Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps

Cool Vermonter in Coastal GA

Hey all,

I was tipped off to this site through the Sintax77 YouTube channel. I grew up in Vermont, so am predisposed to outdoorsy things, but eventually found my way to Coastal GA (Savannah) where it's too hot to be alive 6 months of the year. Needless to say I have sadly become a flatlander by this point, but my life has settled down to the point where I am no longer working outdoors, and I have some time and resources that I can devote to getting back outside in a way that I choose. I've been lightly backpacking with a tent for the last year.

Further complicating matters, I discovered after a frustrating trip to the Panthertown Valley in NC last spring, that I have neuroma in both feet. Trying to deal with it in several different ways, but I don't think I'm past a 5mi/day level at this point, just because of the nerve pain in my feet. Work in progress. If anyone else here deals with Neuroma I'd love to chat!

Now, the hammock part. I have some wonderful neighbors who met through-hiking the AT. They hammock camp, and it seemed like a great think to do to take weight out of the pack, with potential to be much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. So off I went and bought an ENO single-nest and some straps and set it up. I was pretty sure there was more comfort level to be achieved after that-- obviously I did the banana thing and had no idea you were meant to lie flat.

Searched around on YouTube and learned some basic knots, and created a structural ridgeline for my ENO Singlenest. I think I've mastered the mostly flat lay in it, but even at 5'3" I think it is a bit too narrow. I've now ordered a wider one, but this was before I was aware of dutchware or any of these other actually wide hammocks.

Intended last weekend to go on a quick trip to the Palmetto Trail in Awendaw, SC to hike in and camp with both hammock and tent, with the intent of sleeping in the hammock. Unfortunately the weather was awful to the point of danger so I was forced to postpone. Now I'm going to run into some nights close to freezing and I don't have the kit for that, unfortunately. So I'm not sure exactly when I'll get out to try and really pop the hammock cherry, as it were. Hopefully soon!

Looking forward to learning from the experts here. I have several friends I will be hiking and camping with this year, and I'm sure the knowledge here will help us be much more prepared! Thanks for staying awesome

-Alys in Savannah
    Last edited by laracrofty; 01-23-2017 at 10:30.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums Alys in Savannah It's not always about the miles but more the journey and the fun of being outdoors. Trust me and do not push it too far which can cause you to not want to return. It's easy to over do if you aren't aware. Take your time and have fun. Let us know if you have any specific questions and check out the posts on the forums about insulation so you can get out and enjoy that hammock. Also check out Shugs videos here as this is an excellent way to learn from a veteran.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA. Sorry to hear about your feet, and I hope that you can find some effective treatment or relief of some kind. Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Thanks for the welcome! I went to Cloudland Canyon last summer, not too far from Marietta. Didn't make it all the way around the canyon due to my feet, but I was by myself so luckily there was no one to judge me.

I have had one round of cortisone injections, which helped some. Of course access to medical treatment is only going to get tougher here in the near future, so I'm trying to wear Correct Toes (toe spreaders), and have found a brand of appropriate footwear. It's going to be an ongoing process I have a feeling. So far the best shoes are from LEMS. Hoping to get a second pair soon since I live in my one pair of their Boulder Boots.

Hoping to make it back to Cloudland again this year with some friends

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas! Hopefully you'll get the feet figured out soon! Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    Welcome from Colorado!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Howdy from Texas
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

• + New Posts