ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Getting back out there!

Since we purchased our home in August and then a major car accident, I have only managed to get out once (twice if you count my gear testing on the backside of the property). That is changing this weekend!

This will be my third out and back solo trip! I am coming to love my dark nights alone, save the Good Lord and my faithful pup, sitting by a fire in the woods. It is so blissfully calming and has a peacefulness that penetrates the soul. I need the unplugged time to breathe and feel nature surround me. I have decided to schedule these trips with just as much seriousness as I would a business meeting-that is my biggest goal of 2017.

I am in the process of getting my gear together and ready. I will be completely honest, I was tempted to take my old "I'm a high school student and broke" tent this trip just for the sake of being able to laze around on my belly and draw but, looking at the temps (30ish), I am much more confident in my hammocking abilities. I have become a lot more accustomed to site selection and set up with my hammock than I have a tent. We shall see. I will post a pic of my cold weather setup and a list of what all that entails hopefully tonight or tomorrow night. My hubby got me a great camera with wifi for camping so thanks to the app, I will be able to keep you guys posted as I go!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hopefully you are OK after the accident. We await your trip report(s) and good luck getting back into the grove.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Hopefully you are OK after the accident. We await your trip report(s) and good luck getting back into the grove.
    Thanks! I was just moving a little slow there for a while.

We seem to stomp around a lot of the same trails!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKD View Post
    Thanks! I was just moving a little slow there for a while.

We seem to stomp around a lot of the same trails!
    What trails do you frequent? I'm heading to the Sipsey tomorrow for an overnighter. Hopefully it won't be a mud feast.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    What trails do you frequent? I'm heading to the Sipsey tomorrow for an overnighter. Hopefully it won't be a mud feast.
    I spend a good bit of time in sipsey and around the pinhoti when backpacking. When I have the horses, I either go south to FLA or north to the Smokies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKD View Post
    I spend a good bit of time in sipsey and around the pinhoti when backpacking. When I have the horses, I either go south to FLA or north to the Smokies.

Ah cool. The Sipsey has a lot of horse trails as well. Maybe we'll run into one another on the trail one day.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Much to my dismay, this trip may end with a night in the tent. Temps are dropping lower and while I am determined to get out there, I want to be able to bring my dogs in. My pack weight is low regardless so for the short two miles in that I am doing, I am going to bring both the tent and the hammock. My sleep system in the hammock is also my ground sleep system so I am not going to be carrying much different of a load. My hammock fits in my pack's brain so its no biggie to bring both.

I'm kinda bummed but when I gear tested to 23 degrees with my hammock, I had a fire built and a small wall radiating the heat back towards my tarp and with the amount of rain we have gotten in the past two weeks, I don't see dry fire wood happening and being solo, I don't want to push my luck. Worst case scenario, my hammock provides an awesome camp chair and I sleep cuddled with two dogs under my quilt with me in the tent.

I know this is a hammock forum but, isn't the transition between tent and hammock part of the journey? I don't want to be breaking any rules by changing the planning of this trip from a hammock trip to a trip where either option is available. I know that my safety and warmth comes first and until I can afford to get better underquilts and things, I'm going to have to be flexible with myself and savor the out doors experience rather than focus on the fact that I did not further my skills with the hammock.

Most of my hammock trips have been in the summer or in the winter, other than one gear test, in my horse trailer where I can turn the heat on.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Weeeellll I'm out here in my hammock!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    It's a beautiful night! Enjoy!
    Charlotte

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Get you a good top and bottom quilt and be done with it. That tent thing will make you want to quit hiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast