DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps

Compression Straps

I made a stuff sack for my UQ last night. I want to make some compression straps for it. I'm thinking to use come straps and squeeze buckles. Should I use grosgrain or webbing? Looks like 5/8" size is available in both from Dutch, and the same price. I'm thinking of sewing buckles to two pieces of webbing (or whatever), then sewing the webbing together fairly near the buckles at a 90 degree angle. Then wrap around the sack and cinch - quick and easy. Does this make sense? Any suggestions?

Warning, mathineer joke ahead.
    If you're cold, go stand in the corner. It's 90 degrees! (But don't sit on the floor, it's 180!) :-)

mathineer

I'd use webbing. The only advantage of grosgrain is that it's lighter, but by a negligible amount to an engineer. While perhaps significant to a mathematician, it won't make up for the lower strength or the fact that grosgrain doesn't hold well in most buckles. Waveloc buckles supposedly work, but this is really a webbing application imo.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I'd use webbing. The only advantage of grosgrain is that it's lighter, but by a negligible amount to an engineer. While perhaps significant to a mathematician, it won't make up for the lower strength or the fact that grosgrain doesn't hold well in most buckles. Waveloc buckles supposedly work, but this is really a webbing application imo.
    I ended up with the webbing.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Post pics! I gotta see this.

Haha. I wish I had a corner to stand in that was 90 degrees. It has been so cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Just tell your corners to stop being so obtuse.

FWIW, even though you alreayd made the decision, you'd probably find grosgrain wouldn't work well with your buckles, even the "wave-lock" kind. It's too thin and slips easily.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You might say your corners are acutely aware of the cold...

FWIW, even though you alreayd made the decision, you'd probably find grosgrain wouldn't work well with your buckles, even the "wave-lock" kind. It's too thin and slips easily.

A psychologist conducts an experiment with an engineer and a mathematician. In a room on a table the psychologist places a sewing machine, some ripstop, and some Amsteel. He sends the engineer into the room and instructs him to make a hammock while he watches with the mathematician through a one-way window. The engineer diligently measures and cuts the fabric, and carefully sews a beautiful gathered-end hammock with Amsteel CL's.

The psychologist then puts the sewing machine and materials on the floor, sends the mathematician in, and gives him the same instructions. The mathematician places the sewing machine and materials on the table and walks out.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    A psychologist conducts an experiment with an engineer and a mathematician. In a room on a table the psychologist places a sewing machine, some ripstop, and some Amsteel. He sends the engineer into the room and instructs him to make a hammock while he watches with the mathematician through a one-way window. The engineer diligently measures and cuts the fabric, and carefully sews a beautiful gathered-end hammock with Amsteel CL's.

The psychologist then puts the sewing machine and materials on the floor, sends the mathematician in, and gives him the same instructions. The mathematician places the sewing machine and materials on the table and walks out.
    Well THAT explains some internal conflict! :-)

mathineer

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    I made a prototype compression system to go over a stuff sack tonight. It worked kinda sorta okay. Perhaps a few mods and it'll work better

IMG_0789.jpgIMG_0790.jpg

It took an already pretty full stuff sack and compressed it another 20%. I was trying to get by with just two cinch buckles. I think it would work a lot better if
    1. Make the end pieces larger so they wrap well over the ends of the sack.
    2. Sticky material would help it not slide around so much.
    3. Sew the webbing to the end pieces.
    4. Add two more cinch buckles.

mathineer

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    WL UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinchbuckles
    When packing stuff in my bag to take on the back of my motorcycle, I'd compress everything as much as I could to get as much as possible in my 1 bag.
    Later on, I picked up a double ended stuff sack for my tarp and hammock. By accident, I figured something out. My tarp fit tighter in the stuff sack than my hammock does. And my hammock packs very easily as the loose fitting stuff sack allows it to fit in my pack between the other stuff. I'm no longer a fan of the tightly packed bags. I like how efficiently a loose stuff sack fits into my bag with everything else. I guess I'm making my big bag, or pack, do the compressing.

---Charlie

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast