Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Glad you were ok. It was crazy windy here in Texas this weekend. I saw a metal mast my local ham radio club used for an antenna sheer off (it was 12 stories up) but still must have been windy up there.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Mana Outdoors dbl. 10.8ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Outdoors
    Insulation
    UGQ(10* UQ,30* TQ)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    Glad you were ok. It was crazy windy here in Texas this weekend. I saw a metal mast my local ham radio club used for an antenna sheer off (it was 12 stories up) but still must have been windy up there.
    Thanks, and to everybody. Yeah, it was windy as heck!

Shug, when I was reading the replies last nigh, I was listening to a podcast on HYOH. YOU were the interviewee! LoL I thought it a funny coincidence.

Look before you hook. It rolls nicely Maybe that should be embroidered along all straps/huggers on both sides! LOL

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    This ain't no joke. I was climbing out at Enchanted Rock over the weekend and it was essentially as windy as a tropical storm out there. I'm sure alot of the widowmakers that are all over the park probably fell. It's hard to find a good spot to hang there.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    This ain't no joke.
    You got that right. A friend of mine was killed a few years back while he was collecting firewood in the woods behind his house. Apparently a large limb broke off of a pine tree that he was standing under and hit him in the head, killing him instantly. His name was John, and he was a fine bluegrass guitar player and singer.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    Sorry about your friend John, BanjoPicker.

Here in the Piney Woods of East Texas, it's not terribly uncommon to read of a falling tree impaling or crushing someone traveling in a car during a storm.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    Good thread. Here's a question: what about November hangs when the leaves are gone? Any tips on spotting danger trees?
    I use a few signs. Bark that is sloughing off or cracking, branches that are broken off at the tip, tips of branches on the ground around the tree, stains running down the trunk where sap has run out and dried. Around me, all of the ash have died from the ash borer. I can recognize the bark, and avoid them all. For these ash, there are also often 'volunteers' right next to the trunk that are easy to spot in low light.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    We have big, strong trees here, but in the winter, those branches can load up with snow. I'm not so much worried about branches coming down as I am a ... bunch load of snow. So in the winter I look for trees a little further apart than usual. That usually means I have to dig out snow between them to get a good hang angle.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Much of my camping is done here locally on privately owned property.I have had to change spots because of numerous dead trees and also "blowovers" where a live tree gives it up for seemingly no good reason and just falls over.It does not take much of a limb to kill you as I watched a small limb go thru the roof of my house and bust on thru into the living space once on a Friday the 13th,not that the date mattered but I quit having work done like that on Fridays.....

Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    always changing...
    I was in Charleston, SC, this year during Hurricane Matthew. There was little rhyme or reason as to which trees went down and which didn't. I at least never could have called it. Same with all the branches that came down. Healthy ones down, dead ones still up. Glad you didn't get hurt. Sometimes you just have to follow your gut feelings.

Hammock
    11&quot; 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We just went through a very severe drought this fall and many pines died because of that and one that I like to hang from In my yard was one of the unlucky ones. Once the trees bud out will see the damage to the deciduous trees. I think it is going to be bad as many were wilted very bad before the leaves changed. I will have to be careful for all of the falling trees and limbs for years to come. Almost all of the small sapling pines that did not have very deep roots died 6 ft and smaller are dead. Very sad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast