't help thinking that we are fortunate to be able to get out into that type of environment in really cold temps and have the freedom to observe natural things up close (liked the swans and the colorful lichen) and be able to camp pretty much anywhere there are trees.

I can identify with your animal encounter. Had one similar last October. Probably was a raccoon but feeling it brush beneath me was a wake-up for sure.

I've gotten good use of Costco down blankets as supplements. Pretty inexpensive way of stretching 20F equipment a few degrees. I've used my Costco as top quilt add on by tying one end with strength as a foot box and inserting the Costco into my top quilt. Hadn't thought to try it as an underquilt supplement. Good idea.

Looking forward to other videos of your outings. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    That was an outstanding video. Really enjoyed the scenery and narration was great. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for watching and the wonderful compliments.

Great video. Loved the flying swans.
    I felt lucky, right spot and right time. They were my favorite part of the trip.

Nice job on the video. I enjoyed it.
    Thank you, I am glad to hear it.

Beautiful scenery you captured! Great video!
    I was worried about the gloomy day at first, but with so much around I just enjoyed the moment. A nice area indeed.

You made me home sick. I really liked how you promoted the park for different activities. Great video.
    Thanks for the great feedback. I wanted to provide something to the forums in case someone was consider that park for a hang or hike.There are plenty of hikes waiting for you in MN. You should come home.

That is a great SP to get away quick from the Cities. Glad you had some cold fun.
    Shug
    It is a shorter drive, work had me tied to a closer location this time around so I couldn't stray far. Thanks again for letting me know of the backpacking sites. I ended up talking with the rangers a good while about them because I never knew you could go in the winter until now.

I can identify with your animal encounter. Had one similar last October. Probably was a raccoon but feeling it brush beneath me was a wake-up for sure.

I've gotten good use of Costco down blankets as supplements. Pretty inexpensive way of stretching 20F equipment a few degrees. I've used my Costco as top quilt add on by tying one end with strength as a foot box and inserting the Costco into my top quilt. Hadn't thought to try it as an underquilt supplement. Good idea.
    Hopefully you weren't like me and freeze up initially. Adrenaline is a heck of thing waking up. I haven't tried the costco down in the TQ, but I will now after hearing about it.

This is why I enjoy this forum and the people so much. Everyone shares information and is so helpful.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Enjoyed your video and love your weather. The weather makes you know you are alive when you get up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast