Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Has anybody tried to do a differential cut on a double layer hammock so the bottom layer hangs slightly down from the top layer. I'm wondering if this would allow you to place multiple layers of IX loosely layed onto the bottom of layer of the hammock to prevent squeezing the multiple layers (depending on the outside temp) of IX together.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildernessquest1 View Post
    Has anybody tried to do a differential cut on a double layer hammock so the bottom layer hangs slightly down from the top layer. I'm wondering if this would allow you to place multiple layers of IX loosely layed onto the bottom of layer of the hammock to prevent squeezing the multiple layers (depending on the outside temp) of IX together.
    That would work.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Yes to differential hammock IX sandwich

Yes, I,ve done it, TeeDee has too, probably others. Note: this pertains to bridge style hammocks. Read this post In the second post from the bottom, TeeDee gives his formula. I did a hack in the bottom layer. I deepened the arcs and it was effective in giving enough sag to eliminate nearly all compression. If I had started with the differential suggested, the results would have been even better.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Would a loose fit with IX would be better than squishing 2 or 3 layers between a typical DL hammock? I may just be easier to make a full lenth UQ with the IX using darts to form to the shape of the hammock....then place single layers of IX in that. So many ideas and so little IX!

Mac i evy your stash of IX for prototyping different ideas

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...may just be easier to make a full lenth UQ with the IX using darts to form to the shape of the hammock....then place single layers of IX in that.
    Been making those for two months now!

Mac i evy your stash of IX for prototyping different ideas
    Prototyping is done!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    One thing that needs to be factored in is fabric stretch. Just need to make sure the layer you're laying on won't stretch to meet up with the unstretched bottom layer. Might need some fine tuning. Maybe safety pin the bottom layer on first to test how much extra you will realistically need.

But yes - it should work great. I've had plans drawn up for just this design sitting on my shelf for a few months now. Haven't tried it out yet though.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    One thing that needs to be factored in is fabric stretch. Just need to make sure the layer you're laying on won't stretch to meet up with the unstretched bottom layer. Might need some fine tuning. Maybe safety pin the bottom layer on first to test how much extra you will realistically need.

But yes - it should work great. I've had plans drawn up for just this design sitting on my shelf for a few months now. Haven't tried it out yet though.
    The stretch is why i think i'm going to pass on this idea. I've already hemmed 22' of 60" fabric and after playing around with how much i'd need to lose on the top layer i think i'm going to just make a traditional DL and make an UQ. Maybe if i can find some uncoated WM fabric i'll give it a try but the 1.1 digital camo i got was $5/yard and i'm not willing to test it on that!

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011