Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Once you get it right, the UC should fit like a glove, OC too if you got one- assuming the right size SS ( only 2 sizes). That really doesn't sound like too bad of a start for a 1st attempt. Good luck!

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    so my report of the SS .
    hammock
    heatsheet. /emergency blanket .reflective on top orange color on the bottom..
    ocf henessy pad.
    0 deg rated coleman max mummy .. (very heavy bag btw)
    i wore rocky long underwear (underarmor copy)
    one pair wool socks
    and my smart wool beanie with neck/ face warmer.
    i went to bed about 10:30
    and was very warm .when i got in the hammock there was ice on the tarp .the tarp sagged when i got in i laid there for a while thinking if i should tighten it up and ,and didnt want condinsation so back out i went .
    it was pretty darn warm .i always take a book to the hammock so read for a bit .my back didnt get cold all night .
    BUT i think every one on my block has a diffrent trash service and they all decided to pick up lastnight. so that kept me up. but i was warm .. about 2am my top started cooling my nose was very cold .the temp had droped alot.
    my low temp record doesnt count , i ended up comeing in at 3am . it was 17deg F .not much wind.
    So all in all this SS works great .and wasnt cold but my top didnt stay that wam either .just at that uncomfortable temp for a bout 2hours.but my back stayed warmer than my top .
    i like it ! had no trouble getting the pad back to the stuff sack. that was nice.
    also used the stock tarp . might have pitched alittle too high as to help with any condisation .that might have reduced warmth a bit.. so this morning tear down .. i looked for any wetness there was a few drops on the heatsheet .thats all i could find..
    overall im very pleased as the SS did keep my back very comfortable.more testing needed.17deg F was what i went down too but came in .OH i had no problems with the pad moving .when i entered the hammock i just moved the foot end of the pad over a bit checked the sheet.
    also didnt use the overcover .still ned to order that.
    thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    so my report of the SS .
    hammock
    heatsheet. /emergency blanket .reflective on top orange color on the bottom..
    ocf henessy pad.
    0 deg rated coleman max mummy .. (very heavy bag btw)
    i wore rocky long underwear (underarmor copy)
    one pair wool socks
    and my smart wool beanie with neck/ face warmer.
    i went to bed about 10:30
    and was very warm .when i got in the hammock there was ice on the tarp .the tarp sagged when i got in i laid there for a while thinking if i should tighten it up and ,and didnt want condinsation so back out i went .
    it was pretty darn warm .i always take a book to the hammock so read for a bit .my back didnt get cold all night .
    Congrats Jonesy! I don't see how any one could ask for a better first night at such temps!

BUT i think every one on my block has a diffrent trash service and they all decided to pick up lastnight. so that kept me up.
    Tell me about it Bro! I almost live in the country. Still, between barking dogs and auto noise, it is a challenge for me to backyard test. I'm a bit of an insomniac anyway, and it doesn't take much noise to wake me up. Luckily, on the trail I am out like a light and can sleep for many long hours.

but i was warm .. about 2am my top started cooling my nose was very cold .the temp had droped alot.
    my low temp record doesnt count , i ended up comeing in at 3am . it was 17deg F .not much wind.
    Oh it counts! 1030P to 0300 is long enough at those temps to count. If you were warm enough at 0300, you could have at least made it a few more hours. Or, at worst you would need it to be a couple of degrees warmer in order to make it a few more hours. And then only if you were on the verge of having a cold back at 17F.

But some of you guys amaze me. I still might sort of be the original HHSS Guru around here, but only in the sense that I think I was the original SS guy at the HF. And the only one or at least one of very few back then. (as far as I remember, correct me yall if I am wrong) Or at least the 1st one posting a good bit about it's pros and cons and ways experiments I ran trying to get more out of it. But here I am all proud of myself because I went to- what, 14 or 15 the other night and was plenty warm. BUT, by using the kidney/torso pads and adding stuff down below the pad. And here you are fine at 17F with just the most basic system! And I believe RamblinRev reported being OK ~12 on his 1st try with the basic SS! ( Is that right, Rev?) And then there is that guy from Canada(name?) who went well below zero with the basic system. Good grief, I am a SS amateur! (EDIT: I am not forgetting KWPapke's minus 20 something, but like me he is gung ho to add stuff below the pad) I still feel that, for me, the basic system by itself is just barely OK for about 30, anything below that is really pushing it. OTOH, there are several people who have had no success with the SS at all, they were either cold or wet or both. It seems to run a little over half are satisfied or very happy with it, while some others are completely unhappy with it. I guess it is a crap shoot.

So all in all this SS works great .and wasnt cold but my top didnt stay that wam either .just at that uncomfortable temp for a bout 2hours.but my back stayed warmer than my top .
    Again, impressive.

i like it ! had no trouble getting the pad back to the stuff sack. that was nice.
    also used the stock tarp . might have pitched alittle too high as to help with any condisation .that might have reduced warmth a bit.. so this morning tear down .. i looked for any wetness there was a few drops on the heatsheet .thats all i could find..
    overall im very pleased as the SS did keep my back very comfortable.more testing needed.17deg F was what i went down too but came in .OH i had no problems with the pad moving .when i entered the hammock i just moved the foot end of the pad over a bit checked the sheet.
    also didnt use the overcover .still ned to order that.
    thanks
    All right! Glad to hear it!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-12-2010 at 20:03.

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    thanks billybob ..
    but really all aside .i think this test was really to see where i was as far as warmth goes .. so i really think 17deg's was a more than fair push to test the undercover and pad .. really dont think i would push it that low again with what i used lastnight .but i would with a diffrent choice of sleep cloths .what really pleased me was that i really tend to have cold feet .my feet where most comfortable .when i opened the ss i was like what in the $%&# is this .. cheap . but it works. its alot less bulky as a regular sleep pad. im pleased ..
    and thank you again billybob for the good postings

oh i did also leave the undercover installed it did fit in the snakeskins

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Hey! Congratulations jonesy. Just wanted to add that if you like the SS as it is having to use the bottom entry, just wait until you get a zipper mod... you'll change your bed for the hammock (one day... one day, you'll see).
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    Sorry if you already gave this info and I missed it, but: were you inside that 0 degree bag you used, or did you use it quilt style? The reason I am asking is: if it is a zero degree synthetic bag, especially an older one, you probably picked up some backside warmth from the bag. Hard to say how much, but at least a few degrees and maybe a good bit more.

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Sorry if you already gave this info and I missed it, but: were you inside that 0 degree bag you used, or did you use it quilt style? The reason I am asking is: if it is a zero degree synthetic bag, especially an older one, you probably picked up some backside warmth from the bag. Hard to say how much, but at least a few degrees and maybe a good bit more.
    yes i was inside the bag.its a newer bag ,i think we picked it up this fall..ill be on the market very soon for a down bag prob a 20 deg rated..

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by elcolombianito View Post
    Hey! Congratulations jonesy. Just wanted to add that if you like the SS as it is having to use the bottom entry, just wait until you get a zipper mod... you'll change your bed for the hammock (one day... one day, you'll see).
    oh yeah im kinda getting to the point of not liking the bottom entry very much.its ok if your hung higher .but a lower hang and its a real pain to get in .
    and organized .

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    oh yeah im kinda getting to the point of not liking the bottom entry very much.its ok if your hung higher .but a lower hang and its a real pain to get in .
    and organized .
    Then hang high man! HH works best when the forward end of the slit is hung to meet the bend in your knee.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Expedition w/Hex Tarp, Mod 3
    Insulation
    Potomac KAQ, MSS
    Suspension
    Stock