Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images

Deviation from Hennessy's Instructions

I've been deviating from Hennessy's figure-lashing and Tree Hugger use. So far, I haven't had any catastrophic failures, but the O-ring on the Challenger worked for a while, too. Please tell me if I'm flirting with disaster.

I bought the extra long webbing because I found the standard Tree Huggers aren't long enough to make it around most trees on my property. My deviation is to run the webbing through the loop on the opposite end and cinch it tight, much like the ENO Slap Straps. This also helps keep the webbing attached to the tree when I need to do other things. Is this causing undo stress on the loops at the end of the webbing? Headchange4u appears to be using the same method:

The second deviation is instead of using the tedious Figure-8 lashing that Hennesy instructs, I've been using the Siberian/Evenk Knot at each end of the suspension. This is a fast and simple knot to tie, and it "explodes" for a quick release. I read that knots can create weak points in the line, reducing the tensile strength by 50% in some rope. Will this knot cause a failure in my suspension?

Siberian/Evenk Knot

Finally, because I'm using only one end-loop of the webbing for my suspension cord, and Hennessy instructs using both, will this cause the loop to fail? To borrow from Headchange4u again, here is an illustration:

Last edited by Trooper; 01-03-2010 at 12:57.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've looped my huggers around the tree like that and haven't noticed any problems.

Knots can certainly weaken line. Somewhere there's a website that lists each knot and how much it weakens line...search around and you may be able to find it, but if you're using an exploding knot then there probably isn't enough pressure in there to break the line, as long as you use strong line. (Amateur's opinion there.)

Re: running the line thru the hugger like that, just keep an eye on the edges of the webbing loop...you'll eventually notice wear. Most of it comes from pulling the line thru with weight in the hammock (like your insulation, pack clipped on, etc). Rubbing two synthetics together under pressure is a surefire way to make them fail. So just support the weight of the hammock as you pull the line thru and you should be fine...you'll see the wear well before it fails. I use that method a lot as well.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Thanks, Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Knots can certainly weaken line. Somewhere there's a website that lists each knot and how much it weakens line...search around and you may be able to find it, but if you're using an exploding knot then there probably isn't enough pressure in there to break the line, as long as you use strong line. (Amateur's opinion there.)
    Do you think the standard line on a Hyperlite is strong enough? I don't know what it is, but it is stiff and braided black line with some tan.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Polyester-sheathed Spectra.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Trooper, that's how I have used my treehuggers since '01. It has caused one catastrophic failure in that time - like Just Jeff said, I inadvertently sawed through the loop with the original HH spectra line (now replaced with static climbing accessory cord). That was probably an operator fail rather than a treehugger technique fail. Watch the loop doesn't start to fray and you should be good to go.

I make my own treehuggers now or use a rigger's belt, so it's no longer an issue.

Hammock
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I'm going to revitalize this thread again with another question...

I've been using webbing in the same manner as shown in the original post. But, is there any advantage to using a carabiner versus an integral loop in the webbing? For example:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Thanks, Jeff!

Do you think the standard line on a Hyperlite is strong enough? I don't know what it is, but it is stiff and braided black line with some tan.

it's the webbing that will burn through, not the line.

with a tree strap, it's almost just as easy to thread one end through the other since they are relatively short, with an adj webbing suspension the biner is nice because the webbing is much longer and it keeps you from having to un-thread the buckles.

i'd be inclined to use the biner on the other end of the tree strap (the one you tie the line to)

if you are tying line to ring or biner, the "slipped buntline" is great.

if you're tying line to webbing loop, try a slipped sheetbend, or slipped double sheetbend (use the double if you find the single sheetbend slips on you, the single may or may not slip, the double will not)

• + New Posts