WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

"Reintroducing" myself

Hey all,

After 481 posts, numerous group hangs, a lot of learning and interaction on here, and meeting many, many new people that I had grown to enjoy hanging with, I disappeared after September 25th, 2014. At the time, my wife was hospitalized, in the ICU, due to her transplanted lungs going into organ rejection. Unfortunately, in November of that year, she passed away. That has a way of putting a damper on anything even remotely social for awhile, even forums.

It's been over two years since then. I've went out on one or two solo hangs late in 2016 (one just a few weeks ago), and one with a few friends from HF/ Ohio last summer. I'm "re-dipping" my feet into it again. You can't imagine the ability that hanging in the woods has to take your mind off of things.

With that said, I'm back! I think, lol. I missed it here. Just getting back to hanging a little bit has rekindled my desire to socialize on HF, so, allow me to "reintroduce" myself:

I'm Mike. I'm a 36 year old, former Marine and father of a 9 year old girl. I was born and raised in Ohio, where I still live, and work as an IT Manager. I've been hanging now for about 10 years, backpacking in general long before that, not to mention my time afield in the Marine Corps. I'm definitely a gear junky, mostly for stoves and cutting implements, lol. This past year, I started a website, with hopes to someday take newbies out on guided trips and teach them the basics as well, and just last week, I posted my first video to YouTube, with more to come.

Glad to be back all, even if it is the first post in over two years, it's significant to me!
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello Mike and Semper Fi. I'm a former Marine as well.

I can't tell you how sorry I am to learn about your wife, I can't imagine going through that. God be with you as you continue to heal.

We're looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and your back country mentoring efforts. Welcome back and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome back Mike and thanks for your service. Sorry for your loss as I can't even imagine what that would be like. Get that little girl some gear and train her up in the art of hammocking. She'll keep you company and is an excellent age to backpack with.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Welcome back Mike and thanks for your service. Sorry for your loss as I can't even imagine what that would be like. Get that little girl some gear and train her up in the art of hammocking. She'll keep you company and is an excellent age to backpack with.
    Haha, she's been hammocking for 4 or 5 years now! Made her her own tiny hammock for her birthday, and she did a 10.5 mile day hike in Dolly Sods this past summer...I'd have went insane without her being a hiking buddy!

Thanks for the words, and johnspenn, Semper Fi!
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Images
    Hello Mike and welcome back to hammocking and the forums. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
    I have sub'd to your youtube channel and look forward to watching your future videos.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Welcome back Mike! I usually limit my responses in this forum to folks in the Garden State but your post moved me a bit. I echo the condolences expressed above and extend my thanks for your service to our country as well. I hope you find that HF matches your memory of it. The community has changed a little in the last couple years but remains the friendliest, helpful, and civil place I know in the Interwebs. Perhaps we'll cross paths one day - MAHHA is between Ohio and New Jersey.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Mike, glad you're back! I'm new since you left, so I'm pleased to meet you! I'm very sorry to hear about you loss. I find that getting out into the woods, hanging the hammock and just relaxing really helps me to release the things that are bringing me down. Had mine up in the backyard today, and it was awesome! Again, welcome back, hope to see you around!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Welcome back, sorry about your wife and thanks for your service
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Nice to see you getting back to it. Hopefully getting out in the woods, and this community, can continue to help you heal.

Very glad to see you back. Time to organize a hang in the Sods!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast