DIY Taffeta 11'
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware Poly

Another CDT top quilt question?

I'm new to the hammock world and even newer to the DIY world so bare with me please...
    I'm thinking of purchasing a set of the CDT's and sewing them together, then using Sargevinig's instructions on making the top quilt. With two quilt's sewn together, what do you think would be the low temp for this build? I know there are a lot of variable's but was looking for a "guesstimate" on what I could expect. It should be noted that I have never sewn anything and the wife has not sewn anything since middle school...........this should be interesting. For my first project, I want to make it as easy as possible so I'm not looking to rip seams quite yet. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Probably the equivalent of a 50* rated quilt. If you are a warm sleeper, possibly lower. If you seam rip possibly lower even.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Somewhere between 40* and 30* F, depending on which calculation in this thread you believe.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=formula

The formula says:

+50-(70-50)/2=40

Conversely, the EE spreadsheet says you'll get 30*, but with sewn-thru construction (no baffles), I'd hedge on that number. I personally think the numbers presented by EE are a bit optimistic. I just don't see how a stacked 0* and 40* is good to -30 or -40* F. NOTE: I'm assuming one CDT is good to 50* F, which is what I've often heard.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-12-2017 at 20:00.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    We've had our modular tq's down to 27*, but that was with an LLG 20* uq, and I sleep hot. We were wearing medium merino base layers and merino socks. The backs of my legs began getting chilled about 3-4am, probably when it dropped below freezing. Investigating in the morning, we discovered big gaps at the foot end of our uq's. Operator error. My wife sleeps cold even in warm temps so we had to pile on an extra cdt uq, tq and fleece. We had been expecting low temps in the upper 30's not 20's. Thankfully our vehicle was only about 15ft away and we brought extra insulation.

Oh yeah, all of our cdt's are seam ripped. It's probably the easiest part of the whole thing, although quite tedious.

We made single layer tq's modular with grosgrain around the edges, then installed kam snaps. If they're not joined together they become a handful to enter in the middle of the night, too many loose parts to deal with in the dark. It's nice to be able to separate them for use in the house and also warmer weather.

What Silv said, single cdt is comfortable down to 50 perhaps for the "average" or warmer sleeper. Double cdt's I'd say upper 30's. Below that you'll need to be wearing a lot of extra stuff.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 01-12-2017 at 20:35.

Hammock
    DIY Taffeta 11'
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ / HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware Poly
    Thanks for the info. I'll also be using my Insulated Klymit Static V sleeping pad. I was hoping this project would get me to between 30 and 40 degrees. I guess there's only one way to find out. Time to get to Costco!

• + New Posts