Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Rare Test Opportunity in Alabama

Well we have some really cold weather here in Alabama now. I slept in the backyard for the last two nights. It only dropped to 26º Sunday night but this morning at 5:00 am it was 17º. Both nights my set-up consisted of a double 1.1 BB, Yeti 3 season uq with reflective liner, and a Neoair mattress under a Speer Winter Tarp. I started out wearing Polar Max fleece long underwear, wool socks, fleece balaclava, fleece gloves, fleece neck gaiter, JRB down hood and used a Go Lite Ultra 20 tq. I was toasty with this configuration Sunday night but I woke a little cool at around 3:30 this morning and wrapped my feet in a Puffball vest and put on a Marmot Dri Clime and went back to sleep.

With the lows expected to be in the teens for the rest of the week I'm going to try another set-up. It is supposed to go as low as 12º Thursday night and I am going to try the Yeti uq in combination with a JRB Stealth summer uq and eliminate the neoair. I am also going to supplement the Go Lite Ultra 20 with a Go Lite down jacket.

I am very cold natured and have been reluctant to try winter hanging but it appears that I can keep myself warm. The Thursday night test has the possibility of including rain, ice and snow. That will be a real test for me.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Great job Dale.

...stay warm out there.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    pay attention to wind direction and tarp deployment- it is so much easier to stay warm when you are Dry than whwn you are wet!
    cheering from the sidelines, KM

Images
    Dale, Glad you're out there on the front line, leading the way, pushing back the frontier, carrying the torch for us old timers! I'd be glad to loan you my down booties- they're worth their very-little weight in pure gold. Carry on!!!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    Dale, Glad you're out there on the front line, leading the way, pushing back the frontier, carrying the torch for us old timers! I'd be glad to loan you my down booties- they're worth their very-little weight in pure gold. Carry on!!!
    Just bought a pair of Sierra Designs and you are right about their value.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    OoooWeee that cold...Alabama is sposed to be HOT...
    Nice report
    stay WARm
    Tom

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks so much for your report! Always things to learn from others' experiences. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Stay warm!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Southmark:
    thanks for the report on the "warm" southern weather we are experiencing down here. I look forward to more reports on how things worked out for ya.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    Well we have some really cold weather here in Alabama now. I slept in the backyard for the last two nights. It only dropped to 26º Sunday night but this morning at 5:00 am it was 17º. Both nights my set-up consisted of a double 1.1 BB, Yeti 3 season uq with reflective liner, and a Neoair mattress under a Speer Winter Tarp. I started out wearing Polar Max fleece long underwear, wool socks, fleece balaclava, fleece gloves, fleece neck gaiter, JRB down hood and used a Go Lite Ultra 20 tq. I was toasty with this configuration Sunday night but I woke a little cool at around 3:30 this morning and wrapped my feet in a Puffball vest and put on a Marmot Dri Clime and went back to sleep.

With the lows expected to be in the teens for the rest of the week I'm going to try another set-up. It is supposed to go as low as 12º Thursday night and I am going to try the Yeti uq in combination with a JRB Stealth summer uq and eliminate the neoair. I am also going to supplement the Go Lite Ultra 20 with a Go Lite down jacket.

I am very cold natured and have been reluctant to try winter hanging but it appears that I can keep myself warm. The Thursday night test has the possibility of including rain, ice and snow. That will be a real test for me.
    Hey there Southmark,
    Cool to see you were doing the same as me, over here in north MS(Tupelo). Temps very similar, and set ups with several similarities. For one, the Golight quilt. I stayed warm, actually I think plenty warm, it was 18 when I went in. I think I would have been alright for a couple of more hours even though the temp dropped a few more degrees.

Here were some difs: JRB BMBH, MW4UQ, separate Marmot GTX hood(2.5 or 3" of loft), light puffy clothing(thin layer of Polarguard) and Polarguard booties. No tarp, but under the roof on my patio/back porch.

I had a down vest and torso length pad( for either leg pad or "emergency" rescue in pad pocket under torso). I planned to use the pad for luxury leg warmth, but wanted to try without it first. I never saw any need to add it or the vest.

It is worth noting that on last years Feb Sipsey trip, I had pretty much this same system. But no booties. At 10* warmer and snowing, about 2 or 3 AM I woke to answer nature's call and noticed I was on the verge of being cool on top. But I did not have the hood on, and that is all I had to add, except a leg/sit pad. Anyway, I put the hood on over my fleece hat and jacket hood, and was toasty the rest of the night. So, as it was already 19 or 20 when I went to bed last night, I started with the hood and booties. That is all that was dif from the ~27F Sipsey trip, but I was warm enough even at significantly colder temps. Lot's more testing opportunities available for the rest of this week. If my wife or neighbors don't call the mental health authorities on me.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks BillyBob. It's very rare that we deep Southerners get to show our neighbors just how crazy we are. I am going to try it again tonight as the low is forcast to be 15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast