Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    1/4" Closed Cell Foam pads can be purchased in 36"-48" wide rolls. I recently chopped mine up to make footbox and sit pads or I'd give you some.

http://www.foamorder.com/foam/closed-cell-foam.html

https://hikenoworklater.com/2014/09/...ght-sleep-pad/
    that EVA foam looks great, is this the same stuff that Gossamer Gear uses? I notice from that article their 1/4" pads came out lighter than their 1/8" pads even though they had the same dimensions, guess there is just variation in the density due to how it is manufactured

Separately, do you think a 1/8" EVA foam pad would keep a warm sleeper comfortable down to about 40? Want to replace my heavy Thermarest but have to wait a bit until I can buy an underquilt

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Don't if GG is using same stuff, difficult to tell given all the options out there. And yes there are variations in density and likely a couple other factors that go into final weight.

I've used your basic blue pad from Wally World down to 40. I haven't used a full width/length 1/8" pad down to 40 because mostly I've used it for a sit pad and foot box pad. What I can say is on the couple of occasions that I've suffered the dread CBS because of a quilt rig issue, I've just moved the pad from the foot box to under the small of my back and it solved the problem and this was in the 30's or colder.

I really need to order some more foam and one thing I will do is cut a 3/4 length pad and give it a go. So, without having actually used 1/8" down to 40 myself, I hesitate to recommend doing it but I will be trying it myself and am reasonably confident I will be good to go.

Sent from my hammock using whatever had a signal.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    tablecloth for now
    Tarp
    Harbor Freight
    Insulation
    Blue Foam
    Suspension
    Web & Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    GossamerGear has pad 40 wide by 70 long and 3/16 thick-I think. Better to get larger pad and only trim it down some if it's too large. That way there's no hangover the edge of pad and cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html
    looks like 1/4"
    Dimensions
    39 x 59 x 1/4 in. ( 99 x 150 x 0.64 cm.)
    NOTE: sizes may vary by up to ½ in. (1.3 cm.)

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Probably runs counter to most advice heretoin, but I am very pleased with the performance of my exped downmat 7UL MW for down to 28*F (tested), For warmer seasons I like the exped synmat 7UL LW (don't seem to have a MW). I use these in both my hammocktent 90 degree and my DH Raven. They are 25" wide and provide ample support when lightly inflated to resemble a lofted UQ. Benefits: wide enough to keep shoulders warm; nice firm platform to prevent calf ridge, shoulder squeeze, while keeping the hammock sides away from your face (don't need tie outs); light weight and very packable; great for going to ground; excellent flotation device in case of flood or airline disaster; probably more. When it gets colder or CBS I can double up with a DIY light duty CTD or DIY down sleeping bag UQ and go as low as you want to experience.

Cost more, sure, but much more versatile and has a great ebay resale value that will let you re-coup your costs by more than just hammock users if you don't care for them. Hint; buy used off ebay.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I was avoiding this question as I thought it was in the Ladies only forums
    I would recommend going to REI and laying on the pads there if you have one near. This way you find one you like and how much noise it makes. Some of these pads are like sleeping on plastic as they make a lot of noise. If you can swing it go for an under quilt would be my advice.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Probably runs counter to most advice heretoin, but I am very pleased with the performance of my exped downmat 7UL MW for down to 28*F (tested), For warmer seasons I like the exped synmat 7UL LW (don't seem to have a MW). I use these in both my hammocktent 90 degree and my DH Raven. They are 25" wide and provide ample support when lightly inflated to resemble a lofted UQ. Benefits: wide enough to keep shoulders warm; nice firm platform to prevent calf ridge, shoulder squeeze, while keeping the hammock sides away from your face (don't need tie outs); light weight and very packable; great for going to ground; excellent flotation device in case of flood or airline disaster; probably more. When it gets colder or CBS I can double up with a DIY light duty CTD or DIY down sleeping bag UQ and go as low as you want to experience.

Cost more, sure, but much more versatile and has a great ebay resale value that will let you re-coup your costs by more than just hammock users if you don't care for them. Hint; buy used off ebay.
    Ditto OTD... just insert "Klymit Insulated Satic V" where he says exped (for me). When air pads are used properly everything he says I confirm.

Tex
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    yeah same here

I've got the exped synmat 9, and it's really comfortable, and very warm

Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    I've got the insulated Orange Thermarest prolite like Shuggidy SHug Shug shug features in his video.

I use it coupled with a big agnes bag that has an integrated sleeve and it functions very well in a hammock. It is surprisingly warm as pads go.

It's only twenty inches wide but works well with the big agnes bag. Stays under me. Isn't too small for my purposes.

Certainly isn't an underquilt, but works for my needs, until my hunger for an UQ finally overwhelms me.
    I think a lot of hammockers miss this option. The Big Agnes bag has no bottom insulation. Instead, as mentioned by Cabmanhang, it has the intergrated sleeve. These were not invented for hammock usage; but, they may as well have been. It keeps the pad in place and the sleeping bag serves the same function as a top quilt. If one wants to be duel purpose with the oft stated concern about the need to go to the ground, this is indeed one of the better options available.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123