WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Another Below Freezing Equipment Test

Here goes another one. Supposed to be about 22* tonight near Savannah, GA. Got the HULBA and OES SpinnUL tarp setup in the backyard. Pulled the ends around to close off the tarp, except for one corner for an entrance. Hung the DIY pad sleeve with a 1/4-inch ccf Landau foam pad (27"x89"), along with the new JRB Hudson River long beneath the pad. Will use the Nest as TQ.

Clothes - Patagonia lightweight top and bottom; knit poly skully; smartwool socks; UA type T-shirt and nylon hiking underwear.

Reserves for cold spot emergencies: wool or fleece gloves; fleece jacket; 20* NF Cat's Meow. I hate going hunting for more warm stuff in the middle of the night.

Results tomorrow. Maybe some pics if weather does not freeze the camera.
    If this works, Sunday morning and Monday morning are supposed to be in the teens. Another test???

Hoping this proves out to be the trail stuff for long distance hikes, except for the DIY pad and sleeve.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    22 in Savannah? I didn't know it got that cold there.

Have fun!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Occasionally we get into low teens. 20's are not too unusual for short periods. Better that last year when we were in 70s and 80s - WAY TOO HOT!
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    did you tie down the oes tarp like a parenthesis shape? () with your hammock keeping it separated??? i'd appreciate a picture

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    ohhhh nvm. saw you have the 11x10. i regret that i got the deluxe and didn't opt for a bigger size for winter use

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    ohhhh nvm. saw you have the 11x10. i regret that i got the deluxe and didn't opt for a bigger size for winter use
    I'll get a pic tomorrow. I have 5 tie-outs per side, so I can pull the ends into an "almost" closed position, similar to having doors but with some opening left on each end.

I had to go bigger to get the coverage I wanted. Much better than the old 8' x 10' I had.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    FAIL! Temp only got to 26*. Otherwise test was successful.
    Using the Nest only for top cover lasted about an hour. Not enough cover for my skinny bones. Pulled in the NF bag around midnight. Also put on the fleece jacket. Thereafter, only minor issues with a cool spot along the left shoulder. Feet and head were toasty. No moisture problems. Inside temp was 34* at 0700, outside was 26*.

The DIY pad sleeve and pad don't work well with the asym, so I ended up sleeping with the long axis on one side of the bottom closure. This kept the pad tight underneath, but caused the cool spot since I was on the left edge instead of being in the middle of the pad. Don't think I can adjust the hang of the sleeve to make the asym position comfortable, i.e., no air gaps.

Another try tomorrow night without the pad, using only the Hudson River as UQ. Temp should be in range of 20* to 25* again. Not sure that this will last very long as the pad gives significant heat advantage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rockdawg69

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    sweet setup with the tarp. ARG I BLEW IT!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Okay. Another attempt at 22*. And it finally got there at 0400.
    Changed the setup some from previous test last week. Took out the ccf pad and only had the JRB HR hung as UQ. Did not stake out sideouts on hammock so it could drape into HR. Used the North Face 20* bag inside as a bag and not as a TQ. Wrapped the HR over the foot-end to close off the footbox. Stuffed the Nest into the footbox out of the way. Same clothes as original test.

Results: Had to open the fleece jacket after 10 minutes in the hammock to vent. Took off knit skully for a few minutes and then back on after 10 or so minutes of cooling. No cold spots anywhere. Toasty all night. Could feel the contact with the HR and hammock by rolling until I felt the cold edge. Out at 0630. Temp inside hammock was 27.7*, outside was 22*. A little snow on inside of tarp and some breathing mositure on top of NF bag - dry everywhere else.
    Rockdawg69

• + New Posts