Hammock
    Clark Vertex, NX-270 & TTM Single
    Tarp
    Vertex, hex fly,
    Insulation
    Z-liner- Alpinlite
    Suspension
    Varies

Major 'near miss' on my first hammock project!

So got the DIY kit from Kyle along with the netless hammock kit (Ripstop by the Roll) and fiddled around for two days of teaching myself the machine and sewing basics. A few little bags, one disaster (material related and realizing it wouldn't do what I wanted) and it was time to cut the hammock material and go for it!

Okay, I admitted I did the measure 5x then sat there with the scissors in hand quietly muttering "I can do this..." As if to reassure me my antique cat came over, layed on the fabric (he wanted to hold it in place, nice kitty) and began purring. Thus given a bit of aid I cut the fabric to the recommended 11'8". No sweat!

Next step, the hems. The first was good. Not perfect but someone would really have to look to see the inside fold wasn't quite 100%. Yes, I went slower than a Florida retiree on a 2 lane road but it was worth it. I was satisfied. Second hem was better! I even kept them on the same side! (mild near miss).

The real near miss? Getting ready to brave the first end-channel run, dropping something and catching an odd glint in the bobbin area. I had only a few wraps (2-3"?) left on the bobbin! Talk about cutting it close! (phwew) I would have no idea how to go back and fix it if I had run out. Lol

So, off to wind bobbins and take a needed mental break!

And somewhere in the back of my mind, amid two purring Maine Coon cats, is the realization that yes, I can do this! And if I can? So can you!
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    DIY asym tarp
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/ Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Lol. Don't worry, if you sew enough a seam ripper will be your friend. I've run out of bobbin thread. Just cut out what didn't have the bobbin thread and do a good back stitch. Or you can rip the whole seam if it's not much.

Don't forget, pictures or it never happened.

Hammock
    Super Nova
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Clews
    Suspension
    Rainbows
    Images
    Those darn bobbins! I cannot tell you how many times I have been sewing merrily along only to realize that my bobbin thread ran out several (sometimes many) inches back!

It is easily solved, though. Don't sweat it.

Wtg on your first hammock! I love seeing people pick up sewing and making their own gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    Hammock origins, not lost to time.

"The woods are full of eager interpreters" - Clifford Geertz

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    Lol. Don't worry, if you sew enough a seam ripper will be your friend. I've run out of bobbin thread. Just cut out what didn't have the bobbin thread and do a good back stitch. Or you can rip the whole seam if it's not much.

Don't forget, pictures or it never happened.
    This is sew ( pun intended) true. I've even gotten it down to a science at this point. Wwelcome to the diy addiction. Hammocks don't have to look perfect to be comfy. As long as it works it's a good job.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Vertex, hex fly,
    Insulation
    Z-liner- Alpinlite
    Suspension
    Varies
    I think for my first attempt this went really well. Stitches were much straighter than I expected, etc. Took it out for a test hang though it was gusting wind and spitting sleet. I brought my short stakes forgetting the saturated ground and after an hour or so the wind pulled them. (editors note, I really need to work on my tarp skills! Hmmm. And make snake skins! Yes!)
    The temporary suspension came from my Clark NX-270, I ordered the kit from Dutch to make Whoopie hooks/slings).
    Bonus: one of my test bags for seeing practice turned out to be the perfect size for the hammock and suspension!0129170401.jpg0129171438.jpg0129171444a.jpg0129170432.jpg
    _____

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Super Nova
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Clews
    Suspension
    Rainbows
    Images
    This looks fabulous!!!

I sew things on youtube.
    Hammock origins, not lost to time.

"The woods are full of eager interpreters" - Clifford Geertz

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh man -
    If you run out it wil just have a small area that is imperfect - but oh so annoying

Good looking stitches!!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    SLD/Dutch/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD/UGQ/HG/DIY
    Insulation
    LLG/UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Yes, you can! Nice job. Enjoy...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD
    View my featured outdoor gear printed fabric patterns at Ripstop by the Roll: Collections: BGD

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.7 oz ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 12, Silpol
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was the same way last summer when making my tarp. Laid it all out and just stared at it for a while. Measured it about 10 more times...yelled at the dogs form walking on it. Re-laid it out, stared at it...finally said it was all or nothing... lol

Now it is all down hill...I just want to make and make and make. I have made several little bags, a ridgline bag, corn hole bags, a corn hole bag bag and last weekend I cut the material for 2 hammocks. Next will be a bug net or 2, snake skins...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Vertex, hex fly,
    Insulation
    Z-liner- Alpinlite
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just picked up the material to make snake skins for my vertex tarp while orders from Ripstop and Dutch are on the way. Lots of ideas for ridgeline bags and such. Hmmm. Maybe I could become a cottage vendor for a variety of ridgeline bags?
    _____