Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Wet gear - sleeping in fog, damp, etc.

A couple nights ago I probably slept where I shouldn't have...near a creek in a deep valley. The weather was damp as well:

- Foggy
    - No wind
    - Humid
    - 40° low (64 daytime, I'm guessing 50-40° throughout most of the night sleeping)
    - I may have hung the tarp unusually low expecting rain (but it didn't rain)

I woke up around 3am and felt my UQ and TQ covered in dew or whatever we call it in this case. I was careful not to move around the rest of the night and soak up the water, but it sure had me worried.

Then once up, I noticed the bottom part of my TQ footbox was soaked in some spots. The hammock was also damp on the areas beyond the UQ. I guess my heat being pumped out of my UQ into the cool hammock? I've seen this before, but never to this extent. I was basically sleeping in a cloud.

It was my last night, so no big deal. I've never had a problem in 5 years, but if this happens again on the first night, what do you do? Hope for a dry day to hang and dry? Hope damp gear gets you by another night?

Here's the foot end of the hammock just beyond the UQ and just at the end of my TQ

Bottom view

Bottom of TQ sucking up water. You can see the wet hammock again in the background.

Head end of hammock...WOW check that out!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I feel you...two weekends ago, we had daytime high of near 70, and overnight of 48, and I am still relatively new to primitive camping.

I set up my tarp along the river we were camping (on fairly high ground though) and expected no rain at all, so I pitched my tarp off to one side only leaving the hammock exposed...

It got all super dewy before sleep, and my hammock was coated in dew...luckily the net was zipped and the inside of the hammock stayed dry...but the tarp was dew covered inside and out...and then I pitched it too low, and getting up in the middle of the night to take a pee, I touched the wet tarp on bare skin, brrrr, lol....

It made me more paranoid, but slept well despite this all and stayed dry...but I have more lessons to learn as well about such conditions it seems.

My other buddy had his tarp pitched proper in the afternoon and dew only got on the tarp, not hammock,....dew stayed on the wooki all night and only dried off the next morning by about 10am.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    When hanging in or near 100% humidity this is what happens. For me the few times it's happened I've had to plan to get to my next camp site with enough time to hang my quilts on the hammock suspension to dry. If this happens all day on a multi-day trip your gear simply gets wet. The worse case is if it really cools down one night with wet gear. That happened to me one time and it was miserable.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Looks like you'd be interested in an underquilt protector. I live in the Gulf south where it's usually very humid. I feel your pain with the humidity and condensation.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammockaccessories.html

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    No fun! Well I guess I've just been lucky. I only remember this happening a couple other times thankfully.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    No fun! Well I guess I've just been lucky. I only remember this happening a couple other times thankfully.
    Yes, if this happened a lot I would quit as I hate, hate, hate being wet. Did I say I hate being wet and cold. Thankfully it only happens here a few times in the Winter and Spring and it's easy enough to spot on the forecast so I can avoid it like the plague.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    I wonder if something like this would help as a barrier used on the outside of the TQ combined with an UQP for the UQ. Curious if the TQ and hammock would still get wet. I haven't experienced these conditions, so I may be off base.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/quilt-liner.html

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzz View Post
    I wonder if something like this would help as a barrier used on the outside of the TQ combined with an UQP for the UQ. Curious if the TQ and hammock would still get wet. I haven't experienced these conditions, so I may be off base.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/quilt-liner.html
    That actually came to mind as I was hiking out. Maybe wet between that liner and the TQ? Seems like there would still be the temperature difference. I dunno...crazy weather stuff.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I was trying to figure out the same indications you have (wet foot end in high humidity during cold weather) and I offered this as something to think about:
    Fog is 100% humidity or the air is saturated at the outside temp (you are at dew Point).
    A Hammock with integrated bugnet (what I tested) or maybe a tarp hung close to hammock creates a warmer micro climate (you being the heater and breathing adding humidity). Warm air holds/absorbs more humidity.

I placed thermometers at the head end, middle, and foot end of the ridgeline and found the foot end was 10F colder than the head end/middle. This 10F colder dropped the inside temp below the inside dew point thus the damp footend from condensation. I've seen this several times in cold damp weather.

When I use a sock (see link) that keeps my breathing outside I do not see the foot end dampness.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438

Might explain what you experienced.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 01-23-2017 at 16:40.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

At Grayson Highlands "Winter" hang this week. A cloud came through Saturday night and stayed around most of the night. Everything I had got wet UQ TQ hammock all wet--I slept warm and dry. I'm drying my gear at home now. I do not know if an underquilt protecter and ridgeline Overcover would help prevent the cloud's moisture from entering--I doubt it--but it might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 01-23-2017 at 13:38.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast