Sugestions for a very cold natured sleeper

I ordered a HH Explorer Delux Asym as my first hammock. I have done a bit of tent camping but this will be my first hammock tent so i don't know what to expect.

90% of my camping is done when the lowest temps are above 45* but I hope to be prepared for any weather. I'm looking for sugestions as to what arrangement you would recomend for me. here is the criteria:

• I tend to be very cold natured when i sleep.
    • I'm 6'2" 260lbs so i need a big enough sleeping bag to be comfortable.
    • Weight is not a huge issue to me, i am not to the point where i'm counting every ounce.
    • trying to stay around $175 or less.
    • must be compatible with HH Explorer Dlx Asym
    • not really interested in making my own. (home made is fine but i don't have a sewing machine or any real sewing knowledge)
    • to be used for car camping or single-overnight hiking, I'm not a serious backpacker.

ummmm... if i left anythign out just ask but i'm open to any ideas about sleeping bags, quilts, pads, or anyhtign else to keep me warm in the spring and fall.

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. ~George Smith Patton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    For around $180, delivered, you could get a Potomac (synthetic) underquilt. Check with BlackBishop351, who makes them. You might want a long, so not sure if that'll be extra $$. You'd still need a top quilt although you could use a regular sleeping bag unzipped as a quilt.

I have used this underquilt with my HH Explorer Deluxe -- it works great down to around 30F for me, and I'm a cold sleeper too.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't buy a sleeping bag unless you plan to hack it up for use as an overquilt. I used Hammock Engineer's plans for an overquilt: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=383 and it seems to work good to those temps. JRB and Potomac underquilts both fit the HH very well and will be highly recommended by the non-DIYers here. I'm attempting to make a Potomac, but it ain't easy.

Or, you could use the $5 Wally World pad under you. I sweat way too much for that option, but it's cheap and effective. Good luck and have fun with it!

Yeah, sleeping bags are not best way to make use of insulation.

Weight not being an issue, go for the Potomac UQ, Cheap-Mart $14 rectangular sleeping bag (unzip and use as an overquilt), and a CheapMart blue CCF pad.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    I ordered a HH Explorer Delux Asym as my first hammock. I have done a bit of tent camping but this will be my first hammock tent so i don't know what to expect.

90% of my camping is done when the lowest temps are above 45* but I hope to be prepared for any weather. I'm looking for sugestions as to what arrangement you would recomend for me. here is the criteria:

• I tend to be very cold natured when i sleep.
    • I'm 6'2" 260lbs so i need a big enough sleeping bag to be comfortable.
    • Weight is not a huge issue to me, i am not to the point where i'm counting every ounce.
    • trying to stay around $175 or less.
    • must be compatible with HH Explorer Dlx Asym
    • not really interested in making my own. (home made is fine but i don't have a sewing machine or any real sewing knowledge)
    • to be used for car camping or single-overnight hiking, I'm not a serious backpacker.

ummmm... if i left anythign out just ask but i'm open to any ideas about sleeping bags, quilts, pads, or anyhtign else to keep me warm in the spring and fall.

Thanks!
    -Ryan
    Ryan,

If you are truly cold natured, and if as you say, "want protection to 45* but be prepared for any weather", you should strongly consider options designed to provide for 30 degree weather.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

pads are about the cheapest way to go but also the hardest to deal with in my opinion. I have a "no sniveller" quilt from the Jacks and it is awesome! I can use it as an under or top quilt in my hammock, wear it under my jacket in winter or use it as a blanket on the bed in the camper. I like when I can use gear for more than one purpose. To me I may have spent more but i got more also. Its a great quilt and have gotten great service from the Jacks too.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    If you want to spend a bit MORE, the JRB Stealth quilt (down) as an underquilt is a good option. But that's starting to move away from the price range you were looking for. That will get you down to around 40F (at least it works to that range for me). Plus you can wear it around camp like an insulated poncho, and/or configure it as a top quilt, if you wanted to. I use the Potomac and the Stealth combined as underquilts, and have gotten down to 19F comfortably that way.

Just tossing that into the mix too, fwiw.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    If you want to spend a bit MORE, the JRB Stealth quilt (down) as an underquilt is a good option. But that's starting to move away from the price range you were looking for. That will get you down to around 40F (at least it works to that range for me). Plus you can wear it around camp like an insulated poncho, and/or configure it as a top quilt, if you wanted to. I use the Potomac and the Stealth combined as underquilts, and have gotten down to 19F comfortably that way.

Just tossing that into the mix too, fwiw.
    This is a good option... The range and versitility of the Stealth is really pretty economical..... However, if one wants identical weather protection at a lower price the Shenandoah quilt is the same specifications as the Stealth, except without the resealable head hole feature at $ 169 for regular which will readily work as a UQ for HandsomeRyan's size.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts