Thread: swinging low

Hammock
    Hammock bliss triple
    Insulation
    pad/diy UQ
    Suspension
    DIY webbing

swinging low

Hi guys, I just got a hammock bliss for Christmas. I love to hike and explore and really like the idea of a hammock. My biggest fear is that being a big boy (330lbs) that its going to be hard finding tough enough equipment. I found the hammock but need some ideas on suspension systems, tarps and quilts. lucky for me Jacks are better are only 10 miles away. any feed back welcome.

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Welcome to the forum! This is a kind and welcoming place here, and the member are super knowledgeable.

I don't doubt for a second that between searching the forum here and asking questions to the other members here that you will find the answers and ideas your looking for!
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    There's a few of us with a little extra girth ... and some like me working to get that under control. Lots of good information ... so spend a bit of time reading through the forums and asking questions ... don't feel timid to ask anything. Seriously most everyone here is eager to help. Good family friendly bunch of folks. OK OK some of us "ain't right" but we're friendly!

Welcome on board and I bet those Jacks boys will be great fun to chat with and help you out a lot. Like most of the cottage industry guys on this site ... good service, good products and good people.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    330, me too. I was worried about suspensions when I started out. Good webbing, 1" polypro for the tree strap. Hanging right now on Opie's dynaglide (group buy) whoopie slings. Hung on mule tape ( a thin webbing, used by the communications company, google it). 1800# pulling strength. Kind of heavy and bulky compared to amsteel or dyna, but tuff stuff.

I don't jump into the hammock or sit down hard. Gentle is the key. Well, as gentle as I can get at least.

I've tried a lot of different lines, 3/8 poly braid, paracord, hvy. masons line, 3/16 poly braid etc., lots of things can work. The small new tech lines are really strong and light. Amsteel and NER make excellent, pricey rope.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Hi colganwilson - welcome to the forum

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I don't jump into the hammock or sit down hard. Gentle is the key. Well, as gentle as I can get at least.
    Chicken! Don't be a'scared.

Actually, I used to be very careful too and a hundred pounds lighter, so I'm just joshin you. But, it really is surprising the forces these rigs we use can take. Genuine Draft and I have done our fair share of 'dynamic load testing' in all kinds of hammocks. Nothing broken, on us or the rigs. The funny part is that we've fallen twice when sleeping double. Once was a catastrophic ring failure (welded rings=bad) and the other time was failure to tie a back-up knot. In both cases we were dead asleep and not moving. So place your bet and wait for the little ball to stop spinning and land in a numbered slot. Having a hammock set-up fail seems to carry about the same odds IMO.

Welcome to the Forum colganwilson! There are many worse things than living 10 miles from the Jacks. Me thinks they can probably get you nice and set-up.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hammock bliss triple
    Insulation
    pad/diy UQ
    Suspension
    DIY webbing
    thanks for the replies. this site is great!!! i think i am going to use a webbing susp. system and DIY UQ (dismembered sleeping bag). There are so many options on a tarp i think i am going to bite the bullet and buy one. I liked the "tent" style tarps that wrap down around the hammock. Any suggestions on a brand.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Hi and welcome to HF!

So many of the webbings and ropes and fabrics out there are pretty tough these days! When it comes to suspension webbing and rope, when you're looking to buy, they will often state the numbers for the weight limits.

As far as tarps go, there are a bunch of members here who make them. I'd suggest you have a look in the tarp section of the forum to see the comments, and look at the makers websites. You'll get TONS of recommendations here, but sometimes it's helpful for you to see some photos and see what might suit your particular prefs and needs.

Have fun getting rigged up, and don't be surprised if it ends up being a 'process' !

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colganwilson View Post
    I liked the "tent" style tarps that wrap down around the hammock. Any suggestions on a brand.
    IMO the Warbonnet SuperFly is the best winter tarp ("tent" style) going. But, Perkolady is correct. There are some very good winter tarps out there; Speer Winter Tarp, Jacks 11x10 can be made to work, as well as the large OES MacCats. I'm a fan of winter tarps and use them a lot. Let me know if you've got any specific questions or concerns and I'll be glad to offer my thoughts.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Welcome, ColganWilson! I recently made a set of composite tree huggers for a weighty HF member who thought the trees were suffering from his 1" huggers. I stitched together a lightweight 2" nylon webbing with a 2" polypropylene webbing, and made eyes in the ends. He hasn't hit the ground yet...

Be safe, and Thank You for your work!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts