Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles

AL>Planning a long distance trip on the Pinhoti + VIDEO

I've been ready to do another longish distance hike since finishing 40 miles on the GA AT in August of 2016. While I had originally wanted to go back to the GA AT and try to complete it, I recently took my first trip on the Pinhoti in AL (where I live) and was blown away at the trail that is within a 2 hours drive from my front door. I'm currently in the planning stages for anywhere from a 3 night - 6 night trip on the Pinhoti. First I have to decide if I want to do the first 2 sections with 15+ miles of road walking or if I want to start at section 3. Tough stuff, lol. Anyways I plan to share my planning throughout the next few months, if for nothing else, just to bounce my ideas of those of you with Pinhoti experience. I guess I'll ask a few questions and if anybody is able to give answers then I'd greatly appreciate that.

1. How boring is the road walk?
    2. What are the best months to semi-rely on the "seasonal water" sources mentioned on the etrail guide at the Pinhoti Trail Alliance? (I'm initially thinking about the last week of May since I'll already have memorial day off)
    3. Has anybody camped in the first section? (If I do the road walk I'll possibly plan on trying to hang in this section close to the start of the road walk to try and knock it out in one day)
    4. What is a good expectation of miles per day? (When on the AT I did 12-13 miles each day)

Guess that's about it for the questions. Now I'll share what my planning has involved so far. I've been working on a spreadsheet to compress the etrail info. I'll show it here:
    etrail spreadsheet.JPG

And the rough fist plan is outlined here:
    plan 1.JPG

Lastly I started a Vlog of my daily hikes today and will probably try and do one each week if possible. I'm participating in a weight loss challenge at work, as well as getting ready for my longer hike. I've pretty much put on about 3/4 of my pack weight since my hike on the AT. So, to accomplish that I'm trying to get out each day to walk between 3 and 5 miles; and may transition into a little bit of trail running/jogging at some point as I begin to recondition. Thanks to my Sister I've been able to discover a couple of nature preserves really close to my house where I can get this walking in on trails without having to get my feet on that dreaded concrete. Plus, I find it so much easier to walk farther in the woods than I do in circles on pavement. Long story short I'll share my Vlogs here as I go if that's OK. If you read this far, Thanks and ENJOY THE HIKE!!

Last edited by souperman63; 01-13-2017 at 15:50.

Hammock
    WBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Cinch Buck/Stingrz
    Images
    Good luck man, I'll follow along. I did sec 12 in Dec and it was awesome. I stayed in the shelters because I've never done that before. I too want to hike the AL Pinhoti over the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have come to realize that fat boys don't hike. I need to quit or hike more!" - Big Fish

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Here another thread about doing a trip on the pinhoti you might want to read and might answer some questions you have: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...gestions-input
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

• + New Posts