Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    I gave up on my modification, I'm either not going to have a hammock to camp in or I'm going to have to figure out what kind of hammock I need to sleep on my side and where to get one that I can sleep in. Or I'm going back to tent and tarp camping. I love hammock, but everything I tried didn't work, so I guess a hammock just isn't for me. My grandson will enjoy my ENO SN when we go camping. He's really enjoying or trips and over night trips.

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    I gave up on my modification, I'm either not going to have a hammock to camp in or I'm going to have to figure out what kind of hammock I need to sleep on my side and where to get one that I can sleep in. Or I'm going back to tent and tarp camping. I love hammock, but everything I tried didn't work, so I guess a hammock just isn't for me. My grandson will enjoy my ENO SN when we go camping. He's really enjoying or trips and over night trips.
    try a bridge hammock
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I side sleep in my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. Several people say they side sleep and even sleep in their stomachs in an Asymmetrical hammock. I think the Warbonnet Blackbird is asym as well. They're priced good too.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    don't give up muddog, try a HH, or another asym. Might make the difference for you. What is the weight of a bridge hammock? Just the name makes me not want to hike with one.

Back to the bug net mod, what is the best material to use? I have some organza (I think, bought it a while ago) that I cut to drape over the RL and hang just over the edge of the hammock. I think it is heavier than others, and I want to go as light as possible. It is not attached yet, but thinking about sewing it to one side. Last time I just clipped it to the side of the eno with some clothes pins.
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

I gave up on my modification, but not the idea, the HH's are out of my price range, I went and bought at the advise of other's on this forum an ENO Double Nest and have slept extreamly well in it for most of the night with no pain. The only reason I came in was because of a cool breeze that I wasn't ready for and mother nature, (bathroom, num. 2, LOL) woke me up. I think I can use this hammock. My local Gander Mountain has these hammocks for $59.99, a lot cheaper than a HH or the Blackbird. I might grab my other warmer blanket/tarp and go back out and see if I can't go back to sleep. If I decide to keep this hammock I need to figure out how to modify my warmer blanket/tarps to make the thing warmer to sleep in, it's 66 degrees tonight with a 7 mph breeze, where I live so it's not to bad outside.
    Last edited by muddog15; 03-27-2011 at 00:03.

I slept pretty good in my new ENO DN, I think I might be able to use this hammock. I've got a couple of ideas to use my warmer blanket tarp for an underquilt type of set up to keep wind and some rain out. I'm thinking if it's a cool/cold night I'll either hook up one of the blanket/tarp on the tie outs or tie a ridge line, I might want a ridgeline anyway for the rain tarp. I'm going to go out side again this next weekend a sleep in it again. Now I wan't to learn how to set up my hammock as a bivy, can anybody point me in the right direction for some info? Thanks, everybody.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have an ENO SN that I removed the carabiners and just attached my whoopies to the stock rope. I just got a DN, the first thing I did, before removing the tags even, was remove the carabiners. I see that some are removing the stock rope and using whoopies. So how are you attaching the whoopies? Can I make a whoopie with a locked brummel with a little larger loop in the end, then feed it through the channel, then put the end of the whoopie into the loop, I guess making a larkshead. Would that work without any harm to the hammock fabric?
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

I think I finally got an underquilt for my new ENO DN. I used my warmers space blanket and a separate ridge line to clip the grommets to and a prusik knot loop off of the ridge line, it worked pretty good but it wasn't that cold last night where I live. So I'll have to test it again next fall or winter.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I modified my ENO DN by getting rid of the HEAVY biners & slapstraps, and added whoopie slings, polyester tree huggers, and an adjustable ridgeline.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    DIY cat hex
    Suspension
    MSH/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I see that some are removing the stock rope and using whoopies. So how are you attaching the whoopies? Can I make a whoopie with a locked brummel with a little larger loop in the end, then feed it through the channel, then put the end of the whoopie into the loop, I guess making a larkshead. Would that work without any harm to the hammock fabric?
    Yesterday I removed the stock rope/carabiner from my ENO SN and ran my whoopie slings straight through the end channels (two passes through). I laid in it for a while and it doesn't seem to cause any harm to the fabric, but it does seem like it's an awfully narrow load point on the fabric! What I might do just to make myself feel better about it is take a short length of plastic tubing or small-diameter hose to use as a sleeve. That way, when the whoopie slings tighten up on the end fabric and it's carrying the load, there's more of a bearing surface. The weight penalty should be very minimal and I'll rest easier with that little bit of safeguard.

And since we're on the subject, I need some help figuring out how to connect my structural ridgeline (it's an adjustable whoopie sling ridgeline) to the ends of my hammock when my whoopie slings are connected this way.

For lack of any better idea, all I did last night was use the original ENO carabiners through the whoopie sling loops at the ends of my hammock. Here it is before I laid in it:

Once I got in, the carabiners pulled themselves in-line with the ridgeline. But I do not like this. I want to dump those silly carabiners and find a solution that looks a little less goofy. What is everyone else doing?

I thought about just doing a larks-head on the fixed end of my SRL, straight around the double whoopie sling loop at the gather. And then using a small carabiner at the adjustable end, pretty much like I've shown above. I figured the carabiner would allow some adjustment of the SRL length without any friction. But is this really necessary? Or can I have my adjustable SRL end loop right around the double whoopie sling loop too?

I want to avoid having to whip the ends of my hammock and use the whipping for my ridgeline connection point. Is there another option to gracefully attach the structural ridgeline to the whoopie sling loop at the hammock gathers?

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast