Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Hanging in the White Mountain National Forest

I recently spent about a week backpacking in the White Mountation National Forest, with sons Quantum Cat, and Hebrephrentic Lab Hamster. We all carried HH Explorers, Potomac underquilts, and MacCat Deluxe tarps. We hiked from a trail head at the south end of Franconia Notch, north through river trails to connect to the AT, then east to summit Mt. Washington, and back.

For the most part the vegetation is quite dense and every night we needed to explore a bit to find trees far enough apart to hang. Here we're hanging all nicely in a row, the only time we found pairs of suitable trees that close.

A couple of nights the trees I found were not far enough part to make the ridgeline taut. To tighten it up and so get the netting out of my face I had to make do with materials at hand. I use an old contact lens case to carry vitimin Advil, and wrapping the ridgeline around it a couple of times tightened things up nicely. The caps on these were enough to keep the whole thing from unraveling.

Along the river paths and up near ponds the bugs were intense. Intense. We'd hang the bags, cook the meal, and retreat to the security of the HH enclosure. Temps ran to 40s at night. We were snug with the Potomacs below, and kept dry from the evening showers under the MacCats. I found I liked to put my Thermarest seat under my posterior. Helped to level things out a little.

The closer we got to Mt. Washington the harder it was to find a place to hang. Some imagination was sometimes required

We made it to the top, and back, but are happy to be eating something other than trail food.

Grizz

Images
    Nice trip report. Seems like a great Fathers Day present. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    I have family camped at Moose Brook State Park in Gorham. That is some pretty country up that way. I am surprised it only got down to the 40s near Mt. Washington, I would have thought colder. Did you see any moose at the lower elevations?

Nice trip report.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    For the most part the vegetation is quite dense and every night we needed to explore a bit to find trees far enough apart to hang. Here we're hanging all nicely in a row, the only time we found pairs of suitable trees that close.

Grizz
    Looks like a hammock train. WOOOHOOOO WOOOHOOO.

Nice report. Looks like you guys had a great time.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I recently spent about a week backpacking in the White Mountation National Forest, with sons Quantum Cat, and Hebrephrentic Lab Hamster. We all carried HH Explorers, Potomac underquilts, and MacCat Deluxe tarps. We hiked from a trail head at the south end of Franconia Notch, north through river trails to connect to the AT, then east to summit Mt. Washington, and back.

A couple of nights the trees I found were not far enough part to make the ridgeline taut. To tighten it up and so get the netting out of my face I had to make do with materials at hand. I use an old contact lens case to carry vitimin Advil, and wrapping the ridgeline around it a couple of times tightened things up nicely. The caps on these were enough to keep the whole thing from unraveling.

Along the river paths and up near ponds the bugs were intense. Intense. We'd hang the bags, cook the meal, and retreat to the security of the HH enclosure. Temps ran to 40s at night. We were snug with the Potomacs below, and kept dry from the evening showers under the MacCats. I found I liked to put my Thermarest seat under my posterior. Helped to level things out a little.

The closer we got to Mt. Washington the harder it was to find a place to hang. Some imagination was sometimes required

We made it to the top, and back, but are happy to be eating something other than trail food.

Grizz

i hiked from pinkum notch to kinsman notch last september
    i did this section south bound.
    day 1 madison spring hut
    day 2 lake of clouds hut.
    day 3 hung in my hammock across the trail on
    my desent to crawford notch.
    day 4 hung in my hammock on the porch at
    zealand falls hut.
    day 5 hung in my hammock on the porch at galehead hut.
    day 6 hung in my hammock at liberty springs.
    day 7 hung in my hammock at kinsman pond shelter.
    above treeline in new hampshire total less than 20 miles total
    neo

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Grizz
    nice trip report and pics neo

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Great trip!!!....but even better is that you and your sons have backpacking as glue to keep you all together as a family. So many kids don't want to be seen with their parents at that age :^)

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Great trip report!

I love the Whites. Great hiking, great camping, and great brewpubs!

We tend to go at least once a year. This winter we may do another snow shoe trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Cool report.

I have been playing around with the sit pad under the butt at night also. I think it helps me feel flater in the hammock too.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    What a great trip! Lucky Dad. Lucky sons.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast