Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrapping my head around the WBBB design.. HELP before I loose my mind lol

I'm trying to deconstruct the construction and design of the Blackbird in my head, but I've been having some issues with grasping it fully. I want to understand how it's made so I can tweak it and make my own version of it. I've been looking at some of the clone patterns on this site but they don't really help.

What I'm starting to realize, or at least think, is that the edge of the hammock body that's facing the foot box and shelf is actually longer than the head side. Longer by approximately the length of the two triangle cathetuses that make up the netting part of the foot box. Is that correct? That would mean that the patterns I've seen, which are made from a right angled rectangle, is not constructed the same way as Brandon's.

Or have I just got the whole thing completely upside down and inside out?

I sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    I sent you a pm.
    Thanks, but as I replied to you, those plans you linked to use a rectangle as the main body. What it looks like to me is that the Blackbird uses a trapezium shape instead... But as I can't look at one irl I'm just about to lose it here because I can't let it go... I HAVE TO KNOW! lol

To clarify, the side with the foot box looks like it's lengthened by the length of two catethuses minus the hypothenuse of the triangle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle Mandelstam View Post
    To clarify, the side with the foot box looks like it's lengthened by the length of two catethuses minus the hypothenuse of the triangle.
    Wow is that math you are speaking on the Hammock Forums. I'm not sure that is allowed

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    FWIW, here in the backward USA, catheti are commonly referred to as the "legs" of a triangle; otherwise very few of us will have a clue to what you're referring...

Also FWIW, regardless of the actual shape Warbonnet uses for their product, unless you are trying to make yourself an exact copy of a Blackbird XLC, a triangular panel sewn to the edge of a rectangular hammock body (between it and the integrated net) should serve the same function the XLC's panel has in forming a footbox. You will achieve the same end, even if you arrive there through slightly different means.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Wow is that math you are speaking on the Hammock Forums. I'm not sure that is allowed
    Haha, I'm sorry for the math talk, I'll try to behave next time...

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    FWIW, here in the backward USA, catheti are commonly referred to as the "legs" of a triangle; otherwise very few of us will have a clue to what you're referring...

Also FWIW, regardless of the actual shape Warbonnet uses for their product, unless you are trying to make yourself an exact copy of a Blackbird XLC, a triangular panel sewn to the edge of a rectangular hammock body (between it and the integrated net) should serve the same function the XLC's panel has in forming a footbox. You will achieve the same end, even if you arrive there through slightly different means.
    Not really after to make a copy, just trying to understand how the design with the foot box works really. And as I haven't been able to even make a mock up I just tried to use my brain. Which didn't really work as one of the lovely members on here actually went and measured his hammock to finally put to death the weird idea I had. Thanks a lot Levi Tate!

So, no, the Blackbird isn't made from some weird trapezoid shape.

Love this place!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Can't help with the math, but know that there has to be a reason so many people are loyal to the WBBB design. Probably related to comfort.
    Works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Can't help with the math, but know that there has to be a reason so many people are loyal to the WBBB design. Probably related to comfort.
    Works for me...
    Yea, it definitely looks great! And I'm sure I'll either make a wbbb tribute hammock or buy one one day.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Here's a secret: there isn't anything special about the foot box. There's literally zero wizardry going on here

The hammock body is a rectangle.

The "foot box" is just the shape the net needs to take to accommodate a diagonal lay.

Imagine you were going to build an asym hammock, with a net. The shape of the net material might be an offset diamond, where sides A and B equal the edge length of your hammock:
    Capture.PNG

Now let's look at the shape of the Blackbird net. It looks something like this:
    Capture2.PNG

You can see it's very different, but realize there's a large portion added for the storage "shelf" (which is basically just an added on pocket). If we overlay the two design, you can see how the shape was derived:
    Capture3.PNG

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast