Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suggested catenary edge depth...

I'm going to make make my own rather large trap for Winter camping (and probably as a dinner fly for non-hammock family/group trips). Similar to JRB's 11'x10' Cat Tarp and/or Speer's WinterTarp. I've made another large silnylon shelter (2# 3.5 person tarptent), so I don't have any major concerns about the project, except for this one...

I'm trying to determine how much of a difference having shallow catenary edges helps over simple straight edges. I own a Catenary tarp (only the ridgeline is catenary) and it is obvious that it helps to make an easy setup, but I'm not sure about edges. Any thoughts? "Everyone is doing it, so it must be good" is the obvious response, but I was looking for more.

One particular question I have about both JRB's and Speer's winter tarps, is that the edge with the catenary curves becomes the "doors" when setup in "winter mode". Yet, due to the curve, the "doors" don't close completely, so why have the catenary curve if that is going to be my primary configuration? I can sort of see how it helps reduce edge flapping in configuration in which the catenary edge is parallel to the ridge-line, but I see it more as a defect in the "winter mode".

That said, if I were to make catenary edges using the various spreadsheets floating around the 'net, how do I determine what is "the best" depth for those curves over a given length? Is there a "rule" like "make the depth 5% of the length"?

And while I'm probably not willing to spend the money, anyone have a source for Spinn fabric?
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Might look at Backwoods Daydreamer's Winter Dream v.2 as it has been amended over v.1 having straight cuts on the short ends to allow for a complete enclosure.

stumo

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Okay I'll say something.. I hate it when you (the Poster) get left out there and no one replies. been there, done that..

1. Your tarptent looks great, a little close to the ground But it is a work of art!

2. I thought the same thing making my tarp. Cat cuts look cool, but you do loose some multifunction. So, I did a big 8x11 rectangle, no cuts or curves. Added a few extra webbing loops for tie outs, and then have a functional set of doors. And I didn't have to do the math.. y over (X x n+r) over~=

Is your tarptent functional with the hammock? big enough? can it be modified to work? I would just carry that, if it is workable.

Or try a big rectangle and if you get the itch, cut some cats into the sides later. my 2 cents.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    And while I'm probably not willing to spend the money, anyone have a source for Spinn fabric?
    The only place I know of is thru-hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by stumo View Post
    Might look at Backwoods Daydreamer's Winter Dream v.2 as it has been amended over v.1 having straight cuts on the short ends to allow for a complete enclosure.
    I saw that after reading an unrelated posts. Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Okay I'll say something.. I hate it when you (the Poster) get left out there and no one replies. been there, done that..
    It has only been a couple of hours, I wasn't going to start crying yet.
    1. Your tarptent looks great, a little close to the ground But it is a work of art!
    Thanks. I had a bit of fun making it a few years ago. It is not perfect and I had to make changes to the floor after its first trip (not sure how I made the mistake I did), but it has spent a dozen nights out in the back-country protecting myself and my children. Sometimes through quite a bit of rain.
    2. I thought the same thing making my tarp. Cat cuts look cool, but you do loose some multifunction. So, I did a big 8x11 rectangle, no cuts or curves.
    Have your setup your tarp in a "winter mode" yet?
    Is your tarptent functional with the hammock? big enough? can it be modified to work?
    It is probably long enough, but it has a sewn-in floor and netting which make it a bit difficult to use with a hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    The only place I know of is thru-hiker.
    Thanks.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    hmmm. extend bug netting and leave the floor in a removable fashion?? A screenhouse for your hammock.

gargoyles hammock 050.JPG
    Yes, It closes down nicer than this, actually closes. It was gusty the day I took this shot.
    gargoyles hammock 051.JPG
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Required reading:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=chain

Check out Hgn8r's method.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Hgn8r's method will work fine if you want quick method for making curves. If you want to get anal scientific about your cat curves take a look at this thread or just go to this page and download the Excel file that will give you curves based off of dimensions.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I have the spreadsheet, and it is stupid easy to use, but I'm still not sure about a suggested "depth" for a given width.

Edit: One of the above threads "suggests" 1" per foot. That seems a bit too much. And looking at the photos of the JRB and Speer tarps, it certainly doesn't look like they are using that "suggestion", but it is hard to tell for sure when looking at the photos.
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 01-06-2010 at 12:06.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The thread I linked also points out that after you do all of your calculations, the errors inherent in measuring, marking, cutting, sewing, and staking, once compounded, will give you a lovely curve.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast