Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Dutch also has some kevlar straps here. http://www.dutchwaregear.com/kevlar-...gers-pair.html

They weigh in at just over 20g. While I admire a light weight setup, I think an carrying an extra 20g is worth saving the trees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    This is a great solution.
    Thanks I will get these...

Miguelon el Cabezon

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelon el Cabezon View Post
    Which leads me to how short is too short?
    That's really dependent on where you camp and whether you go straps to CL, or straps to whoopies (I always carry whoopies just in case). On the east coast I can usually get buy with 4' straps on new growth. In areas that haven't been logged in recent generations I might go 8' straps. When I went to Yosemite I took 12' straps because I was nervous, but in practice 8' straps would have sufficed.

Multiply the diameter of the largest tree you expect to hang from by pi and that will give you the minimum strap length just to get around the trunk, then add in a couple feet for going to a whoopie, or potentially add in more if you don't use whoopies or you think your trees might be far apart.

So, it all depends.
    Last edited by Caminante; 01-12-2017 at 16:13. Reason: Edited for mathematical error
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Miguelon el Cabezon, I thought your original idea was great! It seems you are concerned about the welfare of the trees as much as anyone else, you just go about it differently. It is a quest for some people to create the lightest usable hammock they can, and you may have taken a step forward. How to describe it...maybe attach some pictures? I see it as amsteel around both trees (well protected and surrounded with small, perhaps split sticks, maybe an inch in diameter) and then 22 feet of fabric folded in half through one loop of amsteel on a tree. Then the other end of the fabrics are tied to the amsteel somehow temporarily. It would be a very easy 2 layer hammock to make! People should learn to tie knots anyway. I bet yours are much lighter than what I have made, and maybe a lot of fun to make!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    ...I'm an avid gardener. I particularly love ornamental trees. Hence, this post. So, what I am getting is that there isn't a good solution to lower the weight of tree straps.

...leads me to how short is too short?
    I'm really not sure where you're going here, but figure you could use this link...

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    If you indeed live in Portland, then you want them as long as possible.

If you are camping in old growth forests, you need to be able to get around a 2'-3' tree and still have enough to tie onto. I carry 12'.

Also keep in mind that this part of the system will get the most wear and tear (and sap and gunk). So i recommend just using cheap webbing from the hardware store in case you need to get new ones some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbite View Post
    Miguelon el Cabezon, I thought your original idea was great! It seems you are concerned about the welfare of the trees as much as anyone else, you just go about it differently. It is a quest for some people to create the lightest usable hammock they can, and you may have taken a step forward. How to describe it...maybe attach some pictures? I see it as amsteel around both trees (well protected and surrounded with small, perhaps split sticks, maybe an inch in diameter) and then 22 feet of fabric folded in half through one loop of amsteel on a tree. Then the other end of the fabrics are tied to the amsteel somehow temporarily. It would be a very easy 2 layer hammock to make! People should learn to tie knots anyway. I bet yours are much lighter than what I have made, and maybe a lot of fun to make!
    Just fyi it's a single layer of material... https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...-ripstop-nylon
    Once I have the new straps, I will post weights and photos. I see this hammock as more for naps... I plan on being a ground dweller. Using pads and not underquilts... but, when I want to I am able to hang...

Miguelon el Cabezon.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I plan on being a ground dweller

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    ... I plan on being a ground dweller...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    (blank)
    Exactly !!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12