Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Last night I cobbled together a hammock sock based on Just Jeff's instructions. Insultex faces the bottom and sides, loosely following the lines of a traditional fishing dory.

I made the bottom piece 3.5' long, and included a six inch wide tail from the bottom piece almost to the foot end. The head end was left open from the bottom piece to the end. I put IX insulation on the bottom and the sides. I used the Speer Bugnet Adjustable Nonstructural Ridgeline.

Results: the foot end was never cold, but the wind got into the head end and opened it up.

Change: I'm going to make the head end just like the foot end, and create an opening in the middle, similar to what I remember Fin had on his sock a year ago.
    I remember seeing this at the Uwharrie hang!! I am so jealous of the digi camo sock!! As soon as tax time is over and I can spend money again, I am going to get some of that material. I actually lucked up and got about 22 yards of OD ripstop at a WM fabric dept going out of business sale for 10$!!

I am making my next sock out of it, but will secretly be thinking of that DC sock!! Good work. BTW sell that airhead yet?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    ...sell that airhead yet?
    Not gonna... lookin' for a $1,000 KLR with low mileage instead! That way my son can learn to ride with me.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    The Insulated Hammock Sock worked so well last weekend, I'm going to use it at Mt Rogers with an IX UQ. I'm going to raise the insulated portion just a bit, and lengthen the overhang. The dory shape fits the hammock very well.

...thinking about offering a Molly Mac IX Hammock Sock, with one, two or three layers of IX.
    Mac,

What was the weight of the first IX hammock sock you tested and what would it be with one layer IX in a Molly Mac HS??? - the same???
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    What was the weight of the first IX hammock sock you tested...?
    The only one that exists is the first one... it weighs 18 oz.
    what would it be with one layer IX in a Molly Mac HS??? - the same???
    Yes. There are some things I want to change, but they would not add weight.

I want to raise the 'sheer', so to speak, so that the insulation is slightly higher approaching the ends, the better to cover the low shoulder. That only requires a small increase in the IX and won't add much weight. It will be offset by using lighter grosgrain binding. (I didn't have any when I made the sock, so I used nylon webbing.)

The Molly Mac Hammock Sock would also have a slightly longer overlap in the SEEP (Side Entry/Exit Portal), and eliminate the pockets. (No pockets would mean no additional weight.) The SEEP works very well with nothing in the pockets!

The adjustable ridge line I use right now is a Whoopie sling, which cannot be adjusted under load. You have to be able to adjust the ridgeline while you are inside the hammock, so you can put the insulation under you at just the right height. I'll try a UCR.

I probably should raise the top just a few inches, so there is more volume above the hammock, inside the sock. Right now it is pretty low, allowing maybe 12" to 18" in the middle. To raise the top, I would have to lower the insulation and widen the bottom, to keep all else the same. Perhaps two versions? (Or one sock, with a removable top in two different sizes?)

Lastly, I have to figure out a way to vent the sock, so the SEEP can remain closed, while moisture can escape. I'm thinking of two methods. One would be vertical slits near the ends of the SEEP, with velcro closures on the edges to hold it closed, and velcro tabs to hold it open. The other method would be a horizontal slit offset from the ridgeline, above the ends of the SEEP; that would tend to hold itself open, allow cool air to fall in from the top, and allow warm air to rise up and out.

Thanks for asking! Would you like to be the first to get one?

- MacEntyre

P.S. I am beginning to think that one layer of IX is just right. More insulation should be added with an UQ.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks for info. Might want one but not just yet.
    I ordered 3 different digital camo ripstop materials and am waiting on those to decide what I want to do as far as making a sock or making a 2 part system with a drape-over overcover and a single IX pad that can fit underneath my UQ. I think the 2 part might give me a little more flexibility to add and/or drop pieces when I am doing longer hikes (weight being the main issue with that).

Agree that venting the top is a problem. Was hoping that combination of HH bugnet and a breathable ripstop sewn to the IX in the overcover might handle that without any extra slits/holes/etc. If I use the IX is on the inside of the overcover, do you think it might become part of or contribute to the moisture problem?
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If I use the IX is on the inside of the overcover...
    Don't do it! IX is perforated, and therefore breathable, but it is hard to prove it. IX is effectively a vapor barrier.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Don't do it! IX is perforated, and therefore breathable, but it is hard to prove it. IX is effectively a vapor barrier.
    Understood.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    That's what I've felt about it as well. The company that puts it out says it is microperforated. It's also sewn through where the scrim is attached (which I hope is not what they consider the microperforations...). I can't breath through the IX itself.

If you try to blow through it w/the scrim on it, you can, moderately easy. If you peel that back and try to blow through just the IX - I cannot. My hypothesis is that your breath is escaping out the sides through the scrim.

Effectively a vapor barrier, if not a complete one.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    One thing that amazed me this past weekend was that the condensation on the inside of the roof of my hammock sock did not freeze until I vented the sock... cold air then came in and froze the droplets. That means the inside of the sock was above freezing when the outside temps were about 20*F!

The untreated nylon sock provided a 15 to 20 degree temperature difference.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    [QUOTE=MacEntyre;203507] Would you like to be the first to get one?

QUOTE]

I might be interested in being one of the first... As much as I want to make them myself, I find Im a visual learner and do better if I have something in my hands to compare it with when making one. I can buy one and make another for my wife!

I was really, really, tempted last week to christen my new KAQ w/ insultex and 3 season black mamba outside in my BB. BUT, lows were below zero, had a good snowfall, and I only have a 3 season set up. Figured it would be stupid to try that right now! But if I had a sock, I can more easily supplement the quilts and give it a shot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast